The Pacific (TV Show)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

decaro

RE: The Pacific (TV Show)

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

He was the Colonel of the 101st in BOB too :) Colonel Sink I think.

No..., I'm pretty sure "Colonel Sink" was played by Elliot Gould.

In a Bridge to Far, yeah, I think Gould was Sink. But in BoB, I'm thinking of the scene where Winters relieves Dyke, Sink/Dye was standing right there.

Re IMDb, Gould played a character named Col. Robert Stout.

From A Bridge Too Far (1977)
[Stout and Vanderleur are discussing how to get the Bailey bridge through town]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?
[looks at the crowd of Dutch civilians]

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: I don't know how you're going to get it through this crowd.

Col. Robert Stout: No sweat. I got a back way staked out that will avoid all this. American ingenuity.

Col. Joe. Vanderleur: Really?

Col. Robert Stout: Actually, I was born in Yugoslavia, but what the hell.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
baghdadbob

Post by baghdadbob »

you can find The Pacific on www.tvshack.com
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

In BOB, Sink be Dye.

In BTF, Sink no Dye, Gould Dye.

In Midway, no Dye, no Gould, no Sink, but many sink.

In Wake Island, no Sink, no Dye, but all die.

Any questions?  Have a good night.

lol that's good.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

I hope that this December 1941 map was just a bad dream or a bad joke

anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Yeah, hard to believe US troops in Iceland revolted for Germany. At least it looks like we finally took Canada tho.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

It's actually worse than that. I checked again, and it seems we can see the current borders of the countries that broke off from the USSR (and don't tell me it's just the SSR thing...). Gawd.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

In very early '42 there were rumors that Germany was considering an attack on Iceland to provide a base for anti-shipping bombers and subs.  That's probably what the map is indicating, even though it was only a rumor.
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

It's actually worse than that. I checked again, and it seems we can see the current borders of the countries that broke off from the USSR (and don't tell me it's just the SSR thing...). Gawd.

i take it you have never seen a jarhead map before?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Yeah, hard to believe US troops in Iceland revolted for Germany. At least it looks like we finally took Canada tho.
Yeah. 'bout time. What did we do with the rest of the weekend?[:'(]
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Yeah. 'bout time. What did we do with the rest of the weekend?[:'(]

Finding warmer clothes
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
vonSchnitter

Post by vonSchnitter »

Got a link for the first part to view for those outside the US.
May have some c.r. issues but is pretty good quality.

What is the policy on this forum ?

Remember that the first law of motion is to look where you're going. A man with a stiff neck has no place in an airplane.
Technical Manual No. 1-210, Elementary Flying, War Department, Washington,
vonSchnitter

Post by vonSchnitter »

Well,

since the powers that be kept silent, here you go

The Pacific, Part 1, for those ouside the US

http://www.movie2k.com/movie-116049-The ... -film.html // close the add and there you go

I am using Firefox with a DivX extension. Works.
However, since the d/l is slow, pausing may cause a sync issue with the movie and the sound track.

Best solution I am aware of, is "downloadhelper" - an extension to Firefox - and then use VLC Media Player

Links:

downloadhelper: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3006
VLC - a must have anyway - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Cheers

Remember that the first law of motion is to look where you're going. A man with a stiff neck has no place in an airplane.
Technical Manual No. 1-210, Elementary Flying, War Department, Washington,
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Watched Part II last night.  I was kind of disappointed with this one; lots of scenes of how bad the conditions were, lack of food, clothes falling apart, etc, etc.  Liked seeing them raid the newly arrived Army unit's supply dump for food and weapons, and the "night of the battleships" was well done.

The climactic battle where Basilone earns the MoH looked rushed, though.  Just the two scenes of combat, mostly of MG's mowing down rushing Japanese troops and John doing his heroics.  I did like seeing the men portrayed as being too weak to climb the cargo nets when they leave the island.  There was no mention of the airfield itself or how important it was, no scenes of artillery or mortar fire to help stop the Japanese attacks, nothing about the naval battles off shore that finally got the Marines the reinforcements and supplies they needed.
usersatch

Post by usersatch »

I thought part Two was outstanding. They only have an hour to cover an event where literally tens of thousands of people were involved in, while still focusing on 3 main characters and several more huge battles to come. Given the time and production constraints, I thought Hanks, et al did a fine job.
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Watched Part II last night.  I was kind of disappointed with this one; lots of scenes of how bad the conditions were, lack of food, clothes falling apart, etc, etc.  Liked seeing them raid the newly arrived Army unit's supply dump for food and weapons, and the "night of the battleships" was well done.

The climactic battle where Basilone earns the MoH looked rushed, though.  Just the two scenes of combat, mostly of MG's mowing down rushing Japanese troops and John doing his heroics.  I did like seeing the men portrayed as being too weak to climb the cargo nets when they leave the island.  There was no mention of the airfield itself or how important it was, no scenes of artillery or mortar fire to help stop the Japanese attacks, nothing about the naval battles off shore that finally got the Marines the reinforcements and supplies they needed.

Remember the focus is the perspective of the three men...as pointed out in one of the final scenes of Part II Lecki and friends had no idea about outside events or opinions..
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Thanks for the links so that I could watch Part 1.  HBO denies me viewing as I'm outside of the US.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I'll need to wait till Netflix gets it. [:(]
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

ORIGINAL: usersatch

I thought part Two was outstanding. They only have an hour to cover an event where literally tens of thousands of people were involved in, while still focusing on 3 main characters and several more huge battles to come. Given the time and production constraints, I thought Hanks, et al did a fine job.

I expect the next episode will cover the Marines' time in Melbourne, and when the new recruits start to show up. I realize they've got (less than) an hour to show what's going on in each episode, but a casual viewer would think that the Japanese launched one and only one major attack on the Marines' position the whole time the 1st Marine Division was there. Mentioning the other attacks in a different scene would have been nice.
WITPPL

Post by WITPPL »

Band of Brothers were not a RMA Sandhurst history lesson too. Which is good. It is about a man in a unit during a ww2 not about operational art of ww2.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I liked part II better than part I. Getting to know the individual characters a bit more now (Basilone, for example) and their experiences. One of the things that is left out of so many war movies is the filth: mud, blood, dirt, grime, dysentery and tropical diseases. The characters were grimy and worn by the time they reascended the AP at the end. Good show.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”