[RE-RELEASE] Amarr shipset

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

richieelias

[RE-RELEASE] Amarr shipset

Post by richieelias »

Full Amarr shipset at 500x500 complete with alternate perspective stations.

Working on Minmatar today.
Attachments
Amarr01.zip
(4.87 MiB) Downloaded 844 times
richieelias

RE: [RE-RELEASE] Amarr shipset

Post by richieelias »

Part 2

Attachments
Amarr02.zip
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 522 times
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

Part 3
Attachments
Amarr03.zip
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 465 times
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

And a small preview of the shipset!

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of the alternate (perspective) Station views as opposed to the normal top down view. I figured since stations dont move, it helps to separate them from the ships in addition to making them much more visually appealing.

Attachments
AmarrPreview.jpg
AmarrPreview.jpg (239.69 KiB) Viewed 474 times
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

ORIGINAL: richieelias
I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of the alternate (perspective) Station views as opposed to the normal top down view. I figured since stations dont move, it helps to separate them from the ships in addition to making them much more visually appealing.
Yep IMO stations veiwed from above generally suck. It may be more realistic but realism be damned so long as they look cool.
astote

Post by astote »

why not put pics of all the ships?
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

ORIGINAL: astote

why not put pics of all the ships?

Hehe, well theres over 30 ships and stations included... So to put them up in a decent size would take a whole pages worth of posts
Antario

Post by Antario »

thumbs up for the tilted view of the stations, looks > realism in this case

adds a little 3d to the otherwise a bit to much 2d...
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

3d perspective for the station is just awesome, and there is nothing unrealistic about it, in fact it would be more unrealistic to have every single object in a solar system be on the exact same angle, right? Keep it up!! :)

One thing though, the ships themselves seem a bit dark and un-shaded. Or rather, not lit up. [:(]
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

I'm still figuring out how to do the textures right. They get extracted from the game in one file which then has to be separated in photoshop manually... Then you have to apply them in a special way inside max based on the numbers in another file.. takes a lot of time. So what you have here is just the base texture without any extras like normal maps and glows and such. Doing all the little extras will take a LOT of time to finish on all the models, but it will get done eventually.

Also, it is impossible to get all the objects facing the same angle as the game seems to rotate stations randomly when they are built. I never even noticed it did this till I put in the perspective stations.
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

Ok, this is what theyll look like if I take the time to extract all the textures correctly, fix the lighting, and apply everything correctly on the model. Takes forever to do though. I'm doing this with all the Minmatar ships so it probably wont be done until Friday or so.

And here you have the Cyclone:

Attachments
Cyclone.jpg
Cyclone.jpg (83.89 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Sir Digby

Post by Sir Digby »

I wonder how the ships would look like in the 3d/isometric perspective that you used for the stations...
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

Hehe, I imagine it would look like very very ugly on ships. With all the turning and such it definitely wouldnt look right at all.

I'm almost finished with minmatar now. Heres a preview of the Firetail with textures corrected and all the proper glows added:

Attachments
Firetail2.jpg
Firetail2.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 453 times
code99

Post by code99 »

great work, looks awesome
Hope u added the engine trail for the ships cause the amarr and caldari ones didnt have the engine trails
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

Right now I'm releasing the shipsets without any extras added at all so that modders can use them and add engine trails/lights however they prefer. If I were to include engine trails and lights in these releases then modders would be stuck with them however I made them. I feel that a "base" set of ship graphics is more useful to the modding community.
code99

Post by code99 »

good point, i would add them myself, not so hard but the problem is that i cant open all ur ship files (tried with paint, photoshop cs4 and some other freeware i got), i get an error "file either damaged or the format is not supported" (something like that anyways) so adding the engine trails becomes impossible.

EDIT: actually, paint wont open ANY of your ships while photoshop opens some of em and the rest i get that error
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

I'm not surprised that paint wont open them (and mspaint does not handle .png correctly anyway). Photoshop should though. I have photoshop cs2 and it opens all of them fine.
Sir Digby

Post by Sir Digby »

@code99: cs2-4 should open any .png file; are you sure you are oepning them with PS and not with a side tools like ImageReady? 
code99

Post by code99 »

yes im sure, been using photoshop for years now ...
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

Wow these ships are beautiful! Thank you, and keep up the good work, it is appreciated [:)]

Return to “Design and Modding”