Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

elmo3

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Is there (or will there be) a Replay function that would show the entire war unfolding, without FoW?

Don't know about that. It's too soon to tell.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: doktor

Brilliant AAR Elmo, I particularly am enjoying the travails of AGC. 

Glad you like it. It's fun for me too.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

One reason the Soviets broke through the AGC lines was due to a complete lack of reserves on my part.  Up until now the AI has not been attacking other than counter attacks with it's reserves.  Now that Gary has added some aggressiveness to it the Axis will have to think about putting some units into reserve status behind the lines to help counter their attacks.  That and trying to cover too much ground by spreading out regiments to cover the quiet sectors is going to be much more risky.

WitE alpha/beta tester
jaw

Post by jaw »

Could you please post the current Order of Battle screen so people can see the relative Axis and Soviet strength in total? This screen will give everyone some idea of how strong the Russian winter counteroffensive will be.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Here 'tis.  I should probably post this each turn:

WitE alpha/beta tester
Balou

Post by Balou »

elmo,

Do you have the impression the AI pursues an attack for a couple of turns ? Would require some planning ahead and I'd like to know how much brains the AI has to do so. I just wonder about the priorities of the AI when it attacked AGC near Moscow.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Balou

elmo,

Do you have the impression the AI pursues an attack for a couple of turns ? Would require some planning ahead and I'd like to know how much brains the AI has to do so. I just wonder about the priorities of the AI when it attacked AGC near Moscow.

No idea at this point since this is new code. I know Gary does not want the AI overextending and leaving itself open to major encirclements so these attacks with probably be limited and local. But we'll see...

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

10/16/41 (turn 18)  On the AGN front Kolpino fell to our determined assault so we are almost ready to begin the attack on Leningrad.  In theory we could clear the hex east of Kolpino and then attack Pavlovo to the east of Leningrad to give ourselves three hexes for our attack on Leningrad. I'll give that some more thought. There should be time before the bad weather sets in but it may not be necessary. We're clearing some Soviets to the south to straighten our lines.

WitE alpha/beta tester
The SNAFU

Post by The SNAFU »

Elmo

I have been lurking in the WITE forum for sometime now and your wonderful AAR has convinced me to register. For me and obviously many others, this game is one of the most exciting projects in years. An Eastern Front game at this scale and of this quality is long overdue.

Thank you for investing so much of your time working on the game and sharing your test drive with all of us.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: The SNAFU

Elmo

Thank you for investing so much of your time working on the game and sharing your test drive with all of us.

Welcome to the forums as a poster and glad you are liking what you see of the game.

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

10/16/41 (turn 18)  The situation for AGC is a lot less clear than AGN.  As you can see in the screen shot we have to be careful how aggressive we let the Soviet AI play.  It might turn out to be too easy to pocket troops if they push too hard.  I almost completed the encirclement of their northern thrust into my lines.  As it is they will have to withdraw through a 10 mile corridor and many of their forces won't have enough MP's to escape.

Something else I should mention is that Ice comes into play as the weather stays cold.  Right now zones 3 and 4 have an Ice level of 1.  Levels 1 through 4 slow movement.  At level 5 rivers and impassable river/lake hex sides will freeze.  At that point they have no effect on movement or combat.  So river line defenses mean nothing after level 5 is reached.

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

10/16/41 (turn 18)  Things are going well for AGS.  We have reached or passed the Ingul River except for down near Nikolaev.  That should fall soon and then we'll need to decide whether to stop or press on.  I'm inclined to stop to keep a nice straight front.

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Losses through 10/16/41 (turn 18):

I'll review the situation for the start of turn 19 and see if there is anything worth posting before my moves.  Will post the OOB as a minimum.

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OOB at the start of 10/23/41 (turn 19):

Zones 1 and 2 are Clear for this week but zones 3 and 4 are Mud.

WitE alpha/beta tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Two minor trouble spots from the Soviet part of turn 18.

In the first shot we have been pushed back to Pskov and will have to reinforce this area so as not to lose the rail line running through the city.  Hopefully this will not slow the Leningrad operation.

In the second shot you can see the Rumanians and Italians were pushed back near Kirovograd.  Not a crisis and in fact it may give us a chance for a pocket, but it's a potent of things to come regarding the Axis allies.

WitE alpha/beta tester
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

what are those funny symbols?
"Tanks forward"
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

what are those funny symbols?

If you mean the tanks inside the circles they show hexes where the Soviets attacked in the previous turn so you can review battle results in your turn as the Axis. You toggle them on and off with F11.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Crocky

Post by Crocky »

Great work Elmo keep it up my first task when i get to work in the mornibng is to check for updates [:)]
Mike Blair CROCKY
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

ok.. threw me on that one
"Tanks forward"
Captain B

Post by Captain B »

Elmo,

So, have you almost completed their encirclement, or have they almost encircled you...you both have a single hex to withdraw from, so I guess the mechanics are who encircles whom first? Great job again...I have read every new posting now for the past few months and will say that I save yours for last and wait with baited breath to see the trials and tribulations of OKH.

Counter attacks are fun aren't they.

Rock of the Marne....
There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

Return to “After Action Reports”