THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pasternakski

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Kinda pathetic that he said "sorry if this sounds anti-semitic". It didn't "sound" like it, it WAS.

Not kinda. It was absolutely pathetic. And down right sickening! [:@]
Agreed, Steve, but you know what keeps happening over there (it seems to have dried up here, but you still get some of it)? Some enterprising troll intentionally plants a provocative thread ("Are you still beating your wife?"), then sits back and watches the long parade of hamsterheaded punks with faces full of piercings, butts covered with tattoos and minds made of grape jelly wander through making the most preposterously ignorant statements.

A few well-meaning citizens try to keep things civil, but they might as well be called Walt and drive a Gran Torino for all the good they do. Eventually, Erik finds out somehow or other, and the thread is locked.

Self-defeating, say I. They all know they've got free rein for a time to indulge in "I think" and "I believe" fantasies without any real chance for penalty. If there were any real law enforcement on these forums, the problem would vanish quickly.

So, are ya feelin' lucky, punk? (Did I mention that the "green button" solves nothing?)
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Just dropped in on the who started the First World War thread [X(][X(][X(][X(]

I've PM'ed and emailed Erik Rutkin. He's online so he should see it fairly quickly. [:(]

Looks like he did. I think he went too soft on a blatantly inflammatory statement like that. I would have booted him for 2 weeks as a "warning". Personally, I dont care what beliefs the little sh!t has. But you should know that if you start flinging it in public, there are repercussions based of established codes of human conduct, completely outside of any forum's policy.

That's his priviledge. Personally I don't think the offense one commits should be balanced with ones post count. "Well , you committed murder , but since it's your 1st one, we will let you off with a warning!". Sorry , I'm very old school. [:(]
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

ORIGINAL: sprior

The real cause of WW1:

Baldrick: No, the thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?
Edmund: Do you mean "How did the war start?"
Baldrick: Yeah.
George: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire- building.
Edmund: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.
George: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. (aside, to Baldick) Mad as a bicycle!
Baldrick: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
Edmund: I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot.
Baldrick: Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved, sir.
Edmund: Well, possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing was that it was too much effort *not* to have a war.
George: By God this is interesting; I always loved history -- The Battle of Hastings, Henry VIII and his six knives, all that.
Edmund: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.
Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?
Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.
George: What was that, sir?
Edmund: It was bollocks.
[:D]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Just dropped in on the who started the First World War thread [X(][X(][X(][X(]

You didn't seriously need to do so, did you? Wasn't one look at the idiotic title enough?

In his defense, it did start off as an interesting discussion. Whose fault is it that its impossible to have a serious, academic discussion on any topic more involved than beer for fear that it will attract the sewer dwellers? [:(]

Yeah , how dare we try and have a intelligent conversation? He's obviously a %$#*&^% Victim of society! [:(]
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

G'night gents [>:][>:][>:]
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

O, looky me, a new page. If I was Yuri, I'd probably go all sticky wet.
And I carry on anyhow.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

And he was also too cowardly to own up to being a Nazi. He believes the Jews started WWI, and he believes the "Stab in the Back" myth. Two firm pillars of Nazi ideology. That, along with the aforementioned cowardice, is three strikes and you're out, Adolf.

I'm shocked that anyone post 1945 is stupid enough to think of the "stab in the back" as anything other than what it was. Hell, some of the alien conspiracy theories are better grounded than that.

Ignorant Yuri , the word is IGNORANT! And lots of people are , some by their own choice! Even some societies! (You know who you are---Mr. I'm-a-dinner-jacket!). OK, That' my political rant. Time to go back to the "home" and take my meds. [:(]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You didn't seriously need to do so, did you? Wasn't one look at the idiotic title enough?

In his defense, it did start off as an interesting discussion. Whose fault is it that its impossible to have a serious, academic discussion on any topic more involved than beer for fear that it will attract the sewer dwellers? [:(]
I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows that American microbrews are the best in the world. Full stop.

[:'(]

Maybe. But most of those micro-brews do owe a tip of the hat to the British "real ale" movement in the early 1980's. [&o]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows that American microbrews are the best in the world. Full stop.

I don't know what is microbrews, but i know what is brew: it's the beer !
And from anywhere, a beer is always welcome [:)];
good evening gentlemens

I'd be delighted to introduce you to them Eric. All you need do is visit! [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

More like a screeching halt. I simply cannot discuss such a valuable topic with someone devoid of tastebuds. [:'(]

Say's the man who drinks that Russian abomination. What's your favoite in the 1-6? #2? [:D]
sprior

Post by sprior »

And don't forget to swing by our most excellent and informative AAR before returning to the real world.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Yeah , how dare we try and have a intelligent conversation?
But, dude, as one old Vietnam expression to another, somebody's got to start monitoring the subject line of new threads and immediately toss the irrelevant ones and the ones obviously intended to cause trouble.

Now, let's get back to those tremendously enlightening conversations that always come up on the Thread and forget about the dinky-dow.

Good to see more posts here. It was kinda threadbare there for a few days, if you catch my drift...
And I carry on anyhow.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Bah! It's not that they're the best. It's the fact that most American beer is terrible, so the microbrews seem like the best beer in the world [:'(]

Not that I care, I don't drink. And when I did it was either rum or cider [;)]

Cider? The drink of choice of the butter-cross (market cross) bunch? [X(] Martin , say it ain't so! [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Bah! It's not that they're the best. It's the fact that most American beer is terrible, so the microbrews seem like the best beer in the world [:'(]

What do brits think of Newcastle, Dix?

The home of the Geordies? Or the brown ale? [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

What do brits think of Newcastle, Dix?

Newcastle? As in the city of the Brown? If it's the city, then it's full of people who have strange accents. If it's the Newcastle Brown, I'd say it's got a smallish, but dedicated (almost cult) following.

It's a town of people with Extremely strange accents. Most Brits don't ubderstand them , let alone the rest of us! [:D]
sprior

Post by sprior »

Cider?

The cider here is different to your pansy stuff. Proper cider still has the pips in it. My mum used to buy it fortified with brandy in big gallon flasks in Devon. That stuff was good.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

G'nights gents [>:]

That phrase, coupled with your avatar, gives it a slightly different feel. Up, up, and away. [:D]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I'm very old school. [:(]
Oh, I don't know, Steve, your chiseling tools seem quite up to date, and you seem always to use only the freshly quarried stone for your pronouncements.

Now, what was that 11th commandment gonna be, again?
And I carry on anyhow.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

What would you suggest thats widely available in the states?

Try Boddingtons. Some of the bigger alcohol stores carry London Pride too. Or Spitfire.

Never seen any of those. There is a liquor store that carries my favorite beer (Optimator) by my friend's house. But its a pain to get there. I'll take a look next time I'm there.
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

The six daughters of the family were known collectively as the Mitford sisters. Nancy and Jessica became well-known writers and Deborah managed one of the most successful stately homes in England. Jessica and Deborah both married nephews-by-marriage of prime ministers Winston Churchill and Harold Macmillan, respectively. Deborah and Diana married wealthy aristocrats. Unity and Diana were well known during the 1930s for being close to Adolf Hitler

What would you suggest thats widely available in the states?

[:D]

Return to “The War Room”