Lil Feedback

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Deto

Lil Feedback

Post by Deto »

On initial feel on the game, I really love it, and on initial reactions this is written on. I'll put more up when I've played more. DW is surprisingly fresh even after years of MoO, other empire builders and boardgaming similiar "4X games" :)

The scale and options on starting the game are awesome and work very nicely and the whole game beginning customization simply rock. Galaxy is built and prepeared very fast at least on my machine and I got in to game quick, without tutorial, and little time before work.

And so, Holy Empire of Shkarhal's Divine Earth was orbiting rather distant sun with eager hands and ideas. Displeased, he redesigned the Royal Exploration Vessel Csker and sent it to nearby system, ignoring pleads and cries of His Excellency's citizens in the arms of hostile pirates.

Royal Exploration Vessel Csker discovered small asteroid field orbiting nearby star and... and! An alien lifeform! A space eel! With caution of a nobleman, the Csker approached the space eel attempting to hail it with all known languages of the Holy Empire, all one of them, but there was no answer.

A new discovery! Royal Exploration Vessel Csker had discovered old abandoned ship orbiting the largest asteroid. This would please the Emperor, captain thought, manouvering his ship from eel course to the asteroid course. With shift speed, he passed the eel, sent crew to the abandoned ship. Easy, the crew thought, and the ship fired up.

Both the Royal Exploration Vessel Csker and the Royal Crown of Shkarhal was recovered safely back to Holy Empire of Shkarhal's Divine Earth and presented to His Excellency! They were greeted as heroes, medals were presented, and His Excellency took the ship apart in the docks, jailed both ships crew for not establishing contact with the eel and He returned to his chambers, planning for expedition to the eel contact.

///

and less random talking. There's few things I noted while playing for my first hour (or completely randomness :) ).

First thing is that it would really ease the usage of ship design screen if all the components had line breakers between 'sections'. While the design tool was good, it was little 'hard' to find all the required base pieces for a ship. As example:

Thrusters -----------------------
[Thrusters item XXXXXXXX]
Life support ---------------------
[Life support item XXXXXXXX]

etc. Maybe even option to choose between two styles, that one, and:

Habitation -----------------------
[Happy module item XXXXXXXX]
[Happy module item XXXXXXXX]

And on the same topic, I wish you could put pieces in the ship with the module viewer or whichever it was called :)

And the second one I wanted to comment on was scrolling. While screen corners are good and keyboard is good they're still a little bit clunky. I myself very much prefer to do everything possible with mouse, and screen sides are little inaccurate.

I think it would be nice if one could scroll with mouse too. Maybe holding right click on empty spot would 'turn' the mouse icon to scroll icon and would allow scrolling, and right click itself would still perform whats it meant to perform.

///

Bottom word ~ So far the game seems simply brilliant. Good work! Can't wait to play more, which is a good sign def :)
Wade1000

RE: Lil Feedback

Post by Wade1000 »

Yes. Different ways to sort component lists to more easily find component group types would be beneficial.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

If this was your way of getting my attention Deto - it worked [:D]. I loved your story [:)]

Good ideas about the ship design - I'm sure we'll be adding some of that to make things easier.
Deto

Post by Deto »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

If this was your way of getting my attention Deto - it worked [:D]. I loved your story [:)]

Good ideas about the ship design - I'm sure we'll be adding some of that to make things easier.

Great success! [8D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Great post, Deto.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”