Continue building Yamoto or not?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

guctony

RE: Continue building Yamoto or not?

Post by guctony »

I just want others thoughts on whether it is worth continuing production of the Yamato class battleships. There may already be too much resources put into the original Yamoto to stop now. But what about the sister ship? Maybe those resource could be put to better use like speeding up production of Carriers instead??!!!

I am not the expert But it seems the decision comes with your play style. On one to one play I suggest battleship build up. Because when you try to keep up with production and shipping stuff it is overwhelming and very distracting. micro managing Fleet actions and keeping good intel is hard to do.
Those BBs gives a more carefull approach to allied player. He has to think twice before commiting his main landing parties before 1944. So it gives good breathing space to japan player.
But if you play cooperative team playing it is logical to go for CVs where you have ample empty brain space to nurse carefull coordinated KB blows to Allies. CVs are agressive solution and BBs are much more defensive solution. In my opinion on one to one play we are lost in strategical action. But operational ability is a MUST in this game.
In my point of view BBs are more of a strategical asset and CVs are real operational asset. In mid 1944 non matters because Japan is overwhelmed. what matter is how japan player will be able to nurse her main striking force and overwhelm allies in every major operational clash. Its a dialemma.

A good player with super cool insticts and agrassive stand should prefer CVs above all. But a defensive strategical player should go with BBs with mixture of early CVs.
"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

You have to build the Yamato and Musashi- otherwise it just doesn't feel like you are playing the Japanese side. Shinano- I agree -no national pride bound up with a converted ship that got sunk on maiden voyage.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Also the Shinano was a poor conversion - could only carry 47 planes which is amazing considering how big it was! Even the IJN admitted it wasn't suitable for fleet operations & planned to be used for support/R&R
jimh009

Post by jimh009 »

ORIGINAL: Lord Sunderland

You have to build the Yamato and Musashi- otherwise it just doesn't feel like you are playing the Japanese side. Shinano- I agree -no national pride bound up with a converted ship that got sunk on maiden voyage.

Yeah, I agree! As the Allied player, you are always wondering where the Yamato and Musashi are at, especially when engaging in amphibious assaults. Without the Yamato and Musashi running around, it just wouldn't be the same!!
Zemke

Post by Zemke »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Just like Allied ship withdrawals, there should be very heavy PP cost for not building certain ships. Yamato and her sister ship were issued of naval and national pride. Any officer or politician who advocated this course most likely would have been sword gutted by some right wing fanatic. Too easy for the Japanese player to cancel major ships IMHO.

I agree 100%, politically not building them was not an option.
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
Zemke

Post by Zemke »

Oh yes, and they did and do kick A!
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Still thikn there shuold be an option at the beginning for the IJ player to finish the Shinano in it's original BB-guise and not as the poor CV-replentishment ship. It would have been of far more use to the IJN as a BB, despite the carrier becoming the more important capital ship during WWII...

Return to “The War Room”