WaW version4T

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

RufusTFirefly

WaW version4T

Post by RufusTFirefly »

This is an AAR of the latest version of WaW.

Players in this theatre:
Tweber - Axis
Rufus - Western allies
Bombur - Russia + China
DRommel - Japan

As I made a lot of mistakes in my first game as player of Western Allies (tm.asp?m=2435096), I hope to do it better this time.

Nov 1939

Poland is already a protectorat of Germany. Some nations of the Balkan have joined Axis and invaded Yugoslavia. Tito´s army is defending since 2 turns now. Winter has come and all nations have to suffer the hard weather conditions. This might help the Yugoslavian units to survive a bit longer.

France is preparing for a German invasion, as well as Britain is. German subs are operating north of Scotland and near Iceland, but British navy managed to avoid any contact.

In opposite to the other game, Royal navy is still alive and has lost only one destroyer. Most big ships managed to pass the German subs and are now in safe areas. They are attached to different HQs. Therefore British GHQ has not to spend all production capacity for supply during winter turns, but is able to deploy units for strengthening the defence of the British islands.

Attachments
WaWvers4TNov39.jpg
WaWvers4TNov39.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 186 times
RufusTFirefly

RE: WaW version4T

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Jan 40

Yugoslavia is still able to stand the pressure of the invaders. But Belgrade is surrounded now and Tito´s army is fighting in a battle that is already lost.

German subs spotted at the English canal coast. Coast guard is alarmed.

It seems as if the amount of troops in Yugoslavia was increased in this version. Axis will need a lot of units to capture Belgrade. In previous version Yugoslavia was overrun quickly, now Tito´s army fights its thrid turn and has caused more losses for the attackers than it has to suffer itself. But no question, Yugoslavia wont survive all winter turns.

Attachments
WaWvers4T-Jan40.jpg
WaWvers4T-Jan40.jpg (179.94 KiB) Viewed 186 times
tweber

Post by tweber »

Feb 1940 turn.

After artillery barrage / air strikes, I was able to assault and capture Belgrade.  It was not pretty.

France must have move garrison out of the Maginot line because I was dealt the Western Blitz card early.  Last turn, I staged 2 fully loaded long range transports right of the coast of Amsterdam.  I was hoping to be out of recon of GB.  The move paid off and I was undetected.  I was able to land 100 riles along the coast.  I was able to capture all the channel ports up to Cherbourg.  The Blitz went well and I scooped up Amsterdam and Brussels.  I also dropped a para south of Paris to cut the rail line.  I expect to get Paris and Lille next turn and prevent the escape of any French troops.

From a tactical standpoint, have 100 rifles at sea during the winter was a good move.  They were not impacted by the weather and are in much better shape than the French troops they will soon face.

Strategically, having the fleet in the channel positions me well for Sea Lion.

Attachments
feb blitz.jpg
feb blitz.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 186 times
tweber

Post by tweber »

April 1940, Paris falls and I put 40 power points of troops ashore in the Southern UK.   I do not have a port.  I am also poised to invade Greece next turn.  Subs are sitting outside of all the ports south of Manchester.
british exil

Post by british exil »

@Tweber: You are on a fast time shedule, 1940 the european continent is speaking German, England is being invaded, the Balkans are opened for the gates to Greece.NA any plans? If you can really pull this off then you will be able to build a strong Army for the SU invasion.Who will then have the power to withstand the German forces? (Evil laughing!!) How come you can move so fast? Are the western allies so weak? Mistakes have been made by them which you could exploite?

@RufusTFirefly: [X(] You let France fall so fast? Have you got a worst case scenario backup plan? Southern England already with Germans on the soil. The free world or what is left of it is watching, hoping London does not fall.

Will be watching this AAR.
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
tweber

Post by tweber »

May 1940,

I declare a Vichy government to clean up to rest of France. I put a few more troops ashore on the UK but am careful to keep under 50 power points.  Plymouth is abandoned so I now have a port.  Still no signs of the GB fleet.  My subs launch a raid on Manchester that sinks a CVII at the price of 2 SSII.  I invade Norway taking the Western ports (I did not get the Northern card since I invaded the low countries early.  I also declared war on Greece and captured Salonika and reduced half of Athens with Level Bombers.
tweber

Post by tweber »

ORIGINAL: british exil

How come you can move so fast?

A couple of factors lead to my fast start: (1) France withdrew more than 50 power points from the Maginot line giving me the Western blitz card early; (2) GB sent fleet away allowing me to land in French channel ports in Feb; (3) GB fleet has not returned allowing me to launch a raid in the UK and grab a port (Plymouth).

There have been a few bumps: (1) It took a while to subdue Yugoslavia and I expect Greece to last a few turns. (2) I lost the Northern blitz card by my early invasion of Belgium, I will have to have to get both Denmark and Norway manually

I still have not made a full commitment to the invasion of the UK. The worse thing that can happen is for me to get above 50 power points, wake up the US East coast, and then thrown out of GB.

