Master Wishlist Thread

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gertjan

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

Post by Gertjan »

I agree ShadowB. In particular in the large galaxies games.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

ORIGINAL: ShadowB

This might be a complicated suggestion, but the game needs some performance optimization. Zooming and even some window loading feels sluggish when it shouldn't. Sometimes even scrolling is choppy.

On a quad-core CPU (Athlon II X4 620), 4 gigs of RAM and an ATI 5850, everything in this game should be smooth. But at the same time, one shouldn't need a PC of that calibre to run DW smoothly.

Still a great game, but this is something that should be worked on.
Stupid suggestion, since I don't know much about computers. It seems to run smoothly for me, and I don't have a system as good as yours. Then again I am still in the early stages of the game. How much do you have running on your computer? The reason I ask is because maybe because you have such a great system, maybe you have too much running in the back ground without realizing that you have them running.

New idea to add. When making something in the construction screen, say I want to make a ship and it lists the resources. How about in the resourcesit takes, are highlighted as well. Green I have plenty of that resource, yellow I have enough but will run out, red not enough resource to complete.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Please PLEASE make the designing of ships easier to use.

I absolutely love the actual design aspect (I feel like I understand what Elliot was thinking when he put this in place!). This is great.

I just cannot find out which is the latest designs easily (there's a ton of different varieties of each class in the 'Designs' window). Not only this but I don't understand what the AI does to retrofit ships when this feature is automated (I never see my ships going back to a spaceport to be retrofitted, but I see new designs the AI has made in the Designs window), I can't see the point of the 'upgrade' buttom if all it does is create a new design with a totally different name altogether! This is just a few reasons!
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

1. Need a button to Either Refit a whole group or ships and to Scrap them. It could be name based like it does in Galciv 2. (so far every game I played has made this mistake even Galciv 2 did when it first came out)

2. We need a button to protect a fleet from AI messing with it if we have Auto Fleets on. Currently they destroy your own fleet.

3. We need a button to protect our ship designs. Or the AI needs to leave them alone one or the other.

4. We need a better way of loading troops, easier.

5. The players AI war thing needs a lot of work. Right now its too dumb and if you let it run a war for you, you will lose. Even if the AI is much weaker then you. And this goes with number 2 also. We need an option to shut off a Player made fleet from AI control. For the player can have some control over defenses in case the AI send everything out to attack and the enemy decided to hit your home system. (which it will)

6. Some of the onscreen signals like planet invasion need to be more visual. Right now you have no idea if a planet is under attack unless you click on the planet. You need to have a symbol over the planet in outside view for we have a visual ID if the invasion is on or not.

7. I don't think we have a way of telling how advanced another empire is. Maybe a spy mission to open things up like ship types, numbers and tech level would be a good idea. Since going to war you would need to know if your going to be outclassed or not.

8. When you open up trade with another empire. The option for mutual defense pack is gone.

9. In ship design a button that adds all the needed stuff should be added. No real reason to have the player have to select everything every time when you have to have it.
davidjruss

Post by davidjruss »

Construction Screen

Before one commits to the purchase of a ship of other construction item there should be some sort of visual indication that one has ( or has not ) all the resources needed to produce the item in question. At present the only way seems to be is to write down the list of resources needed and then compare the list to the cargo / resources to hand.

DavidR
incbob

Post by incbob »

Retrofitting military ships should take priority over civilian ships.

The time for a retrofit to be completed should be listed when you click on the base or ship.

I think I said it before, but stop the AI from disbanding player fleets.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

1. Slower or Faster Economy Option (Similiar to slower or faster research option) (I love to slow things down to make building individual ships special and not a million ships everywhere and micro management hell)

2. When setting up your opponents have a way to select all to be a certain way. (Such as all distant from you instead of having to click on every single race individually) Too much clicking!

3. The option to have races distant from YOU is great but there should also be an option to have all races distant from EACH OTHER as well! (Its no fun when you are in the center of the galaxy and everyone else is in one big clump in the corner of the map) They should be spread out from each other too!!!

