New shipset help needed

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

feygan

New shipset help needed

Post by feygan »

Just started a new shipset for humans, however i'm having some issues.

1.I cant seem to get transparency to work correctly, the black box areas around the ship image attached block out whatever they pass.

2.The guide says all images should be exactly square, i'm presuming this only means the transparent background box?

Can anyone offer some tips on these issues please?

Edit:Forgot to mention i'm using gimp for this work so anyone used to the program could also help.
Attachments
frigate.jpg
frigate.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 110 times
richieelias

RE: New shipset help needed

Post by richieelias »

The existing ship graphics which use the black=transparent method are all bitmaps, so first make sure you are saving as a bitmap.

However, the best method for transparency is to save as a .png format and have the transparent areas be transparent (you can only do this with .tiff or .png as far as I know).
Cheet4h

RE: New shipset help needed

Post by Cheet4h »

Since you use gimp, it should be easy:
1. select the layer of the picture and rightclick on it. select "Add alphachannel"
2. use the wand-mode and select all black which is intended to be transparent. Then delete it.
3. Save as .png

Tada! you are done..

I'm sorry if some of the terms are not as i write them. I use the german version and therefore got other terms.

Return to “Design and Modding”