Large galaxy a bit slow

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gertjan

Large galaxy a bit slow

Post by Gertjan »

I just started my 2nd game with the new patch, but with 500 stars it got a bit slow/irresponsive once the game got really started (still playable though). DW consumed about 1,2 gb of ram when I looked in the task manager while pausing the game. How could I make this game run faster? Do I need a quicker cpu? Does it benefit from more cores at all? Or is it that I need a newer graphic card with more memory? Perhaps my graphic card is too weak for my (relatively) high resolution? Any advise would be much appreciated!

This is my machine: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @2.66 ghz (2cpus) 4gb ram (3.2 available due to windows 32 bit) Nvidia Gefore 8800 GTS, 320 mb, I run it at 1680x1200 (native resolution of my monitor 22 inch)
OverlordCW

RE: Large galaxy a bit slow

Post by OverlordCW »

The game doesn't seem to be multi-threaded at all, it always uses 13% of my CPU which is exactly on core. I have a faster PC than you and the game becomes quite choppy for me, too. Even though I only play at 1280x1024.
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

So cpu is probably not the issue then, what could it be, the graphics?
OverlordCW

Post by OverlordCW »

It IS probably the CPU, as the game is not multi-threaded a single-core with a high clock rate is most likely better than a multi-core CPU. The only thing that can be done is to multi-thread the game, but an application has to be designed from ground up to be mt'ed, doing so afterwards is a major effort and oftentimes has an decremental effect on performance if done poorly. Suffice it to say multi-threading an application is not an easy task.
Coupon

Post by Coupon »

I can confirm this game loves a fast cpu. I overclocket my old C2D E6600 from 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz and got a nice boost.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Gertjan,

Are you already trying the suggestions in the Tech Support FAQ to improve performance? The game is multi-core aware actually, but I'm not sure it uses the additional cores for everything.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
PaladinOO

Post by PaladinOO »

Here's what I've found after some research.  My PC has a AMD Phenom II X4 945 for it's CPU, 4GB of ram, and a GTX 260.  Without a doubt, this computer should be tearing up Distant Worlds but I'm consistently getting poor performance.  CPU-Z explained why.  My core speed while at the desktop is around 800mhz which is far below the 3000mhz it can run at.  The core speed remains at 800mhz once I get into Distant Worlds and start playing which, I believe, causes the poor performance I've been experiencing.  When I fire up Everquest 2 which is a game that is very CPU driven, my core speed jumps up to 3000mhz and I experience smooth gameplay.

My thoughts as to why this is occurring is because the Cool N Quiet technology that AMD uses for it's processors is underclocking the CPU to save electricity and reduce hear.  For whatever reason, the CPU isn't realizing that it needs to go faster.  I suppose I could turn off the Cool N Quiet in the BIOS but then I'll be wasting electricity.  I'll run some experiments with it off to see if that improves my performance.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Very interesting report, Paladin00. First I'd heard of CPUs not ramping themselves up to full speed for DW. Elliot will have to see if we can do anything on our side as well.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
PaladinOO

Post by PaladinOO »

Looks like the video card isn't ramping up either.  The CPU is now running at 3ghz but I'm not seeing any performance increases.  I'll turn my sights on the video card and see.

Edit: No increase in performance from increasing the clock rates on my CPU or GPU. Edit2: Now there is definitely an increase from increasing the CPU core rate.
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

Erik Thanks for the pointer I will try them. I have, as many people I suppose, realtek audio software installed on my pc. Where do I find the latest drivers for this?
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

But does upgrading your audio drivers increase the speed/framerate/performance of the game? I dont have any problems with my sound currently and I dont want to mess it up.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

CPU speed is the biggest factor in DW performance. If your BIOS or something else is lowering your clockspeed that would definitely be a problem. Seems strange that it wouldn't step the clockspeed back up when the demand from DW kicks in. Maybe your machine is overheating, so clockspeed drops again? I've personally had problems like this before, but cleaning out some dust, and ensuring better airflow fixed it [:)] You could also try a tool like SpeedFan to pump up the CPU fan maybe?

DW uses multiple processor cores, if available. But not for everything in the game, so usage across cores will not be even. Having 2 or more cores will improve performance in DW.
PaladinOO

Post by PaladinOO »

I just set my power plan in Windows from Balanced to High Performance and my core speed jumps up to where it's suppose to be. More specifically, there is a setting under "change advanced power settings" called "minimum processor state" which I can use to set the slowest that my CPU will run at. By adjusting that to 100%, I can run my CPU at full speed while playing Distant Worlds

As far as I can tell, it's not a heat issue since I have other games that do cause the CPU to step up in speed without any issues what so ever. Tomorrow, I'll use CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temp just to make sure.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Do you have anything else on? what about in the task bar or what ever it's called in the lower right corner? You know beside the time. I only try to have my anti virus on and everything else off. I turn off messenger and what ever to get better. I think RAM plays alot to, not just the CPU.
Dave32

Post by Dave32 »

DW uses only 1 core of my C2Q CPU, for 100% (and is slow). If developers didn't have in mind multithreading, for sure they didn't think of general optimization for it's more complex task :) I think (if not making multithreaded) DW can be optimized to run smoothly using only one core with half speed, there's no complex graphics. Now it's the issue for many games "why spend time for optimizing, buy faster CPU!".

Return to “Tech Support”