Rule in absence doesn't rule in absence??

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

barniewhittle

Rule in absence doesn't rule in absence??

Post by barniewhittle »

Anyone know whether the 'rule in absence' automation setting (ie all fully automated) is supposed to allow the game to run fully unattended?

I would like to do that - let it run in the background and then dip in and out as the empire grows - but even with all pop ups deselected I still get at least Pirate and Ruin dialogues that require human intervention, thereby preventing background running.

Wicky

RE: Rule in absence doesn't rule in absence??

Post by Wicky »

Hehe yeah I know what you mean, who would ever decide to not investigate ruins?
For me, you can discard that question and just message a report of the outcome.
forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 »

If a ruin is at a planet you'd like to colonize would you risk pirates or kraltors coming out as your colony ship arrives?
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Rule in absence should be that though. The popup choices should all be chosen as "yes" by the AI manager I suppose.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It means everything is automated that can be, but it still requires some decisions from you. Having the AI make those decisions for you to make it completely "unattended" is something we can add in the future.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It means everything is automated that can be, but it still requires some decisions from you. Having the AI make those decisions for you to make it completely "unattended" is something we can add in the future.

But that begs the question...why?

Why play if all you are is a spectator?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

It might be fun to some. They might want to play as a background leader that might make certain major desicions.

People enjoy movies and other entertainment where we only watch.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Yeah I can see add in the feature, to select yes, no when investigating ruins so you can start up DW and come back 8 hours and just to see what happens. I guess it would be for a laugh. I don't think I would be doing it more than once, so I don't know if it's really an option to have or not. But if enough people want it, and it's not hard to implement, go ahead, I say. As long as someone has fun with it, why not.
barniewhittle

Post by barniewhittle »

Why? Don't have huge amounts of time to play this. I love the Alt Tab capability to pop in and out while doing other things and would like to be able to leave the game 'fully automated' while doing some of the 'other things' so it can develop a bit on it's own while I'm away.
barniewhittle

Post by barniewhittle »

Why? Don't have huge amounts of time to play this. I love the Alt Tab capability to pop in and out while doing other things and would like to be able to leave the game 'fully automated' while doing some of the 'other things' so it can develop a bit on it's own while I'm away.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

You don't even need to alt-tab, you can play in windowed mode I believe.
Conflictx

Post by Conflictx »

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

If a ruin is at a planet you'd like to colonize would you risk pirates or kraltors coming out as your colony ship arrives?

No, but i keep clicking the investigate button anyway, I dont really remember the planet names I send my colony ships to, lost several Colony Ships this way though. [;)]
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

i would like to see an option to truly turn over your empire to AI control. where its considered just another AI empire...

Some things could help though... i wish there was a "always investigate ruins/ships" option, I hate having to click things unencessary... and i hate accidently clicking "don't investigate" even more.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I also think 'rule in absence' should mean that the computer makes all the decisions.

One of the alternate ways to play is to set the AI to rule, and then play a starship captain. Well if you're just playing as a bounty hunter (for instance) you shouldn't be getting asked whether some ship half way across the known galaxy investigates a ruin.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”