Gun value

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Athius

Gun value

Post by Athius »

I have a question about gun value and attack strenght:

When determining if a plane hits and damages another, does it do so induvidualy for each weapon, or does it juist use the entire gun value?

For example : when I Tojo is firing at an enemy plane,does the game check the individual weapons, determines that only the 7.7's hit and that those are so weak that they don't do any damage OR does the game check if the plane hits and then uses the total gun value to calculate the damage done?

bklooste

RE: Gun value

Post by bklooste »

Since huricanes are great ( with 8 small MGs) i suspect each weapon gets rolled seperately.
Underdog Fanboy
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Athius

I have a question about gun value and attack strenght:

When determining if a plane hits and damages another, does it do so induvidualy for each weapon, or does it juist use the entire gun value?

For example : when I Tojo is firing at an enemy plane,does the game check the individual weapons, determines that only the 7.7's hit and that those are so weak that they don't do any damage OR does the game check if the plane hits and then uses the total gun value to calculate the damage done?

I think it has to do with a calculation of Gun value and or damage strength vs armor, because some how it has to be calculated, because I know 7.7's do absolutely no damage to armored aircraft like P40s, however the hurricane for example as bklooste says - 8x303's on the other hand do pretty good damage to unarmored aircraft. Only problem I have is to determine is aircrafts like the Zero taking advantage of this being it carries only 2x20mm's with 60rpg, how does the calculation determine the amount of ammo? The ammo difference is only thing that ponders me, as I know the zero has 1,000 rounds of 7.7 and 120rounds of 20mm. Or is the ammo allowed not even calculated at all?
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

My suspicion is that gun ammo isn't taken into consideration much if at all.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Athius

Post by Athius »

Well, If the game only looks at the total weapon value then that would mean that the Tojo becomens significantly better: Although the 12.7mm's are less acurate the 2 7.7's at 4 points to the total value and would thus make the plane much more deadly.

This wouldn't be the case is the game looks at the guns individually
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

Well, If the game only looks at the total weapon value then that would mean that the Tojo becomens significantly better: Although the 12.7mm's are less acurate the 2 7.7's at 4 points to the total value and would thus make the plane much more deadly.

I suspct the Huricanes are so good because every gun gets a chance to hit..
Underdog Fanboy
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: bklooste

I suspct the Huricanes are so good because every gun gets a chance to hit..

At the office but IIRC the Hurricanes have 12 guns so even if aggregated I believe their gun value is a 24. Whereas a Zero with 2x20mm x4 =8 + 2x7.7mm x 2 = 4 = 12.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

So a P-39, with the 37mm, two .30 cal and 2 .50 cal MG's, should be even better at dogfighting due to the gun values?  What about a P-61 with the 4 20mm and 4 .50 MG's?
Uamaga

Post by Uamaga »

In old WitP (I doubt much changed here in AE) results of shooting were evaluated in groups of all guns of same type type, having same direction. So in this case 2x12.7 will be "shooted" separately from 2x7.7 (even though they have same F(orward)-facing). Gunvalue was just rough approximation. When determining results code compared gun Accuracy against target distance, its (adjusted) Effect to target durability and its Penetration to target armor.
Speaking from memory: guns with Penetration lower then target armor had serious penalty applied to its adjusted effect, on the other hand with Penetration above Armor there was a chance of getting bonus effect (something modelling bullets passing through the target I guess).
So in general 7.7mm were pretty good when shooting to unarmored targets (esp. in bunch of 8 like in Hurricanes) but would be next useless against later well armored allied planes.
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

So a P-39, with the 37mm, two .30 cal and 2 .50 cal MG's, should be even better at dogfighting due to the gun values?  What about a P-61 with the 4 20mm and 4 .50 MG's?

That would be to suggest that the only thing that mattered was gun values...[8|]

You still have to factor in Pilot EXP & Skill as well as Plane Speed, MVR, & DUR...among other items.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

How does the current code value the 37mm? I know its hitting power is great but does it have anyway to calculate the chance for hitting a fighter or bomber? Clearly if the 37mm hits a bomber from a range of 1 then the damage can be extensive, however on a fighter the chances of that same range of 1 hit would be pretty slim.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
String

Post by String »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

How does the current code value the 37mm? I know its hitting power is great but does it have anyway to calculate the chance for hitting a fighter or bomber? Clearly if the 37mm hits a bomber from a range of 1 then the damage can be extensive, however on a fighter the chances of that same range of 1 hit would be pretty slim.

Well, each gun device has accuracy, and the accuracy of the 37mm (atleast the japanese one) is quite low.
Surface combat TF fanboy
Who Cares

Post by Who Cares »

True, but if it hits, it kills (usually).
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

All I know is that my P-39's are deadly anti-bomber interceptors, especially when the Bettys show up on antishipping missions (flying down where the P-39's are normally).   Against high elevation level bombers, not so much though.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”