A few screenshots...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Wade1000

RE: A few screenshots...

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: hadberz
I, too, am wondering if the blue "fog" is REALLY a border representation?

This is your long range scanner. Building monitor stations causes the fog to show and you can see enemy ships unless they have stealth tech.
1) Do you can exterminate all colony population?
2) How this affected post glass colonization?

Yep, you can kill them all and it is bad for the environment. The environment will recover slowly over time.
Then what are the smaller blue circles? Erik Rutins said THEY are the long range sensor detection area.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Duckfang

Post by Duckfang »

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
Then what are the smaler blue circles? Erik Rutins said THEY are the long range sensor detection area.

My guess would be short-range sensors. IE, that's where you'll pick up stealthed ships.
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

Then what are the smaler blue circles? Erik Rutins said THEY are the long range sensor detection area.

The small circle means you have a colony in that system and own it. When looking at the strategic map the fog is large circles. See pic.

Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (182.1 KiB) Viewed 210 times
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Thanks.
So all the smallest, colored in, blue circles must be transports. On the battle screens the transports are in circles, the warships in triangles, and the bases in hexagons.

Some of the "empty", blue, ownnership cirlcles are of various sizes. I'm assuming that the more you own in a system then the bigger that ownership circle gets. Is that correct?

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Duckfang

Post by Duckfang »

Some of the "empty", blue, ownnership cirlcles are of various sizes. I'm assuming that the more you own in a system then the bigger that ownership circle gets. Is that correct?

I was wondering that myself. S'why I thought they must be short-range sensors.
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

I think it's related to how large your population is in the system. The smaller circles have smaller populations, larger circles larger populations.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
Win 11 Pro
rhohltjr

Post by rhohltjr »

ORIGINAL: hadberz
Yep, you can kill them all and it is bad for the environment. The environment will recover slowly over time.

Is there a terriforming tech? If so then perhaps the environment can be recovered to usefullness quicker than "slowly over tiime"?

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.
magickoji

Post by magickoji »

I was wondering. Is the game multi-processor aware?
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

Well the spec's on the home page say CPU: Dual Core CPU @2.0 GHz so...yep
magickoji

Post by magickoji »

ORIGINAL: DampSquib

Well the spec's on the home page say CPU: Dual Core CPU @2.0 GHz so...yep

Well lots of games have that as the spec. I don't think it really means that they use both cores.
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

Deleted.
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

Is there a terriforming tech?

Currently no.
I was wondering. Is the game multi-processor aware?

Yes it is, I don't know the details of it. Have to ask Elliot about that.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
Win 11 Pro
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696&mpage=1&key=terraforming&#2392562
ORIGINAL:  Son_of_Montfort
There is "sort of" Terraforming in the game. It's more of colony modules that allow you to more and more efficiently colonize different planet types than your race requirements, but it functionally serves the same purpose.

Also, if I remember what I read correctly, there are always like one two planet types that each race can not ever colonize. You can , however, conquer(or aquire via trade?) and assimilate races that will be able to use those planet types.

I like that idea because it adds some strategy but I still prefer that there be some "high" teraform technology in later game that would allow us to colonize the planets that are only available to certain races at start.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696&mpage=1&key=terraforming�
ORIGINAL:  Son_of_Montfort
There is "sort of" Terraforming in the game. It's more of colony modules that allow you to more and more efficiently colonize different planet types than your race requirements, but it functionally serves the same purpose.

Also, if I remember what I read correctly, there are always like one two planet types that each race can not ever colonize. You can , however, conquer(or aquire via trade?) and assimilate races that will be able to use those planet types.

I like that idea because it adds some strategy but I still prefer that there be some "high" teraform technology in later game that would allow us to colonize the planets that are only available to certain races at start.

The other option would be the 'Death Star Solution', if I can't have it, no one can... Then we can mine the asteroid field we leave behind.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

That would be cool also. I'd would like the opposite of it too though; having high technology able to create planets, or even habitation orbitals(like rings or spheres) and even further, Ringworlds and Sphereworlds.
If we can reach a level of development to destroy a world then it seems that we should also be able to eventually create worlds(though the creations would most likely be orbitals instead of solid mass spheres as planets are).
I like the idea of eventually being able to both destroy and create anything.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Given a civilization is advanced enough, the creation of planets, terraforming and the moving of stars is easy enough. What is hard is defeating the causality complex and creating a functioning wormhole.
I dare say that in 3 billion years when we're shaping star systems to our own desires and shaping planets like they were clay we still wouldn't be able to create a functioning wormhole.
martok

Post by martok »

We're getting a bit off-topic here, guys....

but I still prefer that there be some "high" teraform technology in later game that would allow us to colonize the planets that are only available to certain races at start.

I strongly disagree with this. I much prefer that some planets can never be terraformed/colonized. Otherwise, you'd end up with 5-10 colonies in just about every bloody star system you own, which would be utter madness. Even with Distant World's macro-management tools and automated AI functions, trying to run an empire with that many colonies would be a nightmare.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

Any new screenshots to tease us?
Gargantou

Post by Gargantou »

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

Given a civilization is advanced enough, the creation of planets, terraforming and the moving of stars is easy enough. What is hard is defeating the causality complex and creating a functioning wormhole.
I dare say that in 3 billion years when we're shaping star systems to our own desires and shaping planets like they were clay we still wouldn't be able to create a functioning wormhole.
I'd like to see your proof that for an "advanced" enough civilization, that it's easy to create planets etc.

Is there ANY form of proper science that can support this claim or is it just hopeful speculation on your part?

Anyway, just a few more days for DW now(hopefully), I hope I'll enjoy it when it comes out!
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

ORIGINAL: Gargantou
ORIGINAL: Epsilon

I'd like to see your proof that for an "advanced" enough civilization, that it's easy to create planets etc.

Is there ANY form of proper science that can support this claim or is it just hopeful speculation on your part?

Anyway, just a few more days for DW now(hopefully), I hope I'll enjoy it when it comes out!
Sure I'll just refer to any advanced civilization who has already done this, that will be no problem at all.
It's basic physics, we're allowed to move matter around and matter interacts within the rules and limitations of fields of gravity.
I'll wager that once mankind has the ability to study stellar nurseries in detail, the knowledge of how to pull mass together to create a small planetoid and create a molten core will not be far away.
However I can't imagine how mankind would ever figure out how to punch a hole in space that would allow near instantaneous travel from one point to another millions of light years away.

Most of our technological advances stems from interacting and perceiving the nature and the universe around us, the causality complex is such that you cannot die from a bullet that hasn't been shot yet, nothing thats naturally occuring within the known universe or within our laws of physics that shows such a thing to be possible and so faster than light travel will also be an utopia :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”