Question for Lovers of Apple

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Question for Lovers of Apple

Post by JudgeDredd »

Does anyone have any ideas how Apple and iTunes works?

I'm a programmer and I cannot see the benefits of this crap piece of software...unfortunately, I have a daughter who is caught up in the "apple" world and swears by the pieces of crap. Whilst I have many a beef with Apply and their products, pricing and DRM - I won't bore you with it here - but I need to ask some things please, for anyone who is knowledgable in the art of Apple and the minefield it is...

My daughter has an iPod Touch. Now before she bought the iPod Touch, I told her I would NOT be creating an account on iTunes. However - it appears that an account has to be created on iTunes. As far as I was aware, you had to enter credit card details on iTunes to create an account. Is this correct? If so, why are Apply cutting off so much of their market (children) be requiring a credit card to create an account? Can she create the account without a credit card?

If she can create an account - is she able to buy apps and songs/videos without the use of my credit card - I do hope so, otherwise she's going to have the most underused, expensive brick known - I told her I WOULD NOT be giving Apply my credit card details and that's it - so if any of you cool geezers out there can shed some light on this so she can buy apps/music/videos with her own money, then she would be over the moon.

I *&£$%^" hate Apple!![:@]
Alba gu' brath
warspite1

RE: Question for Lovers of Apple

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Does anyone have any ideas how Apple and iTunes works?

I'm a programmer and I cannot see the benefits of this crap piece of software...unfortunately, I have a daughter who is caught up in the "apple" world and swears by the pieces of crap. Whilst I have many a beef with Apply and their products, pricing and DRM - I won't bore you with it here - but I need to ask some things please, for anyone who is knowledgable in the art of Apple and the minefield it is...

My daughter has an iPod Touch. Now before she bought the iPod Touch, I told her I would NOT be creating an account on iTunes. However - it appears that an account has to be created on iTunes. As far as I was aware, you had to enter credit card details on iTunes to create an account. Is this correct? If so, why are Apply cutting off so much of their market (children) be requiring a credit card to create an account? Can she create the account without a credit card?

If she can create an account - is she able to buy apps and songs/videos without the use of my credit card - I do hope so, otherwise she's going to have the most underused, expensive brick known - I told her I WOULD NOT be giving Apply my credit card details and that's it - so if any of you cool geezers out there can shed some light on this so she can buy apps/music/videos with her own money, then she would be over the moon.

I *&£$%^" hate Apple!![:@]
Warspite1

Goodness!

I don`t think you need a credit card e.g. if someone buys your daughter an i-tunes gift card you can load onto the account and download until the credit is exhausted.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well I've just went through iTunes to create an account for her, and it's asking for credit card details...this through the iTunes Store...any other ideas?
Alba gu' brath
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I've just went through iTunes to create an account for her, and it's asking for credit card details...this through the iTunes Store...any other ideas?
Warspite1

Sorry some years since I opened my account. But if you need it just to open the account then why not? So long as you tell your daughter that she cannot download anything unless she uses credit stored - via a gift card or whatever - then surely no problem?

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Becaue I don't want to give those B%$"£!^S the satisfaction of having my credit card details.

It's not about trusting my daughter...it's about Apple! Seriously, there are fewer companies I hate more. I would gladly do time for helping in some way to topple Apple.

Seems like she has an expensive brick then...unless she can get my wife to do it...I'm not and I told her I wouldn't.

thx anyway.
Alba gu' brath
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Becaue I don't want to give those B%$"£!^S the satisfaction of having my credit card details.

It's not about trusting my daughter...it's about Apple! Seriously, there are fewer companies I hate more. I would gladly do time for helping in some way to topple Apple.

Seems like she has an expensive brick then...unless she can get my wife to do it...I'm not and I told her I wouldn't.

thx anyway.
Warspite1

JudgeDredd - sorry you are sitting on the fence here and you are not getting across the point you are trying to make. So how do you feel about Apple? [;)]

P.S if you don`t mind me asking, what is the badge on your Avatar?

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Get her a prepaid CC for the brick. That way you won't have to give them YOUR cc details, plus your daughter can't get on some wild shopping spree. [:D]
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
hermanhum

Question

Post by hermanhum »

I can understand the sentiment. Have you tried to get a new credit card? Before the crash, it was pretty easy to get a new credit card in N. Am. since the card companies were always sending out all kinds of junk mail applications.

