how does it match upto expectation?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Johnus

RE: how does it match upto expectation?

Post by Johnus »

Sarrisofoi:

How did you get your music to work?
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Having got the game, it's blowing me away. I'm only just out of the tutorials, but it get's so many things right. Things that others games should get right but so often don't - like a proper solar system with orbiting planets (they actually orbit!) and moons, and a proper galaxy. At last a space 4X that actually feels like the designer knew a little about astronomy. It just helps me immerse in the game.

What he said; that's a very refreshing change. Still very early days, but despite a few rough edges I'm loving this one; there is is just so much you can DO with the game. The continuous time approach ("RTS" really should be applied to Distant Worlds in any context) works very well and actually feels rather more natural than in games like the Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron series which to me always felt a bit like perfectly respectable turn-based games somebody bolted 'real time' onto just so they would sell better. Make no mistake, though, this is a genuine '4X', albeit it a unique take on that genre, not a 4X/RTS hybrid like Sins.
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

I haven't a clue what I'm doing but I am enjoying not having a clue what I'm doing! There is almost too much going on at times.
My only gripe was the price. For the phy+dig=£42.00
I do wonder if this may put some potential customers off.
Huh?
dave74

Post by dave74 »

eric,

great game, but i also do not get any music
vaios76

Post by vaios76 »

There is a lot to like in Distant Worlds. I haven't played the game much (just two hours) but I find it really good, full of fresh ideas. I like the division between private and public sector (as it minimizes micromanagement and is more realistic). the orbiting planets, the ai and many more features.
I also believe there's room for improvement.
I would really like to see more diplomatic options in a future expansion - maybe a non-agression pact, a share supply treaty, tariffs between unfriedly empires(a step before trade sanctions) if it's not too much trouble. By the way a question to the developers : was the game developed in c#? Anyway really good job!
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi
I gonna start again and check designs and rest of the stuff.
But man I lost saves. Kurrrrrvuss magnuss!

Were you using the default save location or had you "saved as" to a folder of your choice? If you do the latter, you can put them wherever you want and it will remember that setting.

You can also search your computer for *.dwg files.

Isn't the game saving to default "Windows documents" locations ? That is "My Documents/..etc" in english, but more like "Mieski Dokumenstki" in Polish [:D], so if you save with English language and change it later the game won't find the saves anymore - maybe ??
PDF
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi
Strenge thing. When I choose save where my save are?
I only see saves which I save using save as.
These is propably isssue why I lost my last save.

Once you "Save As" it looks in that location for all future saves/loads as it assumes you want to use that folder. You should still be able to find older saves by searching. I believe they are under the Application Data folder tree by default.
And I post my last save. Actually I want but these is more than 20mega. How to fast upload this things here?

Please see the post on where to upload save files in the tech support forum, we have a FTP location setup for this.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: dave74
great game, but i also do not get any music

For those of you not getting music, if you are not running Windows Media Player 11, you may need to upgrade to resolve a bug in previous versions that could be causing this.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Lord Karg

Post by Lord Karg »

I'm really enjoying playing the game. It's challenging, because it is Macro not Micro-management, which is new to me, and that is what I want - challenges. There is enough complexity and freedom of how to play the game that it is going to take an hour or two to work out the best way to manage the interface and conduct operations. For me, the best way to learn was to non have pirates at first, and only 1 opponent for the first practice game or two, and leave automation on except for something I wanted to experiment with. Once you figure out how to locate and order around ships things got easier for me. Oh, and economically, be careful how many colony ships (or other ships) you build as it can tank your economy. Just build them one or two at a time when you still have a small empire. Avoid negative cash.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks Lord Karg, we should hopefully have the rough edges that showed up once it got to the public squared away very quickly.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Bumping this to keep impressions on the first page.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
wodin

Post by wodin »

sticky the thread for awhile Erik...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”