The Polish WHAT?!?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Warrior

The Polish WHAT?!?

Post by Warrior »

I just started another WWII campaign in September, 1939, playing the Germans. In the first scenario I attack Polish positions. It was something of a bloody shock to discover the Poles had an AIRFORCE!! (I've never heard of that before in the various WWII histories I've read and viewed.) After 6 turns, and two devestating Polish air attacks, I'm left with primarily tracks, tanks, and 20mm Flak halftracks (which didn't even faze the Polish pilots) to break their line. What a deal. My congratulations to the game designer for throwing something totally unexpected into the mix (I'm just glad I always include 20mm Flak in my core units, even if they weren't initially deployed to effectively repel an attack from the sky. And where is the Luftwaffe? Herr Goering is not very popular among my remaining troops at this point.).
Retreat is NOT an option.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Yes Poland had an airforce. Small, hoplessly outclassed with obsolete equipment, but they fought like tigers. Taking biplanes up against the Luftwaffe was usually a one-way trip, but occasionally a strike would make it through.

------------------
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com
nwbattalion@icqmail.com
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
Main http://www.nwbattalion.com
G. K. Zhukov

Post by G. K. Zhukov »

And those Polish fighter pilots knew how to fly their obsolete planes! They even got quite a few Germans down.

If you do not trust me, ask the RAF. Czech and Polish veteran pilots enabled Fighter Command to stand and then break the Germans during the Battle of Britain.
Niuszy

Post by Niuszy »

Originally posted by Bonzo:
Yes Poland had an airforce. Small, hoplessly outclassed with obsolete equipment, but they fought like tigers. Taking biplanes up against the Luftwaffe was usually a one-way trip, but occasionally a strike would make it through.
Almost correct. Polish AF wasn't equipped with biplanes Image. The Bomber Brigade was equipped with modern P-37 "Los" (Elk) bombers. Polish fighter forces were poorly equipped, but they managed to destroy over 150 Luftwaffe planes in Sept.'39.

During BoB, while RAF was losing approximately 1 pilot for every 3 German planes shot down, the losses in Polish fighter squads were as 1/6.

Greetings
Marcin

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”