A new "classic eia" game

Post your contact info to find an opponent or a spot in a PBEM game here

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Ashtar

RE: A new "classic eia" game

Post by Ashtar »

A) Winter movement: YES, it is indeed a Classical EIA optional rule, not an EIANW wizardry
B) Third Party Combat: NO
C) France and GB start at war: YES
D) Options may be changed during game: YES (for practical resons only)
E) Eco Manipulation: YES
F) Fog of War (this also implies that all field, sieges and naval combat forces/tactics and results should be aired by e-mail to all players after completion): NO FOG OF WAR, that is, all battle results are public
G) Fleet PP gains/losses are 1/2 pp per fleet,
to be implemented via editor (with usual +3/-3 cap): NO, fleets are already classic
H) GAP for new bids and free predeclared wars: YES to GAP, no to predeclared wars apart from GB/France
I) Toulon 90 point gun harbour: YES
J) You can enter/cross Dardanelles straits only under the permission of the major power controlling Constantinople (unless besieged), same for Black Sea commerce (to be implemented by editor) and supply routes: YES
K) Patches policy: Only Official patches: YES
L) Leader casualty: NO (rule does not work currently)
M) Revised PP Cost for occupied Capitals: -3 Paris/London, -2 Constantinople, Vienna, Berlin, -1 Madrid, Moscow and St Petersburg.
St Petersburg occupation at ECO denies income as for Moscow occupation. To be implemented by editor: YES, this is classic EIA
N) Editor to be used when possible to fix eventual bug issues in pp/money: YES

1) Privateers: NONONONO
2) Lille crossing arrow: YES, transport have been introduced to simulate this, without transport yes to the arrow
3) France and GB first peace must be unconditional only (France must remove 3 fleets and Nelson; Gb must remove 3 french corps and Nappy): YES, possibly with detlabel interpretation
4) Restore the EIA rule for Holy Roman Empire: YES
5) Alternate Dominate Powers: IYES
6) Correction of ship builds to 10$/12m (heavy) and 8$/9m (light): there are no lights, but YES to heavy correction
7) Added VPs for prisoner release: NONONO
8) Aggravated Capital occupation (the malus in pp's for capital occupation is counted every diplo phase and not every eco phase): NO
9) Casus belli: declaring war on another major power cost 2 and not 3 whenever: called by an allied, or allied/influenced minor get attacked
this or previous turn, or denied Dardanelles passage/commerce, or denied US commerce, or targeted by privateers, or target powers
controls one of your major provinces/has right of passage on your soil. Again, to be implemented by pp editing.: NO, I like it bt it is not classic EIA
10) Lending troops/ships can be done only if NOT used to avoid battles, like lending your ships to a neutral power, stacking
with a power not at war with a nearby enemy force, borrowing your troops to a neutral to be safely transported by sea avoiding
enemy intercept [to be clear, Austria cannot lend troops to neutral Spain to be transported by sea to attack, for instance, GB controlled Malta): YES (I know classic EIA is slightly different, but here you cannot declare war to a transporting fleet)
11) Fleets that were in the blockade box just outside of a port than transfer to the port when the garrison falls may not evacuate troops during the
next naval phase. Reason: the blockade box should a separate area than the port but the game program views them the same area. This
somehow limit GB capacity to hit and run enemy ports: YES, this is classic EIA
12) Whenever a neutral minor is attacked, the controlling power cannot use that minor's forces to attack armies or fleets not belonging to the MP that declared upon that minor, until the latter is conquered or a lapse of war occurs: NO
13) As long as garrisoned depots stop enemy's corps movement, they cannot be used intentionally to "screen" forces or territories. They can be placed only if they are nearer to a supply source than at least one corp of the same nationality drawing supply from the same source (e.g. Prussian player cannot place garrisoned depots all around Berlin while his army is sitting in the prussian capital): YES
I add:
14) EIANW wrong retreat rules cannot be implemented to move a retreating forces away from depots/capital city YES
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

Here are my house rules from an existing game that I'm hosting, and comments about applicability to a classic EIA game:

OPTIONS

Winter Land Movement No
>> Sorry, I've searched the entire EIA rules and it's not in there.
Guard Commit Yes
Allow PBEM Host Yes
Allow Option Changes during the game Yes
Third Party battle resolution No
PBEM p_sswords No
Econ Manip Yes
GB/FR War Yes
>> With the actual EIA rule in play. Note that this isn't my "interpretation" it's the actual official EIA rule as it went to print.
Leader Cas No
>> I introduced this because there were some questions about the dice used in EIANW. I'm happy to play with or without it.
Privateers No
PBEM Quick No
Strait control Yes
Lille crossing arrow Yes
>> That's actually an optional rule in EIA.

HOUSE RULES (Some borrowed from elsewhere on this forum)

1) We will have a pre-game diplomacy and declarations of war phase.
>> It's in the scenario notes, not in the actual rules. Since we're playing the grand scenario this should be in. See below.

