How to make a Construction Ship that builds stuff at record times?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Interesting

Post by Interesting »

Share you design ideas.
PDiFolco

RE: How to make a Construction Ship that builds stuff at record times?

Post by PDiFolco »

To me problem is more on the lost time travelling, so I start adding more engines. And fuel too. Building itself seems pretty fast. But then to optimize more you should take care of cargo required for your future builds and queue them, but that's too much mm for me.
PDF
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

Anyone learned anything about this in the past hours?
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

put more and higher level "manufactories" on it, they are the ones that build components. balance those out to match the ratio of the components you actually have (AI already does that... some components you need lots of, some little). give it faster engines and reactor and enough storage (when you give it a build command, it will fly to a nearby planet and collect the ingredients it needs, then it will fly to the location and build the components, as it builds them, its construction yard component will assemble them together into a ship). oh.. and obviously more / better construction component (that assembles the components together into a ship)
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

Yes, thats the idea, but care to share your Construction ship designs with a screenshot?

taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I just use the automatic design. it works well enough for me.
I explained how you would go about optimizing it, but i don't actually perform such optimizations myself...

speaking of, if you stack it up like that you would have a construction ship capable of building faster, but it will cost more... and i think more normal construction ships are better then a few uber ones.
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

This topic is to discuss "How to make a Construction ship that builds stuff at record times".

No default designs allowed.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

i am saying i am not going to go the whole way in the contest... i myself am content not to participate. It took me a minute to write up how you would do it. actually making designs, building them, taking screenshots, uploading, etc... all too much work. And in normal gameplay its not something i am interested in doing (so in normal gameplay i let it autodesign)

So I am basically throwing the towel on the contest... just giving my 2 cents on how one could go about winning it.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I think this thread bears revisiting... i have noticed some serious slowdowns on some construction and have come to the conclusion that any constructor can build at a fairly fast rate... the major issue is whether they have enough resources with them. The biggest issue by far is resource access...

even if there are enough resources on a planet, the constructor has limited storage space, if you are building something huge that requires more materials storage space then the constructor will stall and wait there while private ships EVENTUALLY will bring it extra materials, in small doses...

So the biggest thing is, look at the cargo capacity of your constructor of choice, and ensure that it is more then the total amount of raw materials needed to build said ship.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”