Special Regional Levy

Post bug reports and ask for technical assistance here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

evwalt

Special Regional Levy

Post by evwalt »

First, only one region (ie. Poland, Kingdom of Italy, Kingdom of Naples, Serbia, etc.) has a special regional levy as far as I can determine, the Kingdom of Naples.

However, in 1 PBEM game I am playing in, I placed Naples (I own all of the country) into protectorate status. The first year, the Kingdom levied 4 units properly as far as I can tell. The next year, the Kingdom levied 4 units again HOWEVER this time the levy counted against the mobilization limits.

Specifically, I am playing France and my mobilization level went from 75/93 pre-levy to 79/93 post-levy. No other units were constructed or ordered during this month.

NOTE: during the FIRST levy, there was NO change in the mobilization level.
Russia in "Going Again II"
France in "Quest for Glory"
Prussia in "Invitational"
evwalt

RE: Special Regional Levy

Post by evwalt »

Did a little more investigation.  First, some more background.

For the Kingdom of Naples, I (France) controlled all four provinces needed to make the Kingdom of Naples (Sicily, Naples, Calabria and Abruzzi).  When I made the Kingdom of Naples a protectorate, all 4 of the provinces ON THE MAP changed to protectorate provinces (ie. they have the dotted lines).  HOWEVER, in the Development screen, for some reason, Calabria and Sicily are still treated as French controlled provinces (ie. I can build building there & I assume still draw resources from there).

When the Kingdom levied units, all four levies were built in either Calabria or Sicily.  Thus, I suspect the problem comes from the fact the those 2 provinces still register as French controlled.  When the units were levied, the computer saw 4 "new" French builds and increased the mob limit by 4.  I suspect that as these units are completed as Naples units and enter the map, the mob level will drop back down.

Thus the problem appears to be that these two provinces are treated as French controlled on the development screen.

EDIT: Having played some more game turns, Naples has completed 2 infantry. Both were produced as NAPLES infantry, resulting in the mob level dropping by 2. Thus, the problem IS with the fact that 2 protectorate provinces still show in the development screen as French-conquered instead of the protectorate controlled they show on the map.
adamc6

Post by adamc6 »

Good work evwalt.

I've been trying to get those special levies and failing utterly. Italy is a total waste of time without levies.

Hello designers! Are you going to fix this and the feudal levy issues? Please -- it cannot be that hard.

Is there a patch any time in our future?
If hindsight is 20/20, what is foresight?
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

It's not just Italy, Poland also is out of sync, changing from protectorate to control by Sweden around for no apparent reason and sometimes just bits of it, I didn't get any levies though, the issue with the Polish armybecoming fully Swedish then just disapearing has also been raised before.

All the Best
Peter
evwalt

Post by evwalt »

Probably a bit too late now (assuming they are working on the patch) but I would think that allowing minors (in protectorate status or not) to ONLY build new units (divisions and containers) and NOT levy is better than allowing minors to levy. This means, of course, fixing the ability of minors to actually use their resources (like food to create new Men).

I think levying should be reserved for special Regional areas and the major powers. THat would stop the problem of lots of minors running around but still allow the larger minor powers a decent army.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I believe that a limited number of militia units do not count against mobilization limits, but that militia beyond that level do count, which probably explains the discrepancy in mobilization effect between the two levies.  We are looking into an issue involving ownership of protectorates; it is, however, not simple to address.
evwalt

Post by evwalt »

No. I am 99% sure this is NOT the case (ie. militia has something 2 two with it). I think since the computer sees that France controls 2 Naples provinces (even though they should be protectorate controlled) and the computer sees 2 units being built (ie. levied) there, it counts them against the mob limit. HOWEVER, when the units are completed, they enter the game as Naples units. When the computer counts units ON THE MAP, it doesn't see those 2 units as French (which makes since because they are Naples units) and the mob level drops back down.

I'll check again when the levy phase rolls around on my game to double check this is the case.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

There's only one routine that computes mobility levels, so it's not very likely that the problem involves mobility being calculated in two different ways.
lucr41

Post by lucr41 »

I have also come across issues with Regional Bonus Units.

The resolution can be found in this thread:
How to fix missing regional bonus units

You will also need to lookup this thread, for a procedure on how to remove a province from a minor:
Creating the protectorate of Bavaria without Berg/Kleves/Palatinate

Return to “Tech Support”