2) You cannot use a known (in Mantis) game bug to deliberate advantage against another player.
>> Additionally: No player is to be disadvantaged by a game bug. e.g. if the game unfairly makes you remove infantry instead of militia during a siege battle then the game host will refund you the $ cost of the lost infantry. Game bugs that accidentally and without other cause (i.e. not caused by a player action or deliberate inaction) advantage a player will be allowed to stand.

3) GB and FR can only have unconditional surrender; France must take 2 fleets and enforced access; Britain must take Napoleon.
>> As per the printed rules, listed earlier. Note that this applies for the entire game, unless it is clear that one of the two powers is no longer dominant. In addition, Britain and France may never be allies.

4) Dardanelles Restriction in force.
>> This implies the rule as per the printed rule set.

5) Any controlling country cannot use fleet/corps against any country NOT declaring on minor (or at war with minor) until war is lapsed or minor conquered.
>> I'm reasonably certain this isn't classic EIA, and I would not use it in a classic EIA game. The main concern is fleets, e.g. France using Swedish fleets against Britain when Russia declares on Sweden. In classic EIA Sweden doesn't have light fleets and so it's not such a problem.

5a) You can not attack a minor that you did not declare war on.
>> This is, I believe, classic EIA.

6) Cannot declare war on a minor power with intention of lapsing to give to another.
>> This isn't so necessary if we play without the minor power influence/ally rules. In EIANW it's possible, for example, for Prussia to influence Lausitz, then for Austria to DOW Lausitz, and Prussia gets control with no other power getting a roll. In classic EIA there is no influence, and Prussia would not get control if Prussia and Austria were allied. I think we should leave this rule out and see how it goes, since control would normally be given to an enemy anyway. I have seen this situation abused in classic EIA but it's a big slice of luck, and it's very rare.

7) The defender in a multi-corps battle must send his defense choice to a trusted ally.
>> This will no longer be an issue in 1.08. The defender has no way of finding out the attacker's chit.

8) ALL PATCHES INCLUDING BETAS adopted.
>> Yes, sorry, I think we need to update to 1.08 as soon as it is in beta for this game.

9) Scenario/Game Editor to be used to fix bug issues in PP, money, etc.
>> Makes sense.

--

14.7.3 EXISTING WARS AND TREATIES: Before any forces are setup, major powers may announce
pre-existing states of war. This allows major powers in effect, to declare war before the game
begins. No political points are lost for doing so. Pre-existing states of war may be announced
only between major powers. Players may wish to apply option 11.9.2. Neutral minor countries
may not be involved. No alliances are in effect and no peace conditions apply.
--
Del
Ted1066

Post by Ted1066 »

C or Del:

Who's in on this game? I sent an email and pm'd C awhile back, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If one of you can let me know if I'm in, I'll send out my option choices.

Cheers,

Ted
Cunctator

Post by Cunctator »

So far we are six:

Cunc
Delatbabel
Ted
Ashtar
Borner
Yearworld

Please send your email to the host Delatbabel.

One slot is still open.

C.
- Scutum Romae -
"Gladius et Scutum Romae" appellabantur. Hannibal se recepit, Marcellus expugnavit Syracusas, Cunctator Capuam. Postremo Quintus Fabius Maximus expugnavit Tarentum.
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

Ted, I didn't get your email.  Please send again, check the address.  del at babel dot com dot au.  del at babel dot com is a fine fellow at a publishing company in California somewhere who's sick of getting my email.  Please send me bid files from EIAGAP -- I have two so far, 5 more needed.

--
Del
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

Also, join the Yahoo group here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eia-classic1/

--
Del
Ted1066

Post by Ted1066 »

A) Winter movement

yes

B) Third Party Combat

no

C) France and GB start at war

Yes

D) Options may be changed during game

Yes - needed if something goes wrong

E) Eco Manipulation

yes

F) Fog of War (this also implies that all field, sieges and naval combat forces/tactics and results should be aired by e-mail to all players after completion)

No, no, no, no and no

G) Fleet PP gains/losses are 1/2 pp per fleet, to be implemented via editor (with usual +3/-3 cap)

Not needed, so no

H) GAP for new bids and free predeclared wars

I'd rather not - unless we do a two pass system where first we get to determine what nation we are playing, THEN whether we want to start at war

I) Toulon 90 point gun harbour

Not needed, so no

J) You can enter/cross Dardanelles straits only under the permission of the major power controlling Constantinople (unless besieged), same for Black Sea commerce (to be implemented by editor) and supply routes

No, if for no other reason than it makes working within EIANW that much easier. I like the idea of using this rule, but managing it will be a pain in the butt for the host

K) Patches policy: Only Official patches

Yes!

