What controls reputation?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rustyallan

What controls reputation?

Post by Rustyallan »

In my current game, I went from admired to evil in about 10 minutes time. And I have no idea why? Is it for attacking without a declaration of war? I was at war, so I sent the fleet to attack. Then I apparently wasn't at war anymore since they got mad at me for attacking and declared war on me. Now I've got the whole galaxy declaring war on me because I'm evil.

The one thing that's still very unstable is relations. I've always gotten declarations of war from empires that I've been at war with for decades as far as I'm aware.

And before it's suggested, War & Trade Sanctions is set to manual, as is Agent Missions. Treaties, Diplomatic Gifts, and Attacks Against Enemies are all set to suggest.

I didn't have any problems until it suggested I kick some forces that I was at war with out of one of my systems... *I* didn't sign a peace treaty with them at least.

I'd love to know what's causing these reputation hits.
lordxorn

RE: What controls reputation?

Post by lordxorn »

From what I have noticed is that you can attack other empires units without a state of war, then you get a warning to stop. After this point you will get official war declaration, if you have been attacking on and off this could explain the rep hit.
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

From what I have noticed is that you can attack other empires units without a state of war, then you get a warning to stop. After this point you will get official war declaration, if you have been attacking on and off this could explain the rep hit.

That's what I figured. My problem is that I WAS at war with them and did not agree to peace. I'm trying to understand if there could be other factors before I pack it up in a tech support thread.

I've just about managed to tank this game's economy so It'll make an interesting upload. [;)]
lostsm

Post by lostsm »

what happened to me was that the AI said they acknowledge me as their overlord. I didn't agree to any of this, even though there is no option to agree or refuse, and i was about to attack them. it caused my rep to go down but I quickly redeclared war.

i dont know why that happens.. it should at least ask me if i even agree to their peace
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

what happened to me was that the AI said they acknowledge me as their overlord. I didn't agree to any of this, even though there is no option to agree or refuse, and i was about to attack them. it caused my rep to go down but I quickly redeclared war.

i dont know why that happens.. it should at least ask me if i even agree to their peace

I love the confusing "We set you free" message you get when an empire you subjugated wants you to let go of them. 5 minutes later, they usually declare war and I don't give a second chance at subjugation.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

The main point is that it's far too easy to accidentally blow away the wrong ship. If you hover your mouse over any ship, it shows as "Kill It", even if it's a neutral or allied ship. Given how often people randomly declare war on you, it becomes very impractical to tell who that is when you've got a million people attacking you.
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

ORIGINAL: Fishman

The main point is that it's far too easy to accidentally blow away the wrong ship. If you hover your mouse over any ship, it shows as "Kill It", even if it's a neutral or allied ship. Given how often people randomly declare war on you, it becomes very impractical to tell who that is when you've got a million people attacking you.

I'm not even having that problem since I'm not controlling what ships are attacked. My problem right now is that I'm assaulting planets which stopped being at war with me without my knowing.

I posted the savegame with my trashed relations due to this happening in the tech support forum.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”