Is There An Editor?

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

Naughteous Maximus

RE: Is There An Editor?

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

Thanks for the reply.[:)]
knilli

Post by knilli »

thank you for the inside screenshot and the description.

referring back to the main editor screenshot:
what can be changed in the cities? production is not access-able in WITE so what changes are then possible to the cities?

and did i understand it right? in theory we are able to change the configuration of the tanks? like introducing our own "pz III" with a 8.8 gun (just an example)? so there would, at least in theory, some flexibility?

another question: is there a limitation on the units we can create? according to the last screenshot, we just create a new unit. so, i could go on and create as many as i would like to have?
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

You can edit any city you want and adjust/add/subtract any production you want to include vehicles, aircraft, supplies, fuel, oil, armaments, railyard, port, etc.

You make any "device" ie weapon system, vehicle, etc. Its all editable.

In the Unit editor, you can create as many units as you have open slots and there aroun 8200 of them. You could make 500 SS Panzer Divisions if you wanted to and I could name them 102nd SS 'Marshall' Panzer Division. You can make your own leaders. I built the 1944 Campaign game out of this editor. You don't need any programming knowledge to make a scenario.

You could create a modern war scenario if you wanted to spend the time making your own vehicles, weapons systems, OB files, etc. You would be limited to the existing map.

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

So, theoretically, you could do NATO vs. WarPac WW3 scenarios?

Oh my ... <rubs hands together with gleeful anticipation> ... [:)]

That sounds ... super ... [&o]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Theoretically you could but it would take a hell of a lot of work. You would need to do some graphics editing to get the proper vehicle silhouettes and you would be limited to the WItE map.

Trey

WiTE Scenario Designer
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Theoretically you could but it would take a hell of a lot of work ...

Like, say, WitP:AE [:D]

I'm sure there are some cra ... er, hard working ... gamers out there who might consider taking on such a project ... in their copious free time, of course [:D]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
knilli

Post by knilli »

@el hefe: mate, thx for your reply! and i am honestly overwhelmed! [&o]
the editors capability is better/more then i had expected! in theory we have again (almost) full freedom!

one more reason to look forward!

jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: knilli

the editors capability is better/more then i had expected! in theory we have again (almost) full freedom!

If Picasso had included a paint set with his paintings would you have considered that full freedom also?
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

Thanks for the editor information. It makes this title a must buy.
WWI Ostfront, anyone? (Too bad Napoleon didnt have railroads.)
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

This is the OB EDITOR which allows you to edit TO&E templates. You can set start and end dates and which order the OB upgrades. You can edit the type of equipment in the OB and how many are authorized. This file is not saved in the scenario but in a different set of master files so I am unsure how they get saved. Jim would be able to answer that.

Trey

Attachments
OBEditor.jpg
OBEditor.jpg (378.55 KiB) Viewed 80 times

WiTE Scenario Designer
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

This is the DEVICE EDITOR which is a master file of all of the armaments that make up those individual units/squads. This information is probably saved in a master file and not the scenario file. This list includes every tank cannon, machine gun, aerial rocket, howitzer tube and even lists a pistol and sniper rifle. All of it is editable.

Trey

Attachments
DeviceEditor.jpg
DeviceEditor.jpg (321.19 KiB) Viewed 80 times

WiTE Scenario Designer
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

This is the GROUND ELEMENT editor in which you can edit/add/subtract all of the individual tanks, squads, airplanes, etc. All is editable again and goes into some kind of master file.

Attachments
GrounElement.jpg
GrounElement.jpg (313.19 KiB) Viewed 80 times

WiTE Scenario Designer
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

AIRCRAFT EDITOR.

Attachments
AircraftEditor.jpg
AircraftEditor.jpg (302.9 KiB) Viewed 80 times

WiTE Scenario Designer
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Air Group Editor.

Attachments
AirGroup.jpg
AirGroup.jpg (279.64 KiB) Viewed 80 times

WiTE Scenario Designer
knilli

Post by knilli »

for the screenshots.
you said earlier that there is space for up to 8200 units. how much space is in those aircraft/ground element/device and ob tables? would we need to change existing settings or could we just add new ones?
knilli

Post by knilli »

ORIGINAL: jaw

If Picasso had included a paint set with his paintings would you have considered that full freedom also?

[&:]
why should i want to have a paint set with a painting? either i like the artist (his style) or not. and this particular decision is mine, there for, i do have full freedom.
but i struggle to follow you a bit.
what has the work of an artist and a paint set to do with a game editor? the main aim for an editor is to edit stuff. the question is, how mighty an editor is. how much it is allowed to change. and it seems that this particular editor will be one of the mightier ones.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

All this goes without saying that anyone that modified the default master files will invalidate all the scenario's and campaigns that ship with the game which in turn would become unbalanced and any user modified scenario and campaigns would have to go through many months of testing to balance them out.

So if one were to create a World War One or World War Three modified game set, there are things that would be broken and your modified set would probably not make much sense. The primary one being countries like Finland, Hungary, Romania surrendering. I don't think you have the ability to make new countries like Austria-Hungary or NATO and things like that. Also for WWI there is no gas rules and for WWIII there is no nukes.

One thing to remember for the official game is that there are several very experienced researchers/historians working on the OOBs, TOEs and equipment list pulling the data from a large pool of resources so the historically accuracy will not only be there but all the scenarios and campaigns that ship with it will have been thoroughly tested for not only historical accuracy and combat modeling, but for play balancing and a host of other items as well.

Again all this goes without saying.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Keep in mind that the included editor is not intended to be an unlimited editor toolset designed to allow someone to build any conflict. While many things may be possible and much of it is editable, there are hardcoded facets that could prevent these custom files from playing out. Some examples are that the Axis minor surrendering rules are hard coded as are the Army HQs with their coloring and much of the AI scripting. I am sure there will be some resourceful folks out there that will try but this editor is not intended to be used outside of developing Eastern Front scenarios.

Trey

WiTE Scenario Designer
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

I should guess that axis minor ally surrender is based on how the Germans perform. If they are winning in 1944-5 or 1917, they do not surrender.

In any case, such experimentation would only be done using a seperate install or careful file swapping, which I hope are possible.

Where there's a will, there's a way, to paraprase a certain Bohemian corperal. :-)
jaw

Post by jaw »

why should i want to have a paint set with a painting? either i like the artist (his style) or not. and this particular decision is mine, there for, i do have full freedom.
but i struggle to follow you a bit.
what has the work of an artist and a paint set to do with a game editor? the main aim for an editor is to edit stuff. the question is, how mighty an editor is. how much it is allowed to change. and it seems that this particular editor will be one of the mightier ones.

Should you be able to edit the map, the movement rates, the time/space scale, the combat resolution system, the supply system? Do any of those factors possess greater "truth" than the frontal armor rating of a Panther tank or the accuracy rating of a 45mm anti-tank gun? Unless you publish the game as open source the editor is just a toy to allow people to muck with a limited set of values.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”