UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Available

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

VarekRaith

RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available

Post by VarekRaith »

ORIGINAL: Lamb Chop

Screw DW's....
GoodOldgames.com released Moo2 Bundle that runs on xp/Vista win7.

Whoever designed DW did a good job but they got dragged down by an extremely "unskilled" programmer with no vision and idea about UI.

Just my 2 cents...

Armada and now this. I am learning to stay clear of anything carrying Matrix Games label in the future.

ability to patch a game fast is not a quality. It is a stop gap measure.
If they were so easy to fix, why was this game released as it was?

[8|]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Whoever designed DW did a good job but they got dragged down by an extremely "unskilled" programmer with no vision and idea about UI.

This is known as bashing. If you have criticisms, make them constructive and stop making assumptions.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
code99

Post by code99 »

Screw DW's....

Just my 2 cents...

Armada and now this. I am learning to stay clear of anything carrying Matrix Games label in the future.

hi to you too and welcome to the forums, hows the life ?

anyways, that ability to patch a game fast means that they care about their products and about their customers wich not many companies share this quality. (well, at least thats my opinion)
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

seems we have picked up some effots to discredit BOTH Matrix and DW,
while everything is not for everyone, DW is found by many to be fun, including myself.... the very minor bugs are not game threatening!
for interested parties check out third party reviews.. dw is a winner, perhaps the efforts of a few to discredit it are more  than simple malice?
"Tanks forward"
tgb

Post by tgb »

Tyranicus

Post by Tyranicus »

Dude are you for real? Distant Worlds is right up there with MOO2 and maybe even surpasses it. As for Armada Distant Worlds blows it out of the water. Listen these guys are workin really hard to bring us a great game and all your doing is bitchin'.
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

Hi Lambchop,

You sound like a nice person, will you be my friend.
Huh?
alexalexuk

Post by alexalexuk »

"geez the graphics are outdated!"

- at least they got the other 99% more important things 99% right, which make games playable and replayable for a longtime.

madpainter

Post by madpainter »

ORIGINAL: alexalexuk

"geez the graphics are outdated!"

- at least they got the other 99% more important things 99% right, which make games playable and replayable for a longtime.

And 90% of the graphics are moddable....actually scratch that.... modded [:)]

Screw DW's....

Just my 2 cents...

Really I think some people.
A. should stick to playing Xbox
B. Have been offended by matrix at some point in the past
C. Just love to troll

Rant over.....thanks for the updates.[;)]
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Elliot managed to fit two more fixes into today's Beta 2 update. Once we finish a quick internal test, we'll upload it for you all to look at as well.

- GxBO crash resolved
- Detached mining station bug fixed!

sweet... about the GxBO bug... did you use the file I uploaded "taltamir crash 04-21-2010.rar" (@3:53am today :P) which reliably produces it to narrow it down?
I am just curious.. I will continue to upload saves that reliably produce a crash... its just, if it was thanks to that then damn you guys are quick, since I uploaded it mere hours before the patch.
(at least, I think I remember it being that crash, maybe I have seen the GxBO often elsewhere and this is a different one?)
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

What a helpful post. Moo2 is different to DW. Why would you suggest people buy Moo2 if they were looking for a game like DW? Strange.

Your "2 cents" was about as helpful and constructive as a spade to the head.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

That guy was just trolling...

As for MOO2... great game, but the fact it is for MS-DOS or Win95 will turn off a lot of people... i recommend getting the DOS version and running it in dosbox. Apparently there is a fan patch for that version too.
jam3

Post by jam3 »

If i said I love you would that be going too far?

[;)]

Still pushing for a 0 tech level / 0 ships & bases start so you can have a saved design of ships that you can import that you don't have to redesign every new game due to the varying tech levels but thats minor compared to the name change fix.

Thanks again!!

Here's what's coming in Beta 2:

- Mass Retrofit button put back into Ships and Bases screen
- new research station designs fixed
- upgrading designs names them as "Old Design Name Mk2", etc
- Fleet system patrolling: select a fleet and right-click a system or star to patrol all of your colonies and bases in the system
- Fixed the NaN issue with income
- Manually controlled ships now automatically repair as well as refuel
- Improved auto-refueling for manually controlled ships so that will always refuel (e.g. when blockading a planet)
- Games will no longer start with ships that you cannot build (i.e. too big)
Munchies

Post by Munchies »

Hey everyone.
First time poster, but long time reader. [8D]

Wanted to get in on the beta testing now that I have more time to play.

After DLing the beta patch yesterday I noticed that I could not edit/design a defense base, monitoring station, or any of the research bases. It was treating them as frigates and an error popped up when I tried switching them to a different role. No matter what I tried, it wanted me to add engines and other equip that ships need.
Not sure if this was noted already or not. Or maybe it is only on my end?

Will play through a huge galaxy on chaos and max empires and test out the economy tonight and tomorrow. (after I DL the new beta patch)

Great work guys.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Munchies

Hey everyone.

After DLing the beta patch yesterday I noticed that I could not edit/design a defense base, monitoring station, or any of the research bases. It was treating them as frigates and an error popped up when I tried switching them to a different role. No matter what I tried, it wanted me to add engines and other equip that ships need.

Will play through a huge galaxy on chaos and max empires and test out the economy tonight and tomorrow. (after I DL the new beta patch)

Great work guys.

they mentioned in another post that they packed some wrong files into this patch, this would be fixed in 1.4beta2 which will be out today (one day after 1.4beta1)
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

Hey Erik

How come a guy gets warned for bashing when he doesn't like DW or Matrix but it's okay for others to bash him? I disagree with what the guy said and after you warned the guy that should have been the end of it. Seems pretty much like a double standard. True enough the guy was out of line but it was his opinion however agreeable or disagreeable. No need for others to get involved or pile on after you giving him a warning. We don't need bashers or personal testaments to how great Matrix or DW is. Keep it fair please.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

"Fleet system patrolling: select a fleet and right-click a system or star to patrol all of your colonies and bases in the system "

Woo I wished that, yay!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
jam3

Post by jam3 »

ORIGINAL: Munchies

Hey everyone.

Great work guys.

You can only "edit" when there isn't a ship or base of that name in existence. If you "edit" a design thats in existence it will open as read-only. To make changes to a ship/base that is in service click on "add as new" with the old design selected and it will copy the old design into a new a new ship/base named "copy of [old name]" then make your changes and rename it. Then goto the old design and mark it as obsolete. The "edit" feature is there so when your designing new ships/bases and you want to make a change before youbuild one you can quickly do it without having to obsolete a design that was never made.

If you already knew all this and are running into troubles hitting "edit" then yeah its probably a beta bug.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: taltamir

That guy was just trolling...

As for MOO2... great game, but the fact it is for MS-DOS or Win95 will turn off a lot of people... i recommend getting the DOS version and running it in dosbox. Apparently there is a fan patch for that version too.

As said above you can play it with modern OS too:

Still I played moos to death back then (I own both original) and I have no interest left on them. My current favorite is Distant Worlds and Im looking forward to Sots2 next year.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Aloid

Post by Aloid »

Elliot managed to fit two more fixes into today's Beta 2 update. Once we finish a quick internal test, we'll upload it for you all to look at as well.

- GxBO crash resolved
- Detached mining station bug fixed!

Dispite the fact that there is no beer in my fridge... I really like you guys! Excellent work!

Now I have to work on my own resupply and get back to the game.

Aloid

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”