Modding the size of the galaxy or number of sectors

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Interesting

Modding the size of the galaxy or number of sectors

Post by Interesting »

I would like to increase the size of the galaxy map.

Something like, 100 sectors equal to one Supergrid, and then make a bunch of Supergrids connected to each other, so we end up having 100 Supergrids.

LETS MOD IT! Right now the so called "mmo scale" "epic" is just little tiny tiny galaxy.

LETS DO THIS.
OverlordCW

RE: Modding the size of the galaxy or number of sectors

Post by OverlordCW »

The size is most likely hardcoded.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

I can imagine the performance issue you would encounter at that size, which is why I imagine the galaxy size is the same no matter how many stars you choose.
astote

Post by astote »

i don't mean to be combative, but by "LETS MOD IT" , do <bold>you/<bold> intend to work on this, or are you just asking other people to do it for you?

If you are after more systems then i don't think you will get much interest, as it is, a fully developed "epic" galaxy is already a burden on even a good computers hardware. You would need a supercomputer to handle a galaxy 100 times the largest galaxy the game has.

IF instead you want a greater distance between planets then you should realize that no matter what scale the galaxy is, when you zoom out to view the entire galaxy, it will appear exactly the same on your screen. (and if you want 100 times more planets, this view would be utterly useless, or else you would need a monitor 100x bigger or resolution 100x better)

IF you want the travel times between the planets to be longer to emphasize the vastness of space, then the way to do this is not by making the map bigger but slowing down time or the travel rate of ships (the latter option if you still want colonies to go about business at 'regular' speed).

Essentially, space and time are relative (and related) and since this game already gives you decent control of both, you already have good control of how "epic" you want your game to be.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

I think that is the sort of size left best for a 64-bit game. :)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Sliverine

Post by Sliverine »

i have a pretty good comp and as such, i dont really get much lag or performance issues in game regardless of what size or the number of ships and objects currently flying about on my screen. But having played on far inferior comps before, i can easily guess the amount of lag u are going to get just by playing a galaxy twice as big as the 1400 one we have now. If the simultaneous actions and automation functions going on at the same time in a galaxy that size does not kill your processor, simply rendering all that clutter and at the same time, providing seamless zooming to any level at any place you desire will.
If my lawn were emo, it would mow itself
Okim

Post by Okim »

It would be enough to have more than 10x10 sectors galaxy with the same limited number of stars that we have now. 100 sectors just too few for 1000 or 1400 stars to normally fit in. A huge (20x20 sectors for example) 1000 stars galaxy with the same distance between stars as we now have while playing 100-250 stars would be great.
Antario

Post by Antario »

im afraid this will go into the 'impossible on current hardware' bin

a good pc will run epic pretty smoothly, the size your proposing is simply impossible for any (home) system to handle

so unless you wanna play on a super comp forget it :P
lostsm

Post by lostsm »

im sure with the right rig you can run it no problem

the thing is, you can not mod this. just look at the files. there is nothing we can change asides from game assets, like images for example

anything game rule is hardcoded. tech cost, build times, attack and defense scores, income rules, diplomacy score rules, galaxy configuration, default ship designs, and especially the size of the game universe and the stars it contains.

probably why the game has a lot of bugs
nubbin77

Post by nubbin77 »

To be clear, is the galaxy size (x , y) always the same, its just the density of the amount of starts changes from 100 to 1400?&nbsp; If that's the case I think I will start making most of my games using like 100 stars.&nbsp; That way each system becomes that much more important and travel time is increased&nbsp;(just more my cup of tea). I also want to be able to support less ships and such.&nbsp; I like maneouver and positioning to be most important in regards to military aspect of the game.
code99

Post by code99 »

ORIGINAL: nubbin77

To be clear, is the galaxy size (x , y) always the same, its just the density of the amount of starts changes from 100 to 1400?  If that's the case I think I will start making most of my games using like 100 stars.  That way each system becomes that much more important and travel time is increased (just more my cup of tea). I also want to be able to support less ships and such.  I like maneouver and positioning to be most important in regards to military aspect of the game.

