Problem

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

1925frank

Problem

Post by 1925frank »

I'm trying to make a Rising Sun scenario. When I try to play the scenario I get the following messages:

Direct Draw Message:
Failure to create bitmap surface: C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\ Rising Sun\ running 3d38.bmp

Direct Draw Message:
failure to stretch bitmap surface

Application Error:
This instruction at "0x5f4012a1" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read."

The game then goes to desktop, and my color schemes are changed.

I'm clueless. Any ideas? I vaguely remember a comparable problem years ago where I had to overwrite a file or rename a file, but it was a long time ago.

EDIT: 3d38.bmp provides the circular bases for the warlord forces. If I play the game in 2d, I don't encounter the problem.
Jason Petho

RE: Problem

Post by Jason Petho »

A temporary solution would be to copy and paste an existing running file and renaming it to the filename requested.

Jason Petho
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

hmm...that file doesn't exist in my directory either...

I suppose you could copy and rename one of the other running3dxx.bmp files to running3d38.bmp as an interim solution. I'm sure you'll find one that closely matches the color of the troops in your scenario.

Ha, also see that running3d035.bmp should be renamed running3d35.bmp.

Hope this helps,
ChadG[8D]

EDIT: Beaten to the punch....
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Thank you for the prompt responses.  Jason is quicker on the draw, as usual.

I have a 3d38.bmp file.  I can see the bases when I turn them on.  I just can't run the game with the bases on.

If I understand correctly, I'll need to take another base file (3dxx.bmp) file and rename it 3d38.bmp?
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

whoops, sorry for the confusion...

the file you're missing is running3d38.bmp...

take one of the existing running3dxx.bmp files and copy, then rename to running3d38.bmp.

ChadG
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Okay!  We're on the same page.  I saw the absence of a running3d38.bmp and the running3d035.bmp file, which I changed to running3d35.bmp.

I copied a running file, renamed it as running3d38.bmp, and pasted it back as running3d38.bmp.  With bases on, the game did not crash, but I got a message I was now missing a running3d38.bmp file, so I did the same for that one. 
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Correction:  The second running file I was missing was running3d13.bmp, if I remember correctly.  I'll have to double-check tonight.
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Further correction:  It wasn't running3d13.bmp.  Rather, the second file I was missing was running13d38.bmp. 

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”