Is it worth to pay PP to avoid air withdrawals?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

hkbhsi

Is it worth to pay PP to avoid air withdrawals?

Post by hkbhsi »

I'm playing Japan in my first PBEM and I'm reaching the point when you have to start withdraw air units. My question to the more experienced JFB is if it is a good idea to pay PP to keep some units that I feel are very useful like some big Naval Bomber squadroons in unrestricted HQs.

Thanks a lot.
witpqs

RE: Is it worth to pay PP to avoid air withdrawals?

Post by witpqs »

I think it is not worth it - my understanding is that you pay the PP penalty daily!
hkbhsi

Post by hkbhsi »

Yes, the penalty is daily but it's a small one compared to the amount of PP you receive. Obviously you cannot do it with all groups but I was thinking about one or 2 units maximun. I ask because it looks to me like in the long term Japan has way more PPs than you can spend. Am I wrong on this?
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: hkbhsi

Yes, the penalty is daily but it's a small one compared to the amount of PP you receive. Obviously you cannot do it with all groups but I was thinking about one or 2 units maximun. I ask because it looks to me like in the long term Japan has way more PPs than you can spend. Am I wrong on this?

Well, not exactly. You have more than you need if you don't use them, but if you use them you will run out. And I know that sentence doesn't make a lot of sense [:D]

Before you say you have more than you can spend, have you

1) Examined every air unit's leader and replaced the ones below what is available in the pool?
2) Examined every combat ship's captain and replaced the ones below what is available in the pool?
3) Examined every LCU leader and replaced the ones below what is available in the pool?

I also would like to note for #1 that a "good" leader for a front-line fighter unit may be a "bad" leader for a rear-area training unit which means that leaders need to be switched out when rotating units.

And I would also like to mention that new leaders appear in the pool almost every day. Well, at least every week [:)]

Once you have done that (and I have never managed all of it) then you have PPs that you can use for things like a DAILY withdrawal cost.

EDIT And all of that is in addition to buying out infantry from Manchuria (which basically is what happened in real life since there was only a shell of an army left there by the time the Russians activated)
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I usually keep couple of US Army A-24 Banshee dive-bombers in combat until I can replace the units with Marine SBDs or run out of replacement planes for them. This because Allied are quite short of effective anti-shipping air units in early 1942 and SBD replacements are needed for CVs. 
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I usually keep couple of US Army A-24 Banshee dive-bombers in combat until I can replace the units with Marine SBDs or run out of replacement planes for them. This because Allied are quite short of effective anti-shipping air units in early 1942 and SBD replacements are needed for CVs. 

Yeah its a great idea to do that, I did the same with using A-24's in Moresby for anti shipping and Milne Bay. But everyone must be careful because I made a mistake of moving some chinese or Indian units around and got slammed with to to few of garrison points which drained my PP horribly every day on top of keeping squadrons like A-24's that were due for withdrawal.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
jackyo123

Post by jackyo123 »

ORIGINAL: hkbhsi

I'm playing Japan in my first PBEM and I'm reaching the point when you have to start withdraw air units. My question to the more experienced JFB is if it is a good idea to pay PP to keep some units that I feel are very useful like some big Naval Bomber squadroons in unrestricted HQs.

Thanks a lot.

I usual;lyrr to keep one super ASW squadron in b17's - long range, good punch. building ASWfrom dec 41 can get them mid 50's by mid 42. They are your best asw groups
My favorite chinese restaurant in Manhattan -
http://www.mrchow.com

The best computer support firm in NYC:
http://www.thelcogroup.com

Coolest internet toolbar:
http://www.stumbleupon.com

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”