The fonts

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Epsilon

The fonts

Post by Epsilon »

I find the font to be too small or is of a type that is hard to read, especially in the colony information window, is there a way to enlarge it or change the font? since the application is tied to your screen resolution I tried lowering the resolution, but the font stayed the same small size :p
Webbco

RE: The fonts

Post by Webbco »

Elliot said that the game runs at the same res as your desktop. Maybe decrease your desktop resolution to fix the prob?
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Elliot said that the game runs at the same res as your desktop. Maybe decrease your desktop resolution to fix the prob?
ORIGINAL: Epsilon since the application is tied to your screen resolution I tried lowering the resolution, but the font stayed the same small size :p
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

I'm sorry [8|]. I need to start reading questions properly and not ignoring important points.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

I find the font to be too small or is of a type that is hard to read, especially in the colony information window, is there a way to enlarge it or change the font? since the application is tied to your screen resolution I tried lowering the resolution, but the font stayed the same small size :p
Are you using XP?
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Are you using XP?
No, Windows 7
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I don't have Windows 7. Does it use ClearType fonts like XP, do you know?
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

I'm sorry [8|]. I need to start reading questions properly and not ignoring important points.
It's so easy to do. We all do it sometimes. [;)]
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Yeah it does.
magickoji

Post by magickoji »

Yes I agree... the fonts are a little hard to read.
PJL1973

Post by PJL1973 »

Indeed although they are hard to read they do remind me of the fonts in Frontier - Elite II. Changing your LCD/CRT display settings helps though, as going down a resolution or two.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Yeah it does.
OK. Dang, I thought that I could help, not sure. Let me try something and I will be back in a few...
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I had another idea but it didn't work either. The fonts are hard coded in the game, and the reason is so that they will fit in the menus. If a person were able to make the fonts larger then the wording in some parts would over run the space allotted in the menus.

Elliot will need to address this issue. I'm sorry I can't be of more help myself. I understand the problem as I have had trouble with my 1600x1200 with a 20" LCD and seeing some items perfectly.
impact

Post by impact »

Actually I don't think that is true. It rather seems to me that somehow the whole user-interface comes from the .NET-Framework, which is the reason why cleartype for example changes the look of your fonts (it wouldn't do that if you converted a font to graphics and used them in DX). Also I believe that the flickering of the user interface at times might be caused by this. However, I think you can get around it if you set your refresh speed to whatever refresh speed you have set on your standard desktop (75Hz in my case).
tgb

Post by tgb »

My 58-year-old eyes are having the same problem. Hopefully this can be adjusted in a patch.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: impact

Actually I don't think that is true. It rather seems to me that somehow the whole user-interface comes from the .NET-Framework, which is the reason why cleartype for example changes the look of your fonts (it wouldn't do that if you converted a font to graphics and used them in DX). Also I believe that the flickering of the user interface at times might be caused by this. However, I think you can get around it if you set your refresh speed to whatever refresh speed you have set on your standard desktop (75Hz in my case).
I've been wrong before, maybe everything I said was wrong. You might know best how the game is made.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I set my screen resolution to 1024x768, and while it made the fonts easier to read, everything was a little blurry and out of focus.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: tgb

I set my screen resolution to 1024x768, and while it made the fonts easier to read, everything was a little blurry and out of focus.
A lower resolution will make the fonts easier to see as they will become larger, but clarity is never as good at the lower settings.

Return to “Tech Support”