Expansion planner sort options

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rustyallan

Expansion planner sort options

Post by Rustyallan »

When you start a fresh game and open the expansion planner, it lists potential colonies in the "recommended" order. If you click on any of the columns to change the sort order, how can you get it to change back and sort in the original "recommended" order?

lostsm

RE: Expansion planner sort options

Post by lostsm »

ive wondered that too. but is that original recommendation equal to what the AI thinks you need most?

would be nice also to be able to filter out asteroids/only show planets and moons
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

Whenever I leave it on autocolonize, it selects them in that order, so yes, I'd say it's what the AI thinks you need most.

Ugh, I'm not even thinking about the mining part, just the potential colonies.&nbsp; asteroid list on a large galaxy... <shudder>
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

The Expansion planner lists asteroids????

If it does I've missed that! How do you get it to do that?

JosEPh[&:]

"old and slow.....Watch out!"
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Tell it to list resource locations. It will list resourceable places instead of colonizable places.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: Rustyallan

When you start a fresh game and open the expansion planner, it lists potential colonies in the "recommended" order. If you click on any of the columns to change the sort order, how can you get it to change back and sort in the original "recommended" order?

I think you can't. Maybe I've moaned about this somewhere in the Master Wishlist thread already? Or I just always groaned inwardly.

This same applies to other lists. In some cases it is irrelevant, in others very annoying:

I like the standard sort order in the components list in Ship Designer. But once orderd by name, I do not know how to get it back. Of course, I'd like to have this order in the components of the ship under design as well, but there the only bearable ordering is by 'name' once a bit of editing has been going on.

The overview list of ship designs is especially irritating. The military ships with their 'ascending' roles at the top, the bases at the bottom, this is really ideal but only applies in the 'show latest only' list and only until it has been re-ordered somehow. If only the other listings were the same from the start, then I'd never need to re-order. When I want to get around the lists of non-obsolete or all designs, I almost have to. But then the listings may be messed up for good?

I think I once got it back to a sensible order by ordering the 'non-obsolete' list by the 'obsolete' column or something like that before going back to 'latest'. Don't sue me, if this doesn't work, please.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

are you sure its the recommended order? looked random to me.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: taltamir

Not sure, but when I have an uncolonized ice planet with ruins giving an empire-wide bonus, this planet is pretty close to the top, while all other ice planets (those that were showing up to 1.0.3) were at the bottom with only volcanic planets beneath.

So there seems to be a ranking by importance in the default list of colonization targets. Whether I'd agree with that ranking is a different matter. It at least looks to be not completely unreasonable. (unless what I remember seeing was mostly random chance)
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: sbach2o
ORIGINAL: taltamir

Not sure, but when I have an uncolonized ice planet with ruins giving an empire-wide bonus, this planet is pretty close to the top, while all other ice planets (those that were showing up to 1.0.3) were at the bottom with only volcanic planets beneath.

So there seems to be a ranking by importance in the default list of colonization targets. Whether I'd agree with that ranking is a different matter. It at least looks to be not completely unreasonable. (unless what I remember seeing was mostly random chance)

Sort by ruins and you will likely see there are MANY ruins that are not showing up even close to the top.
However, it could be that it is by priority... in which case it would be nice to be able to get back to it.

if it is completely random, then it should instead start instead on some method of sorting.

Since the AI needs to somehow decide where to colonize, there should exist already a function for sorting by "overall priority" and it should be available to the player.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

It looked random to me as well until the game where I left colonization on fully automated and didn't manually add any for a while. Then I noticed that it was colonizing the planets at the top of the "random" list. Continentals would usually always appear there. Native colonies would as well as some ruins.

I think I figured out how to get that list again, sort by the assigned colonizer column. (last column on right)

It's very handy. I usually sort by distance to grab everything nearby, but that helps point out where the AI thinks you should go, claiming more systems instead of just planets.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”