[Release] Star Trek Sound & Music Pack

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Fulgaris

[Release] Star Trek Sound & Music Pack

Post by Fulgaris »

Here's a sound pack that I've created for the game that should be used in conjunction with Conflictx's Star Trek TC mod here: tm.asp?m=2432785

In comparison to the sounds Conflictx has included, I believe mine are more genuine to the universe.

I've managed to change quite a bit of things to make it seem more of a Star Trek atmosphere. Since the sound pack is limited, by design of the limitations of modding at present, the sounds may appear to be cross eras and races. At present, it appears there's no way to be able to change it so that a particular race has a particular sound effect (e.g. a Romulan phaser rather than a Federation one). Regardless, things sound pretty good to my ear according to the Star Trek universe. I've also changed some other things which really didn't suit my fancy, such as ambient noise, etc. Feel free to listen to each sound file and replace what you feel is necessary.

I've also managed to upload a music pack that may suit the Star Trek atmosphere.

Here's the sound pack:
http://rapidshare.com/files/376048653/S ... d_Pack.rar
MIRROR: http://www.filefront.com/16134923/Star_ ... _Pack.rar/
Unrar this to the Distant Worlds/Sounds/ directory. Be sure to back up your existing sound effect files, as these will override them otherwise.

Here's the music pack:
http://rapidshare.com/files/376055218/S ... c_Pack.rar
MIRROR: http://www.filefront.com/16136921/Star_ ... c_Pack.rar

I'm assuming you'll be using the previously talked about TC, so just unrar this and put it in the Distant Worlds main folder. When done the "Music" folder should be in the Distant Worlds/Customization/Star Trek/ directory.
Conflictx

RE: [Release] Star Trek Sound & Music Pack

Post by Conflictx »

Nicely done, I wanted to update the sounds myself as the current ones were just added to add to the Star Trek feeling.
I'll add a link to this post in my post.

shinobu

Post by shinobu »

Thanks a lot for these Fulgaris. Downloaded and in use...
deanco2

Post by deanco2 »

I was hoping this mod (which I like, BTW) would address the sound imbalance present when shields are gone.  Unfortunately, it makes it worse (which, I know, was not the mod's intent to fix anything).

The 'shot' sound is too soft compared to the 'hitting armor' sound.  So you have 2 ships firing at each other, and it's going pewpewpewpew then suddenly BOOM BOOM BOOM when the shields are gone.  Disturbs the neighbors.  :)

If I get some time this week I may mess with the stock sounds to address this.

BTW, why is there no 'shot hitting shields' sound?
code99

Post by code99 »

ORIGINAL: deanco2

I was hoping this mod (which I like, BTW) would address the sound imbalance present when shields are gone.  Unfortunately, it makes it worse (which, I know, was not the mod's intent to fix anything).

The 'shot' sound is too soft compared to the 'hitting armor' sound.  So you have 2 ships firing at each other, and it's going pewpewpewpew then suddenly BOOM BOOM BOOM when the shields are gone.  Disturbs the neighbors.  :)

If I get some time this week I may mess with the stock sounds to address this.

BTW, why is there no 'shot hitting shields' sound?

+1

maybe a volume increase for the laser sound and a volume decrease for the "armor hitting" sound might work and adding a sound for "shield hitting" would be great

the rest is quite nice

Return to “Design and Modding”