Purchase Costs Cracked

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

BigWolfChris

Purchase Costs Cracked

Post by BigWolfChris »

Being a little bored... I decided to look a little further into the Purchase Price involved in the game

I've now discovered the price for each component works out at

(RC * RQ) x 8 for each Resource for a component

RC = Resource Cost
RQ = Resource Quantity

Example 1... Standard Armour
Requires 8*Steel
Steel is at a price of 0.5 per unit
8 units of steel cost 4 units
When timed by 8, you get the final cost of 32 credits

Example 2... Basic Colonization Module
Requires, 300*Hydrogen, 120*Steel, 100*Polymer
All at prices of 0.5 per unit
Giving final cost of
Hydrogen = 1200 Credits
Steel - 480 Credits
Polymer = 400 Credits
Combined Purchase Price... 2080 Credits for the component

I have tested this on around 10 different components and appears consistent, but it could still break apart on something down the line

Now, to work out the exact numbers surrounding maintenance costs

Once I've cracked that, if anyone is interested I might look at putting together some-form of advance calculator
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Wicky

RE: Purchase Costs Cracked

Post by Wicky »

Good luck in calculating the maintenance costs! I have noticed, that constructor ships sometimes cost 2000 credits to purchase and 2900 credits to maintain per month. Other ships cost 2000 and only require 500 maintenance. Probably depends on the type of components, weapon plants may just have higher maintenance multiplyer.
YourConscience

Post by YourConscience »

Perhaps it such that certain resources have a higher wear-off rate than others? Like, hydrogen gets used up fairly quickly, while steel remains stable for a long time (since you don't actually use it up).
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

I haven't had a chance to look at maintenance (Being Self-Employed is sometimes more hassle than I like lol)
But I will be going through as many components and looking at the different levels of maintenance, as from a quick look, it doesn't appear to be as simple as purchase costs, which suggests some hidden numbers in place
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

I was calculating it too.

Then eventually found something very odd: Construction Ship cost 17xx, Maintenance 43xx !

Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

As I can't multiple 4x4 accurately, could you tell me the difference in cost between repairing a component and building it from scratch?

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Very interesting BigWolf.  I wonder if prices vary by empire.  So if Empire A had a glut of hydrogen (for example) and Empire B didn't, would the same ship cost different amounts?
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Costs of resources are global, so in your example, the effect of Empire B having not enough Hydrogen will increase prices of hydrogen for everybody

So the costs will be the same regardless
As for if races have different price modifiers, this I'll have too look into once I have time, but I've put the formulae up for anyone to try, so if you come across something that doesn't fit too it, let us know
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

As I can't multiple 4x4 accurately

Not sure what you mean here

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

could you tell me the difference in cost between repairing a component and building it from scratch?

Not personally had a chance to look at this, but would probably be harder to figure it out since the costs for repairs aren't shown (AFAIK)
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

ORIGINAL: Interesting

I was calculating it too.

Then eventually found something very odd: Construction Ship cost 17xx, Maintenance 43xx !

I think this is a bug, I'm seeing maintenance costs on "ship design" being higher than on the "list of designs"
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Joram

Post by Joram »

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

Costs of resources are global, so in your example, the effect of Empire B having not enough Hydrogen will increase prices of hydrogen for everybody

So the costs will be the same regardless
As for if races have different price modifiers, this I'll have too look into once I have time, but I've put the formulae up for anyone to try, so if you come across something that doesn't fit too it, let us know

I thought so but that's a shame, it doesn't really allow you to wage economic war as effectively as one might wish. It's just an all or nothing war now forcing you to monopolize a resource.

Agree the maintenance looks a bit strange but hard to say what's going on without knowing the math.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”