One big one!

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
Toby42

One big one!

Post by Toby42 »

So is this one Big Scenario, or is it broken up into smaller manageable ones? The original AtD was too large and un-wieldly for me.. If this contains smaller scenario's and the larger campaign one. it might be do-able for me......Something like the Normandy game?
Tony
Fred98

RE: One big one!

Post by Fred98 »

It is one scenario but it is only 20 turns - compared to the original with a unwieldy 49 turns.

-

jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

If you want smaller scenarios you should check out some of the user-made scenarios like Operation Husky, Kirovograd, and Operation Konrad. Those are all smaller.

ATD and Kharkov 42 scenarios are both larger scenarios although maybe not as unwieldy as you think once you get used to them and understand the battle a little better. Reading about the battles on Wiki might also make the larger scenarios easier to get into and less overwhelming - it's what I do. :)
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: Treale

So is this one Big Scenario, or is it broken up into smaller manageable ones? The original AtD was too large and un-wieldly for me.. If this contains smaller scenario's and the larger campaign one. it might be do-able for me......Something like the Normandy game?

One, often overlooked, but massive benefit of the Areas of Operations system is that it breaks the battle down into manageable chunks for the human player as well as the AI. So for the Germans, the Dnepr splits the battlefield more or less in two.
(There are a few hexes overlap, but essentially at the start of the battle there are two smaller battles to fight instead of one huge one). The Russians have more restrictions than the Germans, and so for them the AOs provide even more information about what is allowed and hence expected.

To my mind, this is a huge improvement over the situation, (which we used to inflict on people), of opening up a huge scenario where, theoretically at least, any unit could go anywhere on the map.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”