Deto's Pad

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Deto

Deto's Pad

Post by Deto »

Some of the ships ingame. There's no colonyship, scoutship nor smaller freighters in the picture, couldn't find anything I could copy paste in the same screenshot.. :)

I'm probably going to give them little racing stripes too to identify ship classes better (civilian ships with different color than military and non-warships in different?)

NOTE: The starbase is from the original set I'm 'replacing'

I don't know why some of the bigger ships look so blurred when they should be big enough as picture :( Got same problem with colonyship, its completely blurred, but its same size as the rest... dunno how to fix it

edit: Also I have to 'scale' bigger ships someway to give them more size variance :>

Tycow

RE: Deto's Pad

Post by Tycow »

They're looking very good Deto...

How about serial numbers for the ship classes? Might make them easier to ID.
Deto

Post by Deto »

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Serial numbers? Might not be very visible if I added those on them.. unless the font size is galactic :)
wodin

Post by wodin »

The trouble for me with most of the sci fi space games Ive seen...is they always have cartoony super colouful spaceships....always puts me off as soon as I see them.....I do however like the look of this mod...they look the right colour....they look like they spend long time in space not something that a graffeti artist has had ago at...the more realisitic looking the better....though to me at the moment it would be hard to tell the different types apart at a quick glance...not sure how you fix that and still keep them looking realistic.

Just taking another look maybe they could have different coloured lights instaed of all of them having red lights?
Tycow

Post by Tycow »

ORIGINAL: Deto

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Serial numbers? Might not be very visible if I added those on them.. unless the font size is galactic :)

True, but they don't have to be large serial numbers. It could be three letters, like CVF, DES, FRG etc! :D
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Looking great, Deto!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Not telling you how to do your stuff but have you considered 2 different color schemes for military versus civilian ships?

Say Military stay with the standard gunship grey base color, and have the civilian ships have something like a white and blue color scheme...would make them much more easy to identify.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Deto

Post by Deto »

ORIGINAL: wodin

The trouble for me with most of the sci fi space games Ive seen...is they always have cartoony super colouful spaceships....always puts me off as soon as I see them.....I do however like the look of this mod...they look the right colour....they look like they spend long time in space not something that a graffeti artist has had ago at...the more realisitic looking the better....though to me at the moment it would be hard to tell the different types apart at a quick glance...not sure how you fix that and still keep them looking realistic.

Just taking another look maybe they could have different coloured lights instaed of all of them having red lights?

Saddly the light color comes from 'code', so if you choose blue as your empire color, then the lights are blue too. Otherwise it would have been nice thing :) I have to try if I can somehow 'control' the size of the ships by scaling the art smaller in parts. When I get more ships done, I'll try it out too.

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Not telling you how to do your stuff but have you considered 2 different color schemes for military versus civilian ships?

Say Military stay with the standard gunship grey base color, and have the civilian ships have something like a white and blue color scheme...would make them much more easy to identify.

Oh, critic is very welcome and its a good idea. I had similiar in mind, but its probably better to tag all civilians to certain look and all warships to another, and still give the player option to some color schemes on 'special' builds :)
Shelldrake

Post by Shelldrake »

Very nice Deto! A vast improvement over most of the stock ships.
incbob

Post by incbob »

I for one cannot wait to download.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I think they suit being the humans ships better than the vanilla ones.Nice.
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

Nice done.
I when I say nice this mean very good.
Also I support Shark7 idea.

Deto

Post by Deto »

Two galaxy replacements what I use currently, I use the red one. They're darker and 1,5x higher res than the original set... and hardly packed at all, so it could be kinda heavy on old machines. The originals felt a little bit blurry and low res to me and also a little bit too bright to distinct the stars good enough.  And Thanks to Nasa for images and photoshop for killing everything Hubble has taken time to photograph :D

Use the 'text' links to download, the small images are just to show what they're like :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/238567/dw/galaxy_backdrop.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/238567/dw/galaxy_backdrop2.jpg
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Two galaxy replacements what I use currently, I use the red one. They're darker and 1,5x higher res than the original set... and hardly packed at all, so it could be kinda heavy on old machines. The originals felt a little bit blurry and low res to me and also a little bit too bright to distinct the stars good enough.  And Thanks to Nasa for images and photoshop for killing everything Hubble has taken time to photograph :D

Use the 'text' links to download, the small images are just to show what they're like :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/238567/dw/galaxy_backdrop.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/238567/dw/galaxy_backdrop2.jpg

So, how did you go about editing the new map into the game?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Deto

Post by Deto »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

*snip*

So, how did you go about editing the new map into the game?

I'm lazy and I just replaced ...Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops\galaxy_backdrop.jpg with whatever I wish to use at given time :) I don't know how to choose which map to use, so I removed others :D

edit: Oh! about! I just went crazy with bunch of layers of different looking galaxies and nebulas and just did some color tweaks and layer effects :)
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

I was hoping for a mod that added ships that were less phallic [;)]
Tormodino

Post by Tormodino »

Well... They do penetrate space.
Kamonrius

Post by Kamonrius »

lol you had to see that coming, so any word?
Deto

Post by Deto »

No further word, other than every empire needs phallic super weapon to dominate the stars! ;D
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I think the ships should scale the same as those in the game,or it will just look like the race has bigger classed ships which ruins immersion.

Return to “Design and Modding”