As for North Africa, alot of it will depend on what happens in GB. If the Brits send there fleets to the North, then I can be aggressive in the South. If not, I will have to be more careful. There really isn't much worth taking in the Mid East and it would be very difficult to try to project power into the India Ocean if I was lucky enough to capture the Suez.

cveta

Post by cveta »

Axis moves look nice but I wonder what is a point in partial invading of Engalnd? With 50 points or less you wont be able to take any major cities and without them you wont get a control of British isles.
Second thought - Britis isles and France must be defended like this - as soon as passible evacuate all units from France to Britain. This will give a better defend chance and will give a good raiding units later on.
In Yugoslavia . no point in defending the country. Evacuate as much as passible in Africa.
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups
cveta

Post by cveta »

And one word to Ruffus - tweber is a dangerous and terrible oponent you know that. Expect unexpected things from him. And be careful. In a long run you may win.

explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

It seems as if the amount of troops in Yugoslavia was increased in this version.

No changes there. The difference you're seeing is due to winter. It can be VERY difficult to attack during winter.
tweber

Post by tweber »

June 1940 turn sent.  Invasion of UK fully underway.  Dropped 5 fully loaded transports and 2 air transports this turn.  Hope to capture London quickly.  In Balkans, moving to Athens.  Sunk a transport in harbor and hope to prevent troop escape.

cveta

Post by cveta »

ORIGINAL: tweber

June 1940 turn sent.  Invasion of UK fully underway.  Dropped 5 fully loaded transports and 2 air transports this turn.  Hope to capture London quickly.  In Balkans, moving to Athens.  Sunk a transport in harbor and hope to prevent troop escape.

Please put a screenshot
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

ORIGINAL: cveta

Please put a screenshot

Hi Cveta, you will get some screenshots. [:)]
I want to have some turns delay between the report of what happened and added screenshots illustrating it. I have made some screenshots in preparation to next reports and will soon post some that show how the invasion of England proceeds.
tweber

Post by tweber »

July 1940 turn.

Landed another 5 tranports of troops in the UK and have London surrounded. I aslo have troops threatening Manchester.

Here is a picture below:

Attachments
julyuk.jpg
julyuk.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 186 times
tweber

Post by tweber »

Here is the map of North Africa. I have a large army but it is poor quality. A large number of French tanks escape from France and are now in the theater. Ran a bombing run on Cairo which was not too successful.

Further to the North, Athens fell. At sea, the Italian Navy sank 4 empty fast transports in the Med.

Attachments
julyna.jpg
julyna.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 186 times
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

ORIGINAL: tweber

Here is the map of North Africa. I have a large army but it is poor quality. A large number of French tanks escape from France and are now in the theater. Ran a bombing run on Cairo which was not too successful.

Further to the North, Athens fell. At sea, the Italian Navy sank 4 empty fast transports in the Med.

French GHQ has deployed an HQ at Marseille. Its only task was to evacuate as much of the French army as possible. These units are now fighting in Africa.

The landing crafts were meant to evacuated the Greece army. But Italien subs blocked the route and the evacuation was canceled.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Aug 1940.  A series of assaults on London fail with high casualties.  Bright side is I am able to eliminate alot of the defense including guns.  I will try again in September.

I capture Copenhagen and move to surround Olso.  Will assault next turn.

In the med, I sink 2 cargo ships and a fast transport in Gibraltar.  I also drop a loaded transport of troops along the coast near El Alamein.  I have cut the supply line to Allied tanks near Tobruk.  If I can keep them cut off for a turn or two, I will wipe them out.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Second Aug turn.  After 4 really ugly assaults, London fell.  Casualties for Sealion are quite high.  It will probably take a few turns to get to Manchester.

I did more landings in the Mid East.  This time, I landed in the Sinai to threaten Jerusalem.  I am heavily out gunned in the desert but my occupation of El Alemain has forced the allies to retreat.  This is a war on supply.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Sep 1940 turn. 

In the UK, I move forces North from London and invest greater Manchester pocket.  Subs sink a cruiser and a dd off the coast.

In the Mid East, I am able to wipe out a couple of the French units cut off in the desert.  They had several tanks but no supply.  Further east, I occupy Jerusalem which was abandoned by the allies.  I immediate build an HQ and sea transfer in units to expand on the beach head.  I hope to threaten both Kuwait and Cairo.
cveta

Post by cveta »

tweber - did you transport German units in N. Africa or you fight only with Italians? Jerusalem is without defences. Look like a great chance you got there. If Jerusalem is empty then Kuwait is also, so be fast.
Can you tell us a little more about attack on London. What was amount of units you were fighting with, did you use 200% bonuses and you did a few attack per round. Why so? Why not put all in one 200% bonus attack? Casultie according to inflicted demage? Thanks

Return to “After Action Reports”