Gary's Galactic Construction Yard

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

D.W.O.H

RE: Gary's Galactic Construction Yard

Post by D.W.O.H »

not at all I got everything your making going into my folders,lol
Democratic Worlds Of Humanity.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: D.W.O.H

The "birthday candles" remark sort of sucked all the wind out of my sails. But I'm glad this stuff won't go completely to waste. I was having a lot of fun yesterday making these things. I guess in the end that's all that really counts.
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress Does anyone care? I get the feeling I'm just making these for my own amusement.

Yes to first....& NO not for your own amusement...if you have had enough of that ship set...then maybe something new?
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

What about space stations ? 
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Didn't mean to  cast a spanner in the works with the candles remark.
-sorry.

the models and efforts here are really good.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Conflictx

Post by Conflictx »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: D.W.O.H

The "birthday candles" remark sort of sucked all the wind out of my sails. But I'm glad this stuff won't go completely to waste. I was having a lot of fun yesterday making these things. I guess in the end that's all that really counts.

Don't let comments from other people get you down, you're releasing some nice stuff here but if you release something you can expect comments, good or bad. Don't forget it's for your own enjoyment, but other people get to have fun with the things you liked making. ;)
Igard

Post by Igard »

It's great (and highly impressive) that your making all these yourself, Gary. Haven't used any yet, but I probably will soon.

On your Star Trek ships. Might I suggest moving the engine trails away from the warp nacelles? On federation ships the impulse engines are normally located at the rear of the saucer section.

Good job with the Start Trek stuff, but I hope to see you finish the Cosmos set at some point too.[;)]
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

I get the feeling I'm just making these for my own amusement.

Not at all, the star trek ones are a bit "too" star trek for my liking, but the newer ones.......
Fantastic!
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

I wonder what your star stations will be [:D]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Didn't mean to  cast a spanner in the works with the candles remark.
-sorry.

No big deal. I was tired last night when I posted the reply. I shouldn't have taken it to heart so easily. But if you had replied to my question of what I should have done differently I would have been happier. Since there was no follow up critique I sort of took the comment as an attack.

What makes them look like Birthday Candles? Is it the color on the tip of the engines? I can change that if it looks sort of odd. I was looking at some pics of Star Trek ships and noticed they usually have a bright lit colors where the engines are.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

These are brilliant, thanks Gary :)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Igard

It's great (and highly impressive) that your making all these yourself, Gary. Haven't used any yet, but I probably will soon.

On your Star Trek ships. Might I suggest moving the engine trails away from the warp nacelles? On federation ships the impulse engines are normally located at the rear of the saucer section.

Good job with the Start Trek stuff, but I hope to see you finish the Cosmos set at some point too.[;)]

I can move the engine trails toward the saucer. But it sort of makes more sense to me, from a design standpoint that the impulse engines should be relatively big compared to the rest of the ship to propell a ship faster through space. A little tiny engine on the back of the saucer seems like underkill.
D.W.O.H

Post by D.W.O.H »

Yea so far your ships comprise half my fleet while the other trek mod is the other half and together it makes my ships ( all of them look totally Star Trek.

Igard

Post by Igard »

A little tiny engine on the back of the saucer seems like underkill.

It's totally up to you. The only reason I say is that, in Star Trek, the warp nacelles are for faster than light travel only, and the impulse engines (tiny as they are) propel the ship at sub light speeds. Of course, in Star Trek there are no engine trails, but I have no idea how it would look without them.
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

Very nice work!  Don't take critics to heart unless they submit their own work and it is clearly superior to yours in your own eyes...and if then, learn from it.  Keep it up!
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
Widell

Post by Widell »

Gary - Great stuff, as always! Haven't installed your mods yet due to travelling, but will surely do so once I get back 127.0.0.1

Keep em' coming, and you know, the nice thing about mods is that: If you don't like it, don't use, alternatively change it to your liking. So.... don't get stuck on the remark about the candle lights...
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

Into Poser...

Mate no offence, great models, but using Poser for rendering is a bit like using a garbage bag for storing fresh salad [:'(]
Understandable if you dont own one of the big 3d modelling applications though.
If i still had my 3ds max installed i could whip up some awesome renders for you with those models. I may still have it laying around in my old apartment, if i can be bothered to look for it XD (havent done anything with it in years)
madpainter

Post by madpainter »

Are you still working on these, I'm getting the impression you've lost the motivation because nobody was expressed an interest for a while[:(].
I guess this is me expressing an interest.[;)]
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

Yes, I am still waiting!!!!!!![:D]
Huh?
D.W.O.H

Post by D.W.O.H »

thanks for more ships man, Also when you 1st got on this you started with those red highlighted ships & was wondering do you intend to finish that set or?

All i know man is ive enjoyed all your ships to this point, so let that be a motivator for you even tho im no one important =)

* where are the new files?, im just getting a jpeg dl when i try

Return to “Design and Modding”