Music and Copyright

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Jarhead0331

Music and Copyright

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Is the background music in DW proprietary? I mean, was it composed specifically for the game? I ask because I just happen to be watching a video review on gamespot for the Wii game "Monster Hunter Tri" (don't ask) when I noticed towards the middle that the same DW music is playing in the background! I'm not sure if its music used by gamespot in editing their video or if its from the Wii game itself...either way, I wondered if this sample was used properly...

Just an FYI...

Here is the link.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/monster ... deo-review
de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
lordxorn

RE: Music and Copyright

Post by lordxorn »

LOL That is the DW music at about 2:56. Maybe the music is not Codeforce exclusive.
Jaimoe_MatrixForum

Post by Jaimoe_MatrixForum »

Ha! Yeah it is. I'm pretty sure it's edited into the review by gamespot, the music keeps going without skipping a beat even when the scene on the game changes.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

There are websites where companies can use music and sound effects from for their products...so I heard. I've noticed in some low budget movies the various music and sound effects from various small game companies.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

all music is copyrighted to its creators, automatically. You do not need to file anything.
Contracts are needed when there are multiple creators or multiple contributing partners (eg, recording studio contributes equipment and sound technicians) to determine who gets what rights.

Unless codeforce stipulated in its contract with the composer of the music that codeforce is the owner of the soundtrack, then it belongs to whomever composed it.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Ive heared matrix game music on multiple other games. And in other places too. The weirdest was propably hearing witp music in adult film.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Ive heared matrix game music on multiple other games. And in other places too. The weirdest was propably hearing witp music in adult film.

ha! that would sound pretty weird I guess... must make playing distant worlds awkward at times.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Most of these soundtracks are probably generic soundtracks that people plug in, so not a surprise. Other times the music may be an actual piece of music. I personally happen to like the Public Domain Soundtrack. There are distinct benefits to using material that belongs to people who are long dead and predate the invention of this "copyright" nonsense. The fact that their music is actually BETTER just goes to show that you don't need a copyright system to produce good work.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Fishman

Most of these soundtracks are probably generic soundtracks that people plug in, so not a surprise. Other times the music may be an actual piece of music. I personally happen to like the Public Domain Soundtrack. There are distinct benefits to using material that belongs to people who are long dead and predate the invention of this "copyright" nonsense. The fact that their music is actually BETTER just goes to show that you don't need a copyright system to produce good work.

I totally agree :)
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

It drove nuts trying to remember where I'd heard the 'Distant Worlds theme' before, until somebody kindly mentioned Storm Eagle's 'Jutland'.
Jarhead0331

Post by Jarhead0331 »

"Copyright nonsense"? I guess you've never created anything worth protecting from others who would want to profit off of your hard work, at your expense...
de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

ORIGINAL: Jarhead0331

"Copyright nonsense"? I guess you've never created anything worth protecting from others who would want to profit off of your hard work, at your expense...
Sure I have. I just don't see copyright as we have it as a good tool for this, as the system has become corrupt to the point where it no longer serves the purpose it was designed for, and instead is a bludgeon used to quash innovation and free speech.
Jarhead0331

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Sure I have. I just don't see copyright as we have it as a good tool for this, as the system has become corrupt to the point where it no longer serves the purpose it was designed for, and instead is a bludgeon used to quash innovation and free speech.

I respectfully disagree...however, this is neither the time nor the place for this very off topic debate.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

that is quite correct.
Wenla

Post by Wenla »

There are companies who sell background music for games etc. They take (or at least they should) take care of copyrights.

That's a reason why you can hear same music from different places.
Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision
pcall

Post by pcall »

I do like the DW musical score, but it's too bad that it's not an original score. I think it's never a good thing for a game's music to be heard in other sources of media. It makes the music come off as super generic. Before I was aware of this, I thought the score was very good since it sort of reminded me of music in Star Wars or another intergalactic space opera.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

You know, a thought just occurred to me. This game has a soundtrack? Because if there is one, I've never heard it. Where are you hearing this music?
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

You know, a thought just occurred to me. This game has a soundtrack? Because if there is one, I've never heard it. Where are you hearing this music?

The game's music output relies on Windows Media Player in a newer version, V11 I think.

I run the game on an old XP box that isn't internet connected and still with Media Player 9. I tried a download of the new package, but at the point where the installer blahed something about Genuine Windows Poo I didn't proceed.

I had a listen at the mp3 files in the Distant Worlds install directory, and hearing them in-game isn't so important to me. I rather prefer to insert a music CD. Games which don't block the CD drive rock.
Rustyallan

Post by Rustyallan »

ORIGINAL: sbach2o

The game's music output relies on Windows Media Player in a newer version, V11 I think.

I run the game on an old XP box that isn't internet connected and still with Media Player 9. I tried a download of the new package, but at the point where the installer blahed something about Genuine Windows Poo I didn't proceed.

I had a listen at the mp3 files in the Distant Worlds install directory, and hearing them in-game isn't so important to me. I rather prefer to insert a music CD. Games which don't block the CD drive rock.

I was wondering the same thing as Fishman... I've never heard music in game. Running on a fully updated (I thought) XP system... now I need to check on WMP11, which might not be updated since I only use WMP if absolutely necessary.

I usually turn in-game music down or off anyway since I've yet to see a game where it didn't produce noticeable lag at some point. Especially games with as much going on as DW has.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”