4. If selecting playing random races there should be an option if you want duplicate races or not...

5. When picking your ai opponents government you should also be able to set their government to the race special government as this option is not available!

swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

I just had a great idea!

There are many complaining about large fleet management and fueling idle ships (ships being ready to go at a moments notice). What about creating a fleet docking bay type component (like a troop component) that once a military ship docks with it (the starbase it is built into), it is removed from the map until ordred to exit. This could keep your fleets organized and fueld in one fell swoop. If you build enough of these components into a starbase, it can house an entire fleet (off-map and ready to go fully fueled). If you could order whole fleets in and out of it, that would be perfect. Of course they will need very heavy defenses (or maybe all of ships deploy when the come under attack).

What do you think?
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Can abundance be shown in the expansion planner so we can prioritise targets when short of resources
wjthomps

Post by wjthomps »

I'd just like to have the option of holding down the left mouse button to drag and reposition the map for viewing purposes. Zooming while holding down the CTRL key is tricky. Allowing us to adjust our view of the map by dragging it would be a great help. Thanks!
Pulas

Post by Pulas »

Hey! I have just a single wish:
When i click a star, and see the available resources, if i click a resource please dont give me the *pedia again, but zoom me to the planet or moon with the resource. I've spent hours looking for resources within a system after getting to know they are there. I know you can check in the galaxy map, but thats another 5-6 really unnecesary clicks away!
darrenl

Post by darrenl »

The only thing I see so far is the need to organize your fleets a bit better. A fleet hierarchy maybe? i.e Army->Corp->Regiment...except in a "spacey" kind of way :)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Pulas

Hey! I have just a single wish:
When i click a star, and see the available resources, if i click a resource please dont give me the *pedia again, but zoom me to the planet or moon with the resource. I've spent hours looking for resources within a system after getting to know they are there. I know you can check in the galaxy map, but thats another 5-6 really unnecesary clicks away!

The expansion planner does this better anyway.
pekbro

Post by pekbro »

.APNG support for customization would be nice :)
Darthcaboose

Post by Darthcaboose »

Would be nice if, when the AI offers you some tech in a deal, you can click the name of the tech directly from the diplomacy box to get a Galactopedia listing of the item in question. Many times I've been offered a "X2 Razzamataz-of-sorts" and had no idea what that was until I clicked and searched my way through the Galactopedia to the item in question, on top of comparing the research item with current technology and how close my researchers are to getting that tech.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

How about making ships without FTL? I was trying to make just system ships, or planetary defence ships, but coudln't because I needed a FTL device on it. I guess we need the FTL so it can poof out and sol II and poof in in sol VII for example. Without the FTL, I guess you couldn't do this. Is this correct?
Tyranicus

Post by Tyranicus »

When construction ship refuel they should take on any resourses for buildin bases.
impact

Post by impact »

When construction ship refuel they should take on any resourses for buildin bases.

Uhm, I would suggest it the other way around: whenever construction ships pickup resources for base construction, they fill up on fuel.
Impact1986

Post by Impact1986 »

ORIGINAL: impact

Uhm, I would suggest it the other way around: whenever construction ships pickup resources for base construction, they fill up on fuel.

Hey, you have stolen my name! And you are also from germany! And you love this game!

Are you my evil half twin?

back on topic, some things i would like to be added

Having more personalized crew of the Ships.
- Have a captain with a name (maybe a name randomizer?, and a number for the crew you have on that ship.
- Also add experience points, so i start caring about not losing that old ship, but instead refit it.
- Include a complete Techtree with all the tech description

Btw, how moddable is Distant Worlds?
I would like to add these features by myself, i dont think it would be that difficult, excluding the techtree because i have no clue whats in there
Tyranicus

Post by Tyranicus »

Probally already been wished for but I want Carriers and Fighters. Just so i can re-name the ship Concordia!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”