[Release] Racial Troop Icons! *Updated* 2.0

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

evildoer

[Release] Racial Troop Icons! *Updated* 2.0

Post by evildoer »

Hey space dictators!

Maybe i'm the only one who's noticed this.. but I though having the same boring square tank as a troop icon for all the different races is abit too.. well boring, so I decided to try and mix it up a little, by giving each race their own troop icon.

Now I realize these "troops" are made so tiny in game that you can't actually make out much detail, but they made changing them really easy - and I enjoy messing about in photoshop. [:D]

So, with this mod you will be able to see unique troop icons for all the different races. If you don't like some of them, feel free to change them to something more appropriate. They can be any size or form. Hopefully this will add more personality to the different races. Details like these really add to game atmosphere, in my opinion.

Mostly i've used the existing racial art provided with the game and simply modified them in small ways.
This way they won't look exactly like the race icons we see on the on the planet info screen.

For a few races i've tried to find appropriate pictures besides the basic portraits.
So if the troop description says "mech" I've put the picture of a mech as the troop.

I'm hoping some future update will add the possibility to view the larger version of the troop in-game, maybe by adding it to the troop menu somehow?
Click on troop at the planet screen ---> get directed to a larger pic. This might encourage talented people to make proper troop images [:'(]

I'll post some examples below.

Download here, now updated with more troops. See below.
I had to remove the alternate troops from this main attachment, cause it was growing over 5mb. You can download them in another file, on page 2 of this thread.
Attachments
TroopIcons_ 2.0.zip
(4.68 MiB) Downloaded 1073 times
evildoer

RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons!

Post by evildoer »

Examples:

Attachments
troopsexamples1.jpg
troopsexamples1.jpg (631.27 KiB) Viewed 599 times
evildoer

Post by evildoer »

Examples:

Attachments
troopsexamples2.jpg
troopsexamples2.jpg (642.18 KiB) Viewed 599 times
nicodede62

Post by nicodede62 »

Nice work [;)].
Too bad the icons either so small, once in game.
- Pour l'Empereur -
FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

Awesome. You're right though, the icons are so tiny you can't barely make them out in game (the original just looks like an armor plate).

I laughed when I saw the Zenox troop, dunno why [:D]
Joram

Post by Joram »

Despite the games limitations, very creative, looks great.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Nicely done!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

Very nice

This forum realy need to make a sticky for all this!!!
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

Holy crap why are these so sexy..........I would spill in joy to see this once every now and then when my troops take over a worlds and I get a pop up with this image detailing thier success.....
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

To me, the Securan one looks the best, but they are all excellent. Kaidan and Zenox are also very, very good looking...I like the way those 3 armors look. While the art work with the Human armor is superb, it doesn't seem it would be practical in use due to limited visibility and being too bulky.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

Good job, I know that in game they will just look like tiny blobs. But it still bugs me that all the original pictures are all the same.
D.W.O.H

Post by D.W.O.H »

they are sweet and maybe they can make the graphic bigger in the game in some future patch?
Democratic Worlds Of Humanity.
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

ORIGINAL: D.W.O.H

they are sweet and maybe they can make the graphic bigger in the game in some future patch?
Perhaps the "colony invaded" message could include the troop picture of the conquerers.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

They look sweet, love how they fit each race size and disposition. Kaidians look so sexy.
D.W.O.H

Post by D.W.O.H »

yes please upload as i would use with the current situation even if they are small I can still see a much better graphic then default
Democratic Worlds Of Humanity.
evildoer

Post by evildoer »

Hey all, thanks for your positive replies and feedback.

Good ideads aswell! I like the one were the troop pops up in an invasion report.
Hopefully something like that can be implemented in a future update..[:)]

I'm going to try working on more of the "basic" ones when I have the time. Giving the Ackdarian troop better armor is next on the list.

In the meantime please use the attachment in the first post for the current troop images, including the samples above.

Enjoy.
Fishman

Post by Fishman »

Heh. I'm not sure Ackdarian troops HAVE better armor, given that Ackdarian troops suck. In contrast, although there is little to strongly indicate that it is so, Kiadians are one of the fiercest fighters in the game, despite having no indication that they are a warrior race at all. Your Quamenos look way more fearsome than they actually are, given that Quamenos share lower-tier status along with the Ackdarians.
evildoer

Post by evildoer »

Your Quamenos look way more fearsome than they actually are, given that Quamenos share lower-tier status along with the Ackdarians.
I thought of this, but the Quamenos needed a mech so there you have it. [:'(]
You could immagine they use relatively few of these mechs on the battlefield, in essence going for "quality" over "quantity".
But in the end it dosn't give them any advantage over the more warlike races.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Well the froggies are very technological so I think a mech fits though agree it sure looks mighty fierce!  The Zenox are supposed to be pretty technological too so I like the full body armor.  Maybe they should have a personal shield too.  :)  PS, love the ears.
OberonDark

Post by OberonDark »

Those are awesome. Is it possible that we could get the troop icons seperately? Like just them on a white backround?

Return to “Design and Modding”