Question about oil allied side

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Misconduct

Question about oil allied side

Post by Misconduct »

I put together 6 tankers of oil for Australia, have them in las angeles where oil storage says 25,000, however after 3 turns none of my tankers seem to be loading at all, I did a run a month ago where 4 were filled half way then it stopped for a few turns. Am I getting oil from the right place or is something wrong?
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
anarchyintheuk

RE: Question about oil allied side

Post by anarchyintheuk »

There may be an issue if the tanker capacity + refinery capacity is > current oil. Is there really that much refinery capacity in Australia? Guess I'll look when I get home.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I've seen the same thing. For some reason, you can not load oil in LA that would leave it with less than 25,000.

Furthermore, as far as I can find, LA produces 20,000 oil per day and that is the only oil production in North America.

And - according to Tracker LA uses 25,000 oil per day.

Despite these contradictions, I never see production in North America failing. I do see it fail for lack of oil in Australia and Pearl Harbor. (BTW, PH also wants for resources that must be shipped in, and Australia needs to have fuel supplied too.)

I don't know the answer.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I've seen the same thing. For some reason, you can not load oil in LA that would leave it with less than 25,000.

Furthermore, as far as I can find, LA produces 20,000 oil per day and that is the only oil production in North America.

And - according to Tracker LA uses 25,000 oil per day.

Despite these contradictions, I never see production in North America failing. I do see it fail for lack of oil in Australia and Pearl Harbor. (BTW, PH also wants for resources that must be shipped in, and Australia needs to have fuel supplied too.)

I don't know the answer.

In WITP I remembered you needed to ship a few tankers once a month to Australia/Sydney with oil, and after Java fell I ran out of free oil to steal. Wasn't sure if I needed to supply Sydney with oil or fuel.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If I remember right, Australia has no exess refinerys. You just need to ship fuel for the HI and lots of it if you want to have some for your ships.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

witpqs has it right in that LA only produces what it uses every day & needs to maintain that 25k lvl so you'd only be able to load the overage from 25k. For the Allies there's not much extra oil from anywhere other than DEI & only a trickle from offmap bases so once the DEI are lost not much oil to be found but plenty of fuel comes in from West Coast & offmap areas to feed the industry in Oz
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

witpqs has it right in that LA only produces what it uses every day & needs to maintain that 25k lvl so you'd only be able to load the overage from 25k. For the Allies there's not much extra oil from anywhere other than DEI & only a trickle from offmap bases so once the DEI are lost not much oil to be found but plenty of fuel comes in from West Coast & offmap areas to feed the industry in Oz

Yeah I just remembered someone saying long ago in WITP OZ needed oil in sydney once a month for 6-8 tankers, glad I don't need to deal with that cause im already short on tankers enough right now.

Curious though is there any reason I need to ship Resources around or no?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The only resources I move as Allies is the ones on Hilo to PH. An xAKL or two is enough.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

The only resources I move as Allies is the ones on Hilo to PH. An xAKL or two is enough.

Thanks nomad, cheers!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It's coffee after all. War juice.
The Moose
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Yep, and since PH is a Naval base, the Coffee must flow.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

And, since it's KONA coffee, even the IJN would stand aside and grant it diplomatic immunity to pass.
The Moose
zace

Post by zace »

And, since it's KONA coffee, even the IJN would stand aside and grant it diplomatic immunity to pass.

Why do you think the IJN even built raiders? What do you think they were so obsessed with capturing?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: zace

Why do you think the IJN even built raiders? What do you think they were so obsessed with capturing?

And here I thought it was the poi.
The Moose
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Scenario 1 has a nice equilibrium for the Allies regarding oil production and consumption.

1. India has equilibrium between local oil production and consumption, having 2 oil fields and 2 refineries with equal capacity.
2. Canada has equilibrium between local oil production and consumption, having 2 oil fields and 2 refineries with equal capacity.
3. USA has equilibrium between local oil production and consumption, having 2 oil fields and 1 refinery with equal aggregate capacity. NB, the oil refinery at Los Angeles covers its shortfall by importing oil from Bakersfield.
4. Australia has an oil deficit. Sydney has an oil field (it simulates the shale oil production from near Sydney) but it produces insufficient oil to keep the Sydney refinery in full production. There is no surplus oil left to feed the Melbourne refinery. However the two Australian refineries can be kept in full production by importing oil from Abadan.
5. Abadan has a daily auto production of oil which neatly covers the oil deficit in Australia.
6. In the DEI, Sumatra and Java has excess oil production beyond what is locally needed to feed their refineries. As this area is usually a focus for Japan, this surplus is usually not really available for transportation to Australia. However, Boela and Babo have no local refinery to process their local oil production and are often captured by Japan after the big DEI oilfields. Thus these two oilfields could potentially provide oil to feed the Sydney and Melbourne refineries.

Alfred
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

What's the point of shipping oil to Australia just to keep two small refineries operating?  Just send fuel; that way you don't have to go through the conversion process and it can be used immediately by industry and shipping.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

Thanks john that's whats been bothering me lately, I couldn't remember if I needed to ship oil or fuel to Australia, or if it mattered really. 
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Well the only gain in keeping the refineries active is recieving a few additional supplies I think
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

There is no reason to ship OIL to Australia from the USA. Just send FUEL. The only instance I can think of to ship OIL at all to Australia would be from the DEI, and that's only because there is excess there, and it's a shorter trip. Even then, I wouldn't sweat it.

As Allies, you don't really need to EVER haul Resources or OIL. There isn't a need. Just focus on Supplies and Fuel.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

As Allies, you don't really need to EVER haul Resources or OIL. There isn't a need. Just focus on Supplies and Fuel.

Keep saying this, over and over. It seems lots of folks still don't believe you.

To quote Madeline Kahn: "It's twu!1 It's twu!!!" [:)]
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”