Unusable ruins bonus ?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

PDiFolco

Unusable ruins bonus ?

Post by PDiFolco »

Just stumbled on a ruin which would give huge bonuses to colony income empire-wide (!!) BUT it's located on an Ice planet, which is not colonizable at all if I've read correctly the colonisation constraints ...[:(]
So it's just useless, put here to frustrate player ? [:@]
PDF
mbar

RE: Unusable ruins bonus ?

Post by mbar »

Hey I explored a ruin and all I got for my trouble was unleashing a swarm of Giant Kaltors. [:D]
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

Well, every race can colonize continental planets, other types of planet can only be colonize by specific races after a tech has been researched... Yours probably cannot.

Your best chance is to wait for an enemy to colonize that planet and take it. [:'(]
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog

Well, every race can colonize continental planets, other types of planet can only be colonize by specific races after a tech has been researched... Yours probably cannot.

Your best chance is to wait for an enemy to colonize that planet and take it. [:'(]
I've read that Ice/Volcanic/Ocean can never be colonized, only already populated by a "native" race ... Do such races, once "subjugated" also give the ability to colonize other planets of their native type ?[&:]
PDF
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

I've read that Ice/Volcanic/Ocean can never be colonized, only already populated by a "native" race ... Do such races, once "subjugated" also give the ability to colonize other planets of their native type ?[&:]

I don't think so.

I'm sure those can be colonized too, I read it in the Galactopedia... But it seems that the Galactopedia is meant to be read when playing Human, though...

e.g. in the Shandar's description, it says they live on Volcanic planets, while Naxxilian's one say they live on Ice planets and Ackdarians live on Ocean planets...
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Huh, the Galactopedia is racially oriented ? [:D]
PDF
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

I belive that you can colonize this planet if you have colony with race whose can colonize it. Simply bulit colony ship on this colony(colonist are recruit from race with bigger population) and send them to Ice planet.

HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Open up the editor and put a colony on it. Either a minor or one of yours.
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: Davor

Open up the editor and put a colony on it. Either a minor or one of yours.
That's awful cheating !! [:@][:D]
PDF
tgb

Post by tgb »

I explored a ruin and all I got was this stupid T-shirt.
dawilko

Post by dawilko »

One research item is the advances colony module, that allows you to colo ice, volcanic and other usually non habitable planet types. You can research in that direction by manually manipulating the resarch in a particular field, but this stops research in others.
richieelias

Post by richieelias »

each race has its own "home" type which it can colonize natively as far as I can tell. All start with at least continental, some can also colonize volcanic, some ice, some desert, etc.

Also, once you have a race inside your empire which can colonize a planet type which you normally cannot, any colony ship built from the planet which contains that race (for example, you take over a colony on an ocean planet. Now any colonizer you build on that ocean planet can colonize other ocean planets.) Using this method you can take any ice planet which is already populated, build a colony ship from there, and then colonize the ice planet with ruins on it.

And of course you can also just wait for the proper tech.

Several different options for colonizing any planet type except barren.

In my current game I am able to colonize Volcanic, Desert, Ocean, Marsh, and Continental. I do not have any advanced colony tech yet and I started with Desert, Continental, and Marsh Colonies accesable using the Securan race.

Now I *think* Naxxilian and Ugnari both start with the ability to colonize ice planets.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: tgb

I explored a ruin and all I got was this stupid T-shirt.

If the shirt fits...
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: mbar

Hey I explored a ruin and all I got for my trouble was unleashing a swarm of Giant Kaltors. [:D]

A swarm of pirates in my case. Though in another case I got a map to the surrounding systems, which was quite useful, since it basically explored it for me.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”