Across the Dnepr: Second Edition Now Available!

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
SeanD

Across the Dnepr: Second Edition Now Available!

Post by SeanD »

The hefty expansion to the highly touted Kharkov engine is now rolling across the steppes

Matrix Games and Strategic Studies Group (www.ssg.com.au) are thrilled to release Across the Dnepr: Second Edition! Now gamers can enjoy an improved and infinitely replayable version of the classic Across the Dnepr scenario on the acclaimed Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets game engine. To mark the release, the conclusion to an in-depth AAR for Across the Dnepr: Second Edition has been released. Be sure to check out the first part as well!

Across the Dnepr: Second Edition is an expansion and requires Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets in order to play. A 1.20 update for Kharkov is being released concurrently which includes the same engine improvements and the three free secondary scenarios available in Across the Dnepr: Second Edition.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “SSG is really showing their commitment to the continued success of the Kharkov engine. Apart from the premier Across the Dnepr mega-scenario, which is one of the best operational challenges in wargaming, the 3 additional scenarios included to showcase the engine are also engaging, epic in scale, and a ton of fun!”

Can the Blitzkrieg be stopped?

July 1941: Four mighty German armies have smashed through the Soviet frontier defences, and are aimed directly at Moscow. Before Moscow can fall, Smolensk must be taken. The Red Army, recovering from the initial onslaught and reinforced by Stalin has been ordered to counterattack the unsuspecting Germans. This massive collision of forces produces a maelstrom of men and machines. For the Germans, delay at Smolensk equals defeat at Moscow. For the Red Army, no price is too high to pay.

Across the Dnepr: Second Edition revisits a classic on a new system. Created from the ground up as an expansion for SSG’s latest acclaimed game engine, Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets, the Second Edition of Across the Dnepr includes Areas of Operations, the latest AI programming and multiple Mystery Variants to keep gamers guessing. The Across the Dnepr: Second Edition package also includes three free scenarios, Operation Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd, also released with the latest update to Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets. Running on a proven wargaming engine hailed as “a real strategy heavyweight” by critics, these new and recharged scenarios illustrate just what can be done with the powerful editing tools included in SSG’s new series.
  • Huge new 20 day campaign based on the classic Across the Dnepr campaign from a previous award winning SSG title
  • Includes 3 free scenarios in addition to the Across the Dnepr mega-scenario: Operation
  • Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd
  • Improved AI
  • Multiple scenario variants to keep gamers guessing - choose to fight a scenario historically or choose to randomize the variants to keep things unpredictable!
  • User Interface refinements to further improve on the time-tested and acclaimed SSG game system
  • A new (and brutal) unit is now available, Russian NKVD, which can be used to prevent other units from retreating!
  • Across the Dnepr: Second Edition is an expansion and requires Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets in order to play.
Get more information on Across the Dnepr: Second Edition from its official product page.
Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
ird

RE: Across the Dnepr: Second Edition Now Available!

Post by ird »

Now I'm not one to moan and I do love Kharkhov BUT ..... I've just looked at buying the expansion and £28 for an add on is just ridiculous when it's only one extra scenario. I am very disappointed at the price. Maybe it's due to the poor exchange rate in the UK but Matrix is starting to price themselves out of the market in Britain IMO.
Andrew Loveridge

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

It is no just an add on.  It is a huge scenario, with a ton of variables that add a lot of replay-ability.  We could have sold it as a separate game, but this highlights the strength of the engine and the editor, and creates flexibility for more possible scenarios.  And is well worth the price.
ird

Post by ird »

Hmmmmmm not a great argument. You could have sold it as a new game??????? For £28 I can get a new game anywhere else but on the Matrix site. New Paradox release Arsenal Democracy is only half that price. I'm sorry, I'm not arguing about the quality of the game. I've spent a lot of time playing this series of games, I'm just saying that the pricing structure of Matrix games is starting to get excessive. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I own about 10 Matrix games so I do support them but the prices being charged are now making me reluctant to purchase their games
parusski

Post by parusski »

Never mind my anti-Matrix ATD 2nd edition is to expensive rant.

No, the price is not too high.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
ird

Post by ird »

In YOUR opinion it isn't. In mine it is. Typical of so many of the people on here not to respect the views of others. My view is that Matrix games are now over priced. You disagree. That's fine - neither of us will change the opinion of the other so live and let live
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Dont worry ird "dirty" islander here a "dirty" continental [:D] think the same, 30 euros for an add-on is excesive (change to euros is psss but to pounds is WOOOAAAA) and if you dont have Kharkov is [:-]

For me, AtD2 is an add-on (needs Kharkov isnt and stand alone scen) and dont have add-on price (Kharkov with holiday sale was cheaper for me than this add-on LOL), even sold as independent game price is excesive for a single scen and with a scen creators comunity near to extinction.

PD: i think that for price is a combination of SSG and matrix business way of life [:D]

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”