Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Altaris

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Altaris »

This is my second favorite AAR to read, and will definitely miss seeing the daily updates, but I too wish you and your family a speedy and healthy recovery. My mother-in-law recently was diagnosed with brain cancer with a poor prognosis, so I know first-hand how scary that is, and I can't even imagine how torn up I'd be if it was my wife instead. Our prayers are with you.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Seydlitz: We are with you and your wife 100%. You have your priorities in order and we can certainly handle the minor inconvenience of a hiatus. I hope she recovers soon.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Very best of luck with your family. and i hope your wife recovers soon.
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
sdevault

Post by sdevault »

Anyone hear how things are going for The Seydlitz's?
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I'd like to add my well wishes also Seyditz. Take care.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Dili

Post by Dili »

Best wishes.
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Thanks for the notes. My wife is finally doing better and life is returning to normal.

The game has continued, although for a while it was taking me a few days to do a turn. We are now in mid-April 1942 and still dancing around Vladivostok.
Swenslim

Post by Swenslim »

Great to hear such news ! Happy Orthodox Easter ! Let the God help you and your family !
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

The best news is that your wife is doing better!   Excellent!
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
aztez

Post by aztez »

That is excellent news! Welcome back! [:)]
rader

Post by rader »

Excellent, happy Easter and I'm happy to hear your wife is feeling better.

I'm extremely eager to hear more about how your game is going. In fact, your AAR inspired me to also attack the Soviets (May 1942). I've just started an AAR about it now (Taming the Bear).

CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

That is great on so many levels. Glad to hear your wife is getting better.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Thanks everybody.

On the game front, I just had a rough pair of turns. I sent a task force to land at Sovetska Gavin, a seemingly insignificant Russian port. Figuring that there would be some minor shore batteries, I sent Nagato, Mutsu, Takao, Chokai, 8 DDs and some PBs in the same TF as the transports.
I ran into a shore battery apocalypse. The shore guns, which were no larger than 130mm (7.5") sank Nagato, Takao, Chokai, and 6 DDs on the first turn. They also did 90 sys, flt, 90 fires to Mutsu. I did get all the troops landed during the turn and pulled out.
However, the troops only reduced the fort to 0 and the next turn turned 1:2 odds. A Soviet sub also torpedoed and sank Mutsu with one torpedo in the Sea of Japan before I could get her to port.

War is hell. My intell in no way predicted that the forts were there or that they could destroy Japan's two best battleships. Good thing Yamato is only a month away.
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Thanks everybody.

On the game front, I just had a rough pair of turns. I sent a task force to land at Sovetska Gavin, a seemingly insignificant Russian port. Figuring that there would be some minor shore batteries, I sent Nagato, Mutsu, Takao, Chokai, 8 DDs and some PBs in the same TF as the transports.
I ran into a shore battery apocalypse. The shore guns, which were no larger than 130mm (7.5") sank Nagato, Takao, Chokai, and 6 DDs on the first turn. They also did 90 sys, flt, 90 fires to Mutsu. I did get all the troops landed during the turn and pulled out.
However, the troops only reduced the fort to 0 and the next turn turned 1:2 odds. A Soviet sub also torpedoed and sank Mutsu with one torpedo in the Sea of Japan before I could get her to port.

War is hell. My intell in no way predicted that the forts were there or that they could destroy Japan's two best battleships. Good thing Yamato is only a month away.

Thats garbage those 130mm are 5" not 7.5" , guns those pre WWI guns cant do that. Those guns are inferior to those on your DDs.
Underdog Fanboy
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: bklooste

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Thanks everybody.

Thats garbage those 130mm are 5" not 7.5" , guns those pre WWI guns cant do that. Those guns are inferior to those on your DDs.

yeah, sounds very strange to me too. Don´t know what else is there at that fort and perhaps the 5" are only those that are listed to be the reason for the sinkings, as seen often when the real reason isn´t shown in the loss list.
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

There should be 2 Naval forts present at the base, both have 4x 182mm guns as their largest tubes.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

There should be 2 Naval forts present at the base, both have 4x 182mm guns as their largest tubes.

That'll leave a mark...
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

In a battleship designed to be proof against 14" guns those guns will not do much if any float or engine. Those are also pre WWi eara guns with a 300 or so barrel live and a penetration of about 1.5" at 10K yards.
They would hurt the cruisers a bit ( esp if they got real close) but you would expect the huge amount of guns  (10*16" , 10*14" 20*8" + ~10* 6") present to surpress the 4 bigger guns.
Underdog Fanboy
Monter_Trismegistos

Post by Monter_Trismegistos »

How many times your BBs were hit?
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
rader

Post by rader »

I had the same thing happen at Magadan (Check out "Taming the Bear" AAR). CD guns have been beefed up a lot, probably to the point of silliness. 5" guns are going to regularly sink BBs because they get hundreds of shots, and all it takes is 100 sys damage to sink a ship. Especially the intrinsic CD guns are crazy - like the Soviet ones.

Return to “After Action Reports”