"We instinctively dislike you". "why"

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

madpainter

"We instinctively dislike you". "why"

Post by madpainter »

"We instinctively dislike you"

Just wondering if there are any factors other then species that influence this figure, and what species naturally get along?

I notice government type gets its own modifier, so I assume that's not a factor.
OberonDark

RE: "We instinctively dislike you". "why"

Post by OberonDark »

Obviously the same species/type get along. I think some are neutral to each other too. 
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

They instinctively dislike you. That *IS* the why. They just don't like you. You're creepy and really ugly-looking. And you smell funny.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

I think it has to to with what race "Family" each race is listed in. I like it.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
shanicus

Post by shanicus »

I like the instinctively dislike part. Certainly, the Ant people should instinctively dislike the humans. Ants around us are not exactly treated well now are they?

Perhaps an option to turn this racial tendency off in the starting options would be nice. It reminds me of finding Genghis Khan in Civ 4, I always knew that he would want to fight me somewhere down the road. Or Montezuma.
DJ Swagger
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Honestly, the instinctively dislike part is a very minor element that pretty much is overridden by the first deal you make.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I don't know about you... but if a sentient alien race looked like a bug or a giant snarly toothy hungry predator, or just smelled really bad...
well, I would "instinctively dislike" them too.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

AI: I don't[/b] like[/b] you[/b] either. You[/b] just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

DW Player: I'll be careful.

AI: You[/b]'ll be dead!

*sorry, but it's the obligatory StarWars reference. We return you to your regular programming.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Surely there are many reason not to like somone. Even if they are the same race and som can like other races more than his own. "Look at that cute doggie!"
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Surely there are many reason not to like somone. Even if they are the same race and som can like other races more than his own. "Look at that cute doggie!"

there is a race of sentient dolphins... and some are just cute fuzzy little animals... how can you NOT like them instinctively :P
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

Who likes insects?
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Who likes insects?
Funny enough thats why I asked the question, It seems (in my limited experience) nobody likes bugs.
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: madpainter

Who likes insects?
Funny enough thats why I asked the question, It seems (in my limited experience) nobody likes bugs.

I like tarantulas. They are big, furry, move slowly and are not at all aggressive. At least the ones I've met [:D]
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

ORIGINAL: Gargoil
ORIGINAL: madpainter

Who likes insects?

I like tarantulas. They are big, furry, move slowly and are not at all aggressive. At least the ones I've met [:D]
You sir, are a genius.
I feel a spot of modding coming on.
What should I call my new arachnid race?[;)]
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

I like tarantulas
I saw them this summer when I was on holiday in the Peruvian jungle. Especially the females get really big and scary, but they dont move if you come close. They will just keep sitting their on the tree. They are not afraid of humans. The scary thing was that they were only 5 m from my bed.
Astorax

Post by Astorax »

The Dhaygut? [:'(]
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

There are arachnids:
Dhayut
tm.asp?m=2386321&mpage=1&key= (Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.)
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: JonathanStrange

AI: I don't[/b] like[/b] you[/b] either. You[/b] just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

DW Player: I'll be careful.

AI: You[/b]'ll be dead!

*sorry, but it's the obligatory StarWars reference. We return you to your regular programming.
DW Player's Ally lops off an arm of the AI with a light saber.
Lord_Astraios

Post by Lord_Astraios »

[:D][:D]  I do remember that scene but also the scene in Robot Chicken spoof of star wars were the poor guy was an architect and the other guys his co worker getting him in trouble and drunk then luke cut his arm,  then he couldnt draw a house.

But the spider race is the least i seen,  the only one that pops out each time i made a new game is the ants.
*That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”