Istanbul

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

catch22

Istanbul

Post by catch22 »

How do you get Istanbul go Axis?
SGT Rice

RE: Istanbul

Post by SGT Rice »

It's not easy. First you need for Turkey to move from Balanced to Leaning Axis ... this could happen either through an Axis-initiated trade agreement or an Allied DOW on a minor country. Then the Axis would have to capture regions adjacent to Turkey and hope that the 9% chance of a political shift happens TWICE ... once to move Turkey from Leaning Axis to Pro-Axis, then a second time to move them from Pro-Axis all the way into the Axis camp.

Check out rules section 10.4 - Neutrals, p.94 of the manual.
GG A World Divided Playtester
catch22

RE: Istanbul

Post by catch22 »

I have read that section. I just read it again too.

I noticed Istanbul, is not, on the Political Status Screen. So Turkey and Istanbul are one country? It looks like they are two separate countries, on the game map. I've had them both leaning Axis. Turkey, is always no higher than 2.

I was thinking, maybe, Turkey would have to be leaning Allied then you would take Turkey to get a leaning Axis Istanbul, to go Axis.

Reason I thought this is because when Yugoslavia goes pro allied, and you capture it, Hungry becomes Axis. And when Greece joins allies and you capture it, Bulgaria becomes Axis. But I guess Turkey, if leaning axis has a chance to become Axis, too, if Allied Greece is captured, etc..

Trade Question/Theory:
where success occurs if a random number from 0 to 9 is less than the Nationality’s Volatility Rating. For experiment I saved the game and attempted a trade over and over and it was always refused. Telling me there was no chance at all no matter the neutral balance state level. Anyways I let the failed attempt stand and turn after turn the trade would fail. The balance of those neutral states' level never changing. Then finally I get a trade signed say 3 or 4 turns later. Are the attempts accumulative to the point where if you attempt each turn it betters your chances at an agreement signed with that country?

Ah... well, I just (now) found it rather easy to get a trade agreement signed with Turkey, after Bulgaria joins Germany.

Just took Syria and now Turkey is Pro-Axis 2.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”