World at War ver. T - Allied AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Barthheart

World at War ver. T - Allied AAR

Post by Barthheart »

September 1, 1939

Europe is once again at war! The German Army has stormed across the borders of their neighbor Poland in violation of internatioal treaties.
Britian and France vow to support Poland against this agression.... the time of appeasement is over.
Commonwealth Nations around the globe flock to Britian's side in this great struggle against evil.
_________

We are playing this great scenario out again with AAR's to highlight some the new features.
We will be doing separate AAR's so that we can talk about strategy and let the general public in on our thinking.
Because they are separate AAR's and will contain sensitive information, please do not repeat info from one to the others.
Axis scum , if you are reading this, get out!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Barthheart

RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR

Post by Barthheart »

So the first turn... not much happening other than the Poles getting flattened.
I spent most of the turn organizing the British Empire. Not building too much as I want to get Infantry II before I start the build up, so mostly supplies and PP's for now. Need lots of supplies to upgrade all Cruisers to lvl II.

For Poland just pulling everything into Warsaw for the final battle. In the German assault we managed to kill a tank which is always good.

A new option for this scenario has been added - Historical Blitz. When chosen, the French start the game asleep, so you can't do anything with them. They wakeup and join the West when attacked or in May 1940, which ever comes first. To compensate for this the West gets 21PP for free each turn.
This will definately be an advantage for the Axis, and we're playing it to see if it's a balanced option.

My initial thought is that France will die too easily but we'll see. If definately stops things like withdrawing from the Maginot line early or just taking the entire French army to England to fight another day.

And so we begin......
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

September 29, 1939

Too slow to mobilize and poorly motivated to provide actual troops, French and British support of Poland amounts to little more thatn talk....
The German Army marches into Warsaw and thus ends teh opening act of WWII.

-----------

Not surprising Poland falls this turn.

First of the Canadian DDII's sets sail to make the Atlantic a dangerous place for uboats... I hope. I plan to make a cloud of single DD units to help track down and destroy any uboats they can find.

India is busy building engineers to make road through SE Asia.

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

October 27, 1939

After the collapse of Poland an uneasy calm settles over Europe that will later be dubbed "Sitzkreig"

--------

Still not much happening. Another DD II built in Canada and more engineers in India. Also S.A. is staging troops to attack Italian East Africa as soon as they join the war.

Up to 153 PP's so far, so next turn I'll research Infantry II. Not sure what to go for after that.... maybe Level Bomber II to start taking out bridges in Europe.

2 Cruisers upgraded in England at 3000 supplies each! Will take a while to upgrade the fleet.

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

November 24, 1939

Still on attacks against France and now we know why. The German Army has launched an attack on Yogoslavia. Allies promise to help the small nation but in reality are unlikely to be able to do much of consqeuence.

---------

Forgot to mention that last turn Lunaticus used the Pressure Axis Minors card, he probably mentioned though. This cost him 150 PP which I always thought was pretty high but as the German in this version start with 200 PP it maybe a little cheap. When these countries start they give the Germans an additional production equivalent to 24 PP per turn. Since they normally come in around the end of 1940, about 13-14 turns later, the Germans get about 300 PP for the price of 150 PP.... seems a bit cheap. Also gives an easy jump off point for the invasion of Yugoslavia.

However, it also makes the German-Soviet Garrison border longer which can cause a headache.... but I still think it should cost more.

Upgraded to Infantry II this round and started collecting for Bomber II. Also switched some PP's to supplies as winter's coming.... :(.

Basically I'm upgrading and building and waiting for the assault on France.....
Josh

Post by Josh »

Nice, a new AAR, always a pleasure to folllow.
But uhm, might I ask for some ... screenshots? [:D]
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Nice, a new AAR, always a pleasure to folllow.
But uhm, might I ask for some ... screenshots? [:D]

Thanks Josh, always nice to know someone is reading this.
Yeah, I haven't done any screenshots because there's nothing to see yet. I haven't fought in any battles or anything...
As soon as something comes up I'll post it.... you shouldn't have to wait too long now....
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

December 22, 1939

Winter is here and there is snow in most of Europe. Reminants of Yogoslavian army take to teh hills but there is not hope even there. Another inocent country destroyed byt he ravaging armies of the 3rd Reich. All the world worries who's next?

-------------------
Still not much happening on my side. S.A. Army almost finished build up in East Afirca, just need some horses. S.A. troops will now start to go to Egypt.

Indian Eng Corps nears completion and will start build masive road project all the way to Hanoi. Come Spring I think that Australia and N.Z. will start to garrison the islands in the Pacific just to make it harder for the Japs to move around. Subs will come later...

Up to 90 PP's this turn. I'll get Level Bomber II for sure next turn.... then what..... maybe Heavy Infantry II or Guns II.....

Hard to deside if I shold be totally defensive until the start of teh real fighting.....
LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy »

I am reading both AAR's, thanks[:)]
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Your welcome Lazyboy, and thanks for reading. [8D]
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

January 19, 1940

A new year begins and still no aggressive actions from the Allied nations. Are they just paper tigers or laying in wait.....

-------------

Sitzkreig continues as my Destroyers start to build a net in the Atlantic. Yugo army is all but destroyed with out much fight.

Indian Eng Corps builds first leg of road to Hanoi.

Aus and N.Z. begin building troops to garrison Pacific islands.

Researched Level Bomber II. Now gathering PP's for Guns II.

First Home Guard (HG) unit built in England.

