He-177 Greif

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Wild

He-177 Greif

Post by Wild »

Will the engine reliablility problems of the He-177 be factored in somehow.
I think i may have asked this question before and someone replied that only AFV's have a reliability rating.
It seems to me that as Germany's only real heavy bomber it would be quite important to simulate the engine problems in some way. What does everyone else think?
aspqrz02

RE: He-177 Greif

Post by aspqrz02 »

And will it be able to dive bomb?

[:D][:D][:D]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Banzan

Post by Banzan »

ORIGINAL: aspqrz

And will it be able to dive bomb?

Now you made me laugh :)
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Aircraft reliability has been added but it's generic, i.e. not based on individual models.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Aircraft reliability has been added but it's generic, i.e. not based on individual models.

It could be set for the individual model. Also there should be reduced reliability for the equipment just entered a production.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Wild

I think i may have asked this question before and someone replied that only AFV's have a reliability rating.
It seems to me that as Germany's only real heavy bomber it would be quite important to simulate the engine problems in some way. What does everyone else think?

Unlike in WIR where people could go crazy producing He-177s, the fixed production of WitE means that a comparatively small number of these aircraft are produced in the game. In a strategic sense this limited production run simulates the operational problems of the aircraft. This isn't to say you couldn't add a special readiness modifier for this aircraft but it seems an unnecessary complication given how minor a factor the aircraft is in the game.
Wild

Post by Wild »

ORIGINAL: jaw

ORIGINAL: Wild

Unlike in WIR where people could go crazy producing He-177s, the fixed production of WitE means that a comparatively small number of these aircraft are produced in the game. In a strategic sense this limited production run simulates the operational problems of the aircraft. This isn't to say you couldn't add a special readiness modifier for this aircraft but it seems an unnecessary complication given how minor a factor the aircraft is in the game.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the replies guys.
janh

Post by janh »

I think a special readiness modifier for any new type of equipment (the first series models of Tigers, Panther, anything fundamentally new and untried) should be there. This would also then avoid issues if people in the future would mod production rates, or if you guys would ever decided to make this player manageable again (which I would very much desire).
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: janh

I think a special readiness modifier for any new type of equipment (the first series models of Tigers, Panther, anything fundamentally new and untried) should be there. This would also then avoid issues if people in the future would mod production rates, or if you guys would ever decided to make this player manageable again (which I would very much desire).

To a degree this situation is already simulated in that new AFVs don't immediately go into service but vehicles with a known history of being unreliable have a greater chance of breakdown. These ratings were not applied to aircraft because we already had the readiness concept for aircraft. I should also point out that your tolerance for failure is a lot lower for things that fly in the air than for things that move slowly on the ground. You can tolerate your tank breaking down a few times on the march from Minsk to Smolensk but you don't want your plane falling out of the sky on the same trip.
janh

Post by janh »

That's correct, fault tolerances would have to depend on type of equipment, too. In a game dedicated to get many details correct, it would be nice to see that taken into account explicitly by some obvious factor. But great that it is at least modeled in some way.
Wild

Post by Wild »

One more question relating to aircraft.
Is there a service rating for planes like in WitP-AE that reflects the amount of time it takes for each aircraft type to get damaged planes operational and ready for combat.
In Witp-AE aircraft with bad service ratings are often caught on the ground repairing when the enemy does airfield strikes.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

No there is nothing like that in WitE.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

So what kind of damaged aircraft model is there for calculating how long it takes for aircraft to become operational again, if it isn't a service rating? Is it abstracted into reliability?
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

So what kind of damaged aircraft model is there for calculating how long it takes for aircraft to become operational again, if it isn't a service rating? Is it abstracted into reliability?

The chance for damaged elements to repair themselves is based on level of supply, support, and experience. I believe some damaged elements can also get sent back to the production pool (assuming the unit is not isolated) which represents being repaired in a rear area and those elements then become available as replacements for units needing them.

WitE alpha/beta tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”