L) Leader casualty

Yes, though maybe not initially. There are apparently issues with the casualty code right now that are fixed in 1.08

M) Revised PP Cost for occupied Capitals: -3 Paris/London, -2 Constantinople, Vienna, Berlin, -1 Madrid, Moscow and St Petersburg. St Petersburg occupation at ECO denies income as for Moscow occupation. To be implemented by editor.

Not needed, so no. Plus, I believe that to deny Russia income BOTH Moscow and St. Petersburg have to be occupied, not just one. They still suffer the PP loss if either are occupied, though, and the income MP for that province is also lost.

N) Editor to be used when possible to fix eventual bug issues in pp/money

Yes

1) Privateers

No - can't use these anyhow as there are no light ships

2) Lille crossing arrow

Yes

3) France and GB first peace must be unconditional only (France must remove 3 fleets and Nelson; Gb must remove 3 french corps and Nappy)

No, I want the adoption of this rule as per the game manual - Del has already mentioned what those rules are, as I can't remember right now

4) Restore the EIA rule for Holy Roman Empire

Yes

5) Alternate Dominate Powers

No, as much as I would like this, it is not possible to implement this within the current construct of the game

6) Correction of ship builds to 10$/12m (heavy) and 8$/9m (light)

Yes, I would like ships to be priced at $12/1MP, as per original EiA

7) Added VPs for prisoner release

Ditch this rule entirely - No PPs, nothing. Prisoners are only repatriated at the conclusion of the war.

8) Aggravated Capital occupation (the malus in pp's for capital occupation is counted every diplo phase and not every eco phase)

No

9) Casus belli: declaring war on another major power cost 2 and not 3 whenever: called by an allied, or allied/influenced minor get attacked this or previous turn, or denied Dardanelles passage/commerce, or denied US commerce, or targeted by privateers, or target powers controls one of your major provinces/has right of passage on your soil. Again, to be implemented by pp editing.

No

10) Lending troops/ships can be done only if NOT used to avoid battles, like lending your ships to a neutral power, stacking with a power not at war with a nearby enemy force, borrowing your troops to a neutral to be safely transported by sea avoiding enemy intercept [to be clear, Austria cannot lend troops to neutral Spain to be transported by sea to attack, for instance, GB controlled Malta)

Yes, this is necessary. EiA allowed for the DoW of a nation ferrying or harbouring enemy combatants, while EIANW does not allow this effectively.

11) Fleets that were in the blockade box just outside of a port than transfer to the port when the garrison falls may not evacuate troops during the next naval phase. Reason: the blockade box should a separate area than the port but the game program views them the same area. This somehow limit GB capacity to hit and run enemy ports.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in EiA the owner of the port can freely move between the BB and the port itself (including during the land phase if the port is captured), which would allow the troops to be evacuated the following month. If this is the case, then I vote against this rule. Otherwise, I will vote in favour of it.

12) Whenever a neutral minor is attacked, the controlling power cannot use that minor's forces to attack armies or fleets not belonging to the MP that declared upon that minor, until the latter is conquered or a lapse of war occurs.

No - there is nothing in the original EiA rules that limit the use of a minors forces. If France is lucky enough to get control of a Sweden DoW'd by Russia, then GB better prepare for it.

13) As long as garrisoned depots stop enemy's corps movement, they cannot be used intentionally to "screen" forces or territories. They can be placed only if they are nearer to a supply source than at least one corp of the same nationality drawing supply from the same source (e.g. Prussian player cannot place garrisoned depots all around Berlin while his army is sitting in the prussian capital)

I am willing to go along with this rule, with a big HOWEVER. If the player placing the depots can justify their placement (beyond "I'm protecting my capital" rhetoric), then this needs to be allowed. We as players ultimately have to make the sportsmanlike call when it comes to this.

OK, that's my votes on the options picks, I've requested to join the yahoo group and Del now has my email. WOOT!

Cheers,

Ted
borner

Post by borner »

I will get my bid to Del tonight when I do my other turns..
Yearworld

Post by Yearworld »

One houserule I like to use is:

No "Monster" Stacks. Which means a leader can't go over twice his Tactical Maximum rating. For example Napoleon with a 6 Tac Max rating can't have more than 12 Corps in a battle.
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

ORIGINAL: Yearworld

One houserule I like to use is:

No "Monster" Stacks. Which means a leader can't go over twice his Tactical Maximum rating. For example Napoleon with a 6 Tac Max rating can't have more than 12 Corps in a battle.

Like a lot of similar rules (limit on corps supplied by a depot, etc) this advantages France too much, because France is the nation with better leaders and larger corps. Therefore I wouldn't like to use this rule unless I'm playing France. :)

However in any case it's not classic EIA.
--
Del
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

So far we have 6 players, of whom 4 have joined the Yahoo group and 5 have sent me bids.

So there is still some room available.  Please email me if interested or just join the group ... http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eia-classic1/
--
Del

Return to “Opponents Wanted”