And my first pic.... not very exciting though.... N. Atlantic sub net:

Attachments
WorldatW..6b_atlan.jpg
WorldatW..6b_atlan.jpg (152.82 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

And the Road to Hanoi:

Attachments
World at W.._6b_road.jpg
World at W.._6b_road.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 203 times
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

Regarding Road to Bangkok & Hanoi-

I'm sure you know this, but just in case:
If Vichy is declared, French Indochina except Hanoi (and a path to Kunming) become Japanese,
and, when JA plays Pacific Blitz card, Thailand becomes Japanese.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: explorer2

Regarding Road to Bangkok & Hanoi-

I'm sure you know this, but just in case:
If Vichy is declared, French Indochina except Hanoi (and a path to Kunming) become Japanese,
and, when JA plays Pacific Blitz card, Thailand becomes Japanese.

DOH! I new the part about Indochina, can't build there anyway with France frozen [:'(], but forgot about Thailand![X(]
What was the reason for just "giving" Thailand to the Japs without making them capture it?

Anyway, the road will go through! Maybe just a little behind schedule... [;)]
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

I try my best to stick to history when possible.
The reason is Thailand was not in fact controlled by the British, nor did they have British troops there. The Thai government "invited" Japan in. No shots were fired by anyone. At least that's my memory of what I read.
Also, I put the Malay peninsula to the historic Thai/Malay border at the time. After the war it changed.
This is also why Japan could so quickly come down through the Malay peninsula to get to Singapore - free access via Thailand.
On a humorous note, teh bulk of the Japanese army going down through the peninsula used bicycles!
kondor

Post by kondor »

Reading both AAR-s so far so good. I'll incorporate some of ideas in my next conquest in WaW...[:D]
Thx guys!
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Thanks for reading kondor! [8D]

February 16, 1940

Tensions start to rise with the temperature. The whole world awaits.....

----------------

Built another HG unit to guard York. Another RCN DD sets sail.
First S.A. troops reach Egypt. Also first ANZAC forces start occuping South Pacific islands.

British economy switched entirely to supplies to resupply navy in the coming turns.

Indians create South East Asia (SEA) Army. Staffing complete, new troops in teh coming months.

If the weather's good in March we'll see the invasion of France in April for sure. If it's still winter he may wait until May.... but unlikely.

Here's hoping for more winter.... never thought I'd hear that from me![:'(]

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

March 1940

With the end of winter, new fears of a spring offensive by Germany are becoming almost unbearable. When will the damn break?

-----------------------------------
Well spring came early so I really expect an attack next turn.
Indian SEA is building up. Hope to have enough strength to take back Thialand as soon as it defects.
More ships are fueld up and ready to go.
Last Yugo unit dies... alone.... in the hills... hope to start getting partisans soon.
2 British carrier fleest are off the coast fo Greece... hope to catch the German soff guard when they attack.
S.A. troops are pouring into Cairo.
Had 143 PP this turn so I researched Heavy Weapons II(135PP) instead of Guns II (167 PP). Will work on getting Guns II now.
HW II gives me access to Mortar II which will come in handy in attacking in SE Asia.

In case your curious here's a shot of my production this turn:

Attachments
prod8.jpg
prod8.jpg (147.43 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

April 12, 1940

Two more helpless neurtal nations fall victim to the German expansion. Denmark and Norway are both invaded with Denmark quickly capitulating. THe British Commonwelth acts quickly to sieze Iceland and Greenland, both vital to the defence of the North Atlantic.

During the invasion of Norway a British Destroyer was sunk off the shores of Oslo. All hands were lost.

Because of this, British response to the invasion of Norway is quick this time with the transfer of the BEF to Bergen. "We shall defend Norway and ensure it's freedom and that the Germans do not get their strategic resourses!" the PM declared in a public address.

------
So ... the Germans only open with the taking of Denmark and the invasion of Norway. Well the main event will happen next turn for sure as France wakes up anyway.
I moved the BEF to Norway to fight for it. Bergen is important if I need to send help to Russia, half of all support will be lost if it's in German hands. Also I can use the supplies from the Iron Ore mines.

I've replaced the lost DD with a sub right next to Oslo, this will do maximum AS damage if he's transfering supplies out or troops in. I hope to setup a continuous sentry there. Maybe draw the Kreigsmarine into a sea battle. He brought the entire KM and a large wolfpack out just to take out the DD....

I plan on just getting as many French out as possible... we'll see. Need to start building Bombers....

Attachments
WesternAllies_9b.jpg
WesternAllies_9b.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

May 10, 1940

The Germans have invaded again! This time the poor Lowland nations and France are the targets. Huge armies for the Third Reich sweep aside all that stand before them.... will there be no end!

----------------------------
Well it turns out that Germans don't get the Western Blitz card until May the same time the French wake up.

Lunaticus made good use of the frozen French and all but destroys the French army this rond. Not many Frenchmen are going to make it out. I transfered the Marseille garrison to Egypt. Some French troops make it to England.

More troops to Norway. made a bad attack ther that cost me 13 Rifle II's for 1 dead MG! And a Finish one at that!!!!

Canada building cargo ships to transfer troops to England. India build troops to take S.E. Asia. S.A. building troops to take N. Africa.

Italy will wake up next turn since the Germans took Lille, and I fully expect Paris to fall.....

(French running away!)
Attachments
WesternAllies_10b.jpg
WesternAllies_10b.jpg (144.32 KiB) Viewed 203 times

Return to “After Action Reports”