no, the galaxy size (talking about x and y) changes along with the star density. That is because if u had the galaxy (x, y) the size of the 1400 stars galaxy but only 100 stars in it, then warping between stars would have been very very very slow due to fuel shortage (unless u build ships with tons of fuel cells), even with enough fuel and latest warp drive going from one corner of the galaxy to the other would take quite some time. I understand why you would like it to be that way, imo the game would appear more realistic and more strategic oriented.

astote

Post by astote »

I have found that DW only uses a max of 1 gig ram, I assume this is a limitation of 32bit games because i can't seem to force it to use more. if that is the case then it doesnt really matter how good your system is.&nbsp;
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

ORIGINAL: code99

To be clear, is the galaxy size (x , y) always the same, its just the density of the amount of starts changes from 100 to 1400?  If that's the case I think I will start making most of my games using like 100 stars.  That way each system becomes that much more important and travel time is increased (just more my cup of tea). I also want to be able to support less ships and such.  I like maneouver and positioning to be most important in regards to military aspect of the game.

no, the galaxy size (talking about x and y) changes along with the star density. That is because if u had the galaxy (x, y) the size of the 1400 stars galaxy but only 100 stars in it, then warping between stars would have been very very very slow due to fuel shortage (unless u build ships with tons of fuel cells), even with enough fuel and latest warp drive going from one corner of the galaxy to the other would take quite some time. I understand why you would like it to be that way, imo the game would appear more realistic and more strategic oriented.

Actually... the galaxy size (x,y) "does" stay exactly the same. A-J x 1-10, and each sector is the same size. The stars are simply spaced out quite a bit more when you play on 100 vs 1400.

Warping between stars in a 100 star galaxy actually IS very slow compared to a 1400 star galaxy.
code99

Post by code99 »

ORIGINAL: richieelias
ORIGINAL: code99

Actually... the galaxy size (x,y) "does" stay exactly the same. A-J x 1-10, and each sector is the same size. The stars are simply spaced out quite a bit more when you play on 100 vs 1400.

Warping between stars in a 100 star galaxy actually IS very slow compared to a 1400 star galaxy.

hmmm, i tought it changed the x,y too, probably didnt pay attention to that
everyday discovering something new :D
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Galaxy size is constant always
It's number of stars that change

Personally, I think an option should be included to also change map size, which will allow different combinations of maps in itself
So for example, we could have tiny galaxy with 1400 stars or even a huge galaxy with only a 100 stars (for the very patient few lol)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

So for example, we could have tiny galaxy with 1400 stars or even a huge galaxy with only a 100 stars (for the very patient few lol)

It would certainly slow down gameplay, which might be useful for newcomers. The more options the better, I say.
Udelar

Post by Udelar »

Personally, I'd be happy with a reduction in hyperspace speed, (perhaps based on galaxy size). The fact that your starting ships are "in range" of half the galaxy and can cross it in a very brief time seems to me to make hyperdrive research a lot less desirable than I feel it should be.
machrisr2000

Post by machrisr2000 »

I am not a modder and found this forum while looking for a mod to increase the size of the map in Distant Worlds. I therefore agree with "Interesting", who said "let's do this!" while freely admitting to "Astote" that what I mean is "could someone please do this because I cannot". I understand from the threads here that the experienced modders found map size to be hard coded and unalterable. The reason I (and others) would like a larger map is that even with basic technology you can build ships capable of getting across the galaxy. This ruins the "position and maneuver" as discussed by "nubbin77", "Code99" and "Udelar". If any of you played the original Master of Orion, you probably remember how taking and holding certain strategic systems was critical to victory--your ships did not have the range to go pass them by. Is there any way "Astote's" suggestion that ship speed and range be reduced can be done?
machrisr2000
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

You could make the galaxy larger in the sense of more systems.
I am a programer, and coded a MS VB game. I had a galaxy of 3 dimensions and 15,000 systems based entirely on a database.
It had troops and an open ended ships and fighters... and companies of ground forces and special forces and facilites like ground fighter bases...
BUT.
It was SLOW -- End-of-Day on a fully developed galaxy where all the ships were moved, all the stuff was built took 15 minutes.
Each system only had one feature like a Jovian planet or Earth planet and so on.
There was a real limit.

And for this game, DW, to be real time, there had to be some limits as to what they could do.
I would love to have a HUGE galaxy, but real time I think it would be next to impossible with the current computers.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Design and Modding”