OT: HNLMS Tromp in action....

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DSwain

OT: HNLMS Tromp in action....

Post by DSwain »

Houtje

RE: OT: HNLMS Tromp in action....

Post by Houtje »

yeah go dutchies!
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

I say we need to pool $50 and buy the Pirates a copy of Janes Defense fighting ships, clearly they can't notice a difference between an oil tanker and a Dutch warship. Idiots.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I don’t want to piss in your cornflakes, but they will just confiscate their weapons and release them in their own boats near Somalia because in the local region nobody wants to prosecute them.

Last year, the Dutch navy actually brought 5 pirates back to Holland to stand trial and they absolutely loved it over here.
They get a free education in jail and after they are released they can’t be returned to Somalia because it isn’t safe enough, so they can stay and even let their family come over from Somalia because it is a human right to be reunited with their family...

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Agreed

"The two skiffs were destroyed and the pirates were set free on the mothership after it had been cleared of weapons."

This @#$! will go on until this civilized %$#! quits & someone gets serious.

Really, does no one read their history anymore? 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

I don’t want to piss in your cornflakes, but they will just confiscate their weapons and release them in their own boats near Somalia because in the local region nobody wants to prosecute them.

Last year, the Dutch navy actually brought 5 pirates back to Holland to stand trial and they absolutely loved it over here.
They get a free education in jail and after they are released they can’t be returned to Somalia because it isn’t safe enough, so they can stay and even let their family come over from Somalia because it is a human right to be reunited with their family...

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
Nice to see it's not just us germans who turned totally mad [:)]
Hopefully, there'll be a nice place for us over the ocean on time...
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Agreed

"The two skiffs were destroyed and the pirates were set free on the mothership after it had been cleared of weapons."

This @#$! will go on until this civilized %$#! quits & someone gets serious.

Really, does no one read their history anymore? 

That's what you should have done. Executing pirates summarily was done for centuries without getting rid of the problem. What eventually wiped out piracy in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean was that the pirates lost their safe harbors (=bases) because they were brought under control of governments that behaved according to the law. Do that in Somalia and the Somalian piracy will go away.

Everywhere in the world where there is piracy, you have either areas not under government control or areas where the people in power are involved in piracy themselves. Even in China, there was at least one recent case where local authorities supported pirates for a cut of the profits.

There was once a government in Germany that was committed to stamp out crime without bothering about legal niceties. The first thing they did was establish the Concentration Camps. The Netherlands also came to enjoy that regime for several years, but I've never heard that the brave Dutch showered the Nazis with gratitude for their robust crime control measures.
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]

Doesnt piracy have like 20 years in jail ????
Underdog Fanboy
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

No one will go into Somalia to bring order it has been tried a few times already..

Actually the blame for this piracy is not Somalia but the insurance companies and governments that pay the ransoms.. If im starving in Somalia and a guy goes look you can make 10K just look nasty , sit in a fast boat and take a few people hostage than its a pretty easy choice.
Underdog Fanboy
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

ORIGINAL: bklooste

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]

Doesnt piracy have like 20 years in jail ????

No, they are expected to get 3-5 years . With parole they will be out in 2-3 years...
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I say we need to pool $50 and buy the Pirates a copy of Janes Defense fighting ships, clearly they can't notice a difference between an oil tanker and a Dutch warship. Idiots.

I don't think it would help. If you can't see that big 5" gun sitting on the fore-deck and figure out that maybe you shouldn't attack it, you are far beyond any hope.

The good news is that their near terminal stupidity has effectively removed them as a threat to civilian vessels...they'll be spending quite a bit of time in jail I think.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I don't think it would help. If you can't see that big 5" gun sitting on the fore-deck and figure out that maybe you shouldn't attack it, you are far beyond any hope.

The good news is that their near terminal stupidity has effectively removed them as a threat to civilian vessels...they'll be spending quite a bit of time in jail I think.

No they wont.

Will be released in a few days, just without their weapons

Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: mikemike
What eventually wiped out piracy in the Caribbean

Not true, there are still pirates in the Caribbean, it's just they've become far more vicious. Boats vanish all the time down there, the occupants never to be seen again. It's just that the civilized governments don't want to lose their tourist dollars so they cover up and under-report the incidents. Make rule of law their biggest concern and Pirates will simply make sure they leave no one alive to testify.

Killing them is the only way to dissuade them. It won't stop them all, but the ones without any real backbone will definitely stop. The truly vicious ones will keep going, but not much you can do to stop them except arm the merchants.

Here’s a link to the IMB’s piracy map. It shows all reported attacks for each year since 05 and also has a live map for the current year’s statistics. The problem is, if you’re killed and your ship is taken (very common in the Caribbean), your ship doesn’t make the list and is simply listed somewhere as missing instead. And if the ship is later found but not the crew, again Caribbean governments do not report it as piracy, they simply quote sea states and wind conditions as the likely cause, to keep it from alarming potential tourists.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?option ... Itemid=104

Jim

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”