Is this game any good and why

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

HsojVvad

Is this game any good and why

Post by HsojVvad »

Hello all. I must be living under a rock, since I never herd of this game untill someone mentioned Distant Worlds. I went out and got a pre paid credit card and tried to purchase DW, but I can't do it. It looks like Digital River dosn't accept the pre paid Visa cards. I looked at another game, Lost Immortals and tried to download it from another site since it was cheap. It wouldn't work either, but the Visa said I made an error but when I tried to fix it, it wouldn't work anymore.

I finally got to StarDock and was able to download LI. But I found out about Armada 2526 and Stardock also offers to sell the game, so since I can buy from SD and not DR, I am thinking of getting this game.

What I would like to know, is why should I get this game.

I love 4X space games. I loved Moo, Moo2 and galactic civ, but I haven't played it much since I didn't care for the combat too much. Moo3 was a big disapointment but play it from time to time.

So I see we have space combat. How is the space combat? How does it play? Is it more like Moo2, or Galactic Civ?
Can I make my own ships? I thought I read you can't make your own ships.
How is it building a colony? Is it fun? What options do we have?
How is the tech tree? How do we do research?
What about espinage? I love the spy games. I liked it in moo and moo2. Star Trek Birth of the Federation had a very bad espionage system. What is it like in Armada 2526? Can we steal techs? I hate when you can't steal techs.

What other things can you mention about Armada 2526 that I may not know about? Since you can't make your own designs, is it really that bad that we can't?

I want to try and do all my research for this game. I did my research for DW and it seems what I would love to play. But since I can't play it, I am looking for a new Space 4X game to try out. Once LI is done, I will be playing that, but from the reviews I read, I am not shure if I will like it. (again it was cheap and tried it out to see if my cc works. It does but not for DR. )

I will now go back to the forums and see what I can read about this game. It does look nice. What can you tell me about it?
Impact1986

RE: Is this game any good and why

Post by Impact1986 »

Stay away from this game. I had issues with saving my game, and if thats not gamebreaking, i dont know what is. Installing the latest .net Framework didnt help either
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Impact1986,

Was this the issue related to very large galaxies? Saving the game works fine in general, but there were some situations at release related to starting galaxies that were large enough that once you got into them there was not enough memory to save the game. I agree that was a bad bug, but I believe it has since been resolved and there was never a save issue in the smaller galaxy sizes.

Armada 2526 has been updated three times now and another update is in the works to improve it further. Davor, you may want to read through some of the other threads as well to get an idea of how this game is.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

Well I finally got DW, so I will be passing on this game for now. I will look back at it later when I feel I need a different game to play.
Impact1986

Post by Impact1986 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Impact1986,

Was this the issue related to very large galaxies? Saving the game works fine in general, but there were some situations at release related to starting galaxies that were large enough that once you got into them there was not enough memory to save the game. I agree that was a bad bug, but I believe it has since been resolved and there was never a save issue in the smaller galaxy sizes.

Armada 2526 has been updated three times now and another update is in the works to improve it further. Davor, you may want to read through some of the other threads as well to get an idea of how this game is.

Regards,

- Erik

No, it was in every galaxy size, searching for a solution was to update .net Framework, which still didnt work then... but it was the first version of the game... But its not only this, its just its whole design that i dont like... I thought you could change the weapons on your ships...
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

You can change the weapons on your ships, but only by editing the XML files.
gijas17

Post by gijas17 »

ORIGINAL: Davor

Well I finally got DW, so I will be passing on this game for now. I will look back at it later when I feel I need a different game to play.

Speaking of, Im in a huge debate - Erik or anyone reading on which game to buy (cant buy both rite now). I love hands on space battles but I like the 4x strategy feel and having control over a broad spectrum. DW looks amazing and I heard it can be cutomized for automation or manual control. How does Armada rate in conparison?

Also, include graphics, sounds and battle comparisons if you can. Thanks for your time.
"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Bought Armada last week (already own DW and SOTS, Sins, GC2) and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised.

Based on playing the tutorial scenario through a few times to turn 100+ (which in itself is a recommendation) my initial impressions would be that it doesn't do anything ground breaking for the genre but what it does it does well and in a very accessible format.

In comparison to DW (admittedly based on roughly equal play of the two games even though I've had DW since it came out)

Gameplay - Even though I've probably still got a lot to learn I already feel comfortable with Armada so that I'm thinking more about planning and strategy rather than how to actually do things in the game system. With DW I really still don't know what I am doing in any detail at a unit control / tactical level - maybe there are just too many options. This may be down to the fact that Armada is on more familiar territory in regards to the other games in the genre whereas DW is trying something more ambitious.

Graphics - pretty similar, neither as good as Sins but good enough

Sound - again pretty similar, I generally play with music off in both games and would probably only notice the sound if it was irritating.

Battle Comparisons - can't be much help here as although Armada has pauseable real-time tactical combat I almost always auto resolve as at this stage in learning the game (and possibly in the future as well) I'm more interested in playing the strategic elements of the game.

Overall for a fun more casual game Armada is a good fit, DW has however got the potential to be a very good game if you are can put time into the learning curve.

In general I would compare very loosely (in Matrix terms) Armada to Commander Europe at War or Uncommon Valor whereas I would compare DW to Forge of Freedom and possibly War in the Pacific.

Again the above is very much initial impressions.

gijas - just noticed from another post that you have already bought it (probably at the same time I did) I'll leave the above comments for general reference though.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: gijas

ORIGINAL: Davor

Speaking of, Im in a huge debate - Erik or anyone reading on which game to buy (cant buy both rite now). I love hands on space battles but I like the 4x strategy feel and having control over a broad spectrum. DW looks amazing and I heard it can be cutomized for automation or manual control. How does Armada rate in conparison?

Also, include graphics, sounds and battle comparisons if you can. Thanks for your time.

gijas -

I own both DW and Armada, and am enjoying the two games very much. Two very different approaches - both are well done quality games. Perhaps, and most importantly, the support for these two games by Matrix and the Designers is first class thru patches and excellent, immediate help on the forums.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
gijas17

Post by gijas17 »

Yeah, I went with both since I love the genre and found both apealing but thanks for your advise.
"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

drw61

Post by drw61 »

Wolfe -
Thanks for the input on the two games, I have been looking at both but could not make my mind up. Being a WitP/AE fan I think Ill go with DW I like the indepth detail.

Thanks all,
Daryl
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”