New galaxy backdrops! (plural this time)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Baleur

New galaxy backdrops! (plural this time)

Post by Baleur »

Updated download link!

Extract into "Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops".
Backup the original file and then rename whichever background you want to use to "galaxy_backdrop.jpg" [:)]

It is basically just a nasa photo of the RCW 49 nebula, copied and flipped to make it somewhat symmetrical, enjoy!

Update 1, added another one based on Eta Carinae below the first one, hope u like it.
Update 2, be saved them as highest quality jpg's, much smoother at all zoom levels now. (longer download, but worth it ingame)
Update 3, added more, including one at 5000x5000 of the Orion nebula <3
My game crashed upon loading anything higher than 5000x5000, and it still kinda looks blurry as you zoom in. I guess this is as sharp as it gets. [:)]
Update 4, changed / added new version of Eta Carinae, darker, better contrast and color balance for that ingame "space and i can see where my stuff is" feeling. (at the very bottom of this post)

https://rapidshare.com/files/1409281103/Baleur_Galaxy_Backdrops.zip

------------
Update 4, new Eta Carinae version, save the below image as galaxy_backdrop.jpg into your Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops folder.
------------

Baleur

RE: New galaxy backdrops! (plural this time)

Post by Baleur »

I have 5 others too, including a super-res orion backdrop, but it seems noones interested so ill hold :)
Deto

Post by Deto »

Oh post them up! I dig it :)

If possible though, and if you can get from somewhere, I'd put 3,5k x 3,5k size backdrops. The original size of 2k is a bit too blurry in my opinion :)
pndrev

Post by pndrev »

Beautiful!
Now if we could ADD them instead of replacing... and then have the game randomly choose one on galaxy creation.
Coupon

Post by Coupon »

Very nice. Downloading now.
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

The top right image, the Witch Head nebula, has alot of tiny stars that i kinda had to blur a bit to make gameplay even possible.
If anyone has any idea of a good way to only remove the stars rather than doing it by hand one by one, let me know =) (like a filter or something)
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Don't mean to be cheeky, but any chance of getting some ingame screenshots of these backgrounds?
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Midas

Post by Midas »

Hi

Thanks for the backgrounds tried most of them. Currently using bottom left 2500x2500 it's much better in use than you might think, fewer background stars, some black areas and nebula clouds show really well against it.

Thankyou.
FerretStyle

Post by FerretStyle »

This might be blasphemy but I took the original backdrop and made it all pure black. It actually looks pretty nice in-game... nevermind that it shrunk the size of the file to almost nothing.
mightili

Post by mightili »

Baleur, please make more. In-Game original backdrops-nebulae ar so ugly... [:(]
Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn »

They're beautiful but very difficult to play with. The stars are difficult to spot with these backgrounds.
Sliverine

Post by Sliverine »

There are a couple of functions in photoshop that allow u to do RGB tweaking....theres that 'levels' thing that you can do for the image layer and theres also the exposure that you can modify, just to state a few...those are some powerful tools with the downside being that they tend to be rather finicky to use sometimes....
If my lawn were emo, it would mow itself
Igard

Post by Igard »

Awesome images, however, hate to be a stickler, but these are images of nebulae found here in our own Milky Way galaxy. The galactic background should probably be that of a galaxy.

If you prefer to see a nebula, then that's fine (they are awe inspiring), but for realisms sake it needs to be an image of a galaxy.

Igard

Post by Igard »

Here's a 2000x2000 image of ngc 1309. I de-saturated a little bit and adjusted brightness/contrast.

Playing with it, still has some stars that look click-able but aren't.[:(]

EDIT: oops.. image is a bit large so shouldn't really embed this.[8|][:D]
Attachments
ngc1309.jpg
ngc1309.jpg (624.6 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Awesome images, however, hate to be a stickler, but these are images of nebulae found here in our own Milky Way galaxy. The galactic background should probably be that of a galaxy.

If you prefer to see a nebula, then that's fine (they are awe inspiring), but for realisms sake it needs to be an image of a galaxy.

Indeed, as Teal'C would say. But with space cats and green egypt-space-women species roaming the game, one can imagine that a nebula the size of a galaxy is not as big of a realism or immersion breaker as those other things [:)] Especially if we wanna be really realism-anal, the average of 1000 stars ingame is less than what many of these pictures contain "in real life". So in that sense its still kinda realistic.

I'd make more but at the moment im not playing it very much, kind of tired of the choppy preformance when zooming (yes still complaining about that lol).
Its just more satisfying to mod for other games where you can see your results in smooth glorious splendor rather than in a perpetually choppy wait-while-it-zooms-or-pans environment.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Excellent point. Perhaps the game takes place in a nebula.

I also have slightly choppy zooming. I'd say It takes about 2 secs to zoom all the way in. Which is a pretty long time when you're in a bit of a rush.

If I make anymore, I'll come back and post them.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Have you guys tried adjusting your zoom speed in the options and tried the other performance options? Check the Tech Support sub-forum FAQ for performance tips.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Erik, I've tried everything. High frame rates or low frame rates don't make too much difference. Always keep my hardware drivers up to date. Only thing that had an effect was setting zoom to mininum. Any higher and I'm looking at about 3 sec delay. (that's 3 seconds to zoom from all the way out)

TBH it doesn't affect my enjoyablity of the game that much. I'm getting a new PC in the coming months, so I'm not worried.
Baleur

Post by Baleur »

Erik yes, but thats not the problem. Im sure you understand what we mean, if youve been playing games yourself for most of your life.
The issue most of us are talking about is the fact that it stutters as you zoom in and out, probably due to how the game / graphics engine is built.
What we want is a completely pixel-smooth zoom, such as in AI War, any RTS game of choice, CIV4, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gratitous Space Battles, Defcon, Harvest, i dont know what other examples to bring up :P
Something that follows your mouse-wheel to the pixel, not stuttering as it loads or passes through a grid/plane whatever :)

To be honest, Distant Worlds is the first game ive ever played that is stuttering while zooming like that, regardless of your framerate. Well, since old junk like Space Empires V. No wait that had smooth soom too, just horrible preformance overall lol.

I always see posts about adjusting the zoom speed, but thats not the issue at all.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I combined the 5000x5000 picture with a few other GFX mods and I started having out of memory crashes on a 100 star galaxy... removed mods and those crashes stopped.
tm.asp?m=2473342

so, combining such mods is not a good idea right now... maybe when a 64bit exe is made (allowing you to use more than 2GB of ram per exe)
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

Return to “Design and Modding”