Why no get one of those cards (for free), sign your daughter up on Apple with it, then just cancel the card?
Attachments
picard-no-facepalm.gif
picard-no-facepalm.gif (61.8 KiB) Viewed 42 times
facepalm1.gif
facepalm1.gif (58.7 KiB) Viewed 42 times
Epic failure.gif
Epic failure.gif (110.15 KiB) Viewed 44 times
htuna

RE: Question

Post by htuna »

Love my Itouch.. hate Itunes and the Apple Mentality.... I bought an ITunes gift card, so that I wouldn't have to enter a Credit Card.. just go get the cheapest one and use that....

I don't buy any music from them, because I want to play the music I buy on any Computer or any Audio Device.. so I buy most of my digital music from Amazon.. all DRM free...

Again, I love my Itouch, it is a very nice player.. but Hate Itunes with a passion.. more than some people here hate Steam!!! [;)]
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

Get her a prepaid CC for the brick. That way you won't have to give them YOUR cc details, plus your daughter can't get on some wild shopping spree. [:D]

Bang on with this idea! Judge, it does ask for a credit card (I tried it out once) but it never charges anything to it. I would do as GoodGuy said and just get a prepaid card to enroll. After that use gift card to make purchases.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ok - calmed down. Sorry, but I really, really do hate Apple and their attitude.

Anyway - turns out, you can register using the iPod Touch and select NONE as the payment method - then you can download free apps and use gift cards as the method.

I know for a fact I could've put my credit card details in - I trust my daughter implicitly. BUT - I just didn't ant to give those swines the satisfaction of making me put my card details in. It's bad enough that I've had to infect my laptop with their crap DRM ridden POS iTunes software!

Anyway, thanks for listening to my wee rant. I feel better - hope you lot do too [:D]
Alba gu' brath
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I almost didn't recognize you without your avatar JD.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Aint no way I will ever allow iTunes or even Steam onto my computers. Not ever. My daughter has iTunes on her laptop. Got friends who love the things, but I am with JD, anything I can do to get rid of Apple I will do.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

What is with you guys and apple?

I think Apple is actually good because otherwise Microsoft would have a COMPLETE monopoly on everything.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
What is with you guys and apple?
Their attitude. They do what they want, when they want and charge as much as they like. Their products rarely come down in price until THEY release a new product. The DRM crap they have.

Their software iTunes is complete sh!te. You can only link it to one PC? Are you kidding me? People actually BUY INTO this stuff? I mean, I have an mp3 player and I can connect it to my laptop and put tunes on it. I can then connect it to my PC and put tunes on it. I can even connect it to a friends PC (without having to infect it with a bloatware virus product) and get songs from his PC or rip tunes from my CD on his computer. And when my MP3 player goes wrong, - guess what - I can go and buy another MP3 player. It doesn't have to be by the same manufacturer - any old one will do!! Now there's a novel idea.

Why in Gods name anyone feels the need to defend that company is beyond me.

And I don't get your logic on how Apple affects Microsofts position in the PC world in any way, shape or form. How exactly does the existence of Apply stop Microsoft having a monopoly? Apple have 0 effect on the PC world??

Apple charge as much as they want for as long as they want for their products and no other company or product has an affect on that - and you know why? Because their heads are shoved right up their own arses!

Sorry V22 - you lost me at "hello" [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

I downright detest Apple and their business practices too.

It's difficult understanding people who tolerate or even love them.  It's more like a cult.  [8|]
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

I would love an I-pad to play with but will be waiting for other products to come along because of all of the above......[&:]
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

All I know is that I have an iPod with stuff I bought using iTunes on my old computer and an iPhone with stuff I've bought using iTunes on my current computer.

iTunes will NOT let me transfer my iPod's downloads to my iPhone because the iPod's contents cannot be added separately to a new iTunes library! It won't even let me transfer my CD's that I've loaded to the iPod!

(Also in Australia, you can't buy ringtones for the iPhone or make them using iTunes from a CD. They're banned! You have to go through a whole software process I found on the net to rip a CD into a readable format that tricks iTunes first. If I lived in the US, no problems <shrug> ).

Sure, if I connect my iPod and iPhone to iTunes now on my current PC I can manipulate either fully. They each have their own iTunes libraries. iTunes will just not allow them to communicate or share content. I've checked high and low on the net for an answer. It's a crazy anti-piracy/anti-theft measure it seems.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

We have 3 apple ipod/walkman devices plus 3 other mp3/4 devices in this home.

We don't have an itunes account.

We get our music from anywhere else but itunes including ripping my Cd collection and digitally converting my LP and singles collection (I'm old), we can swap/transfer/play/ on any of the devices we want to with out any restriction.

The only annoyance is that the apple devices need the itunes software (which is quite cumbersome and slow) to load the music... all the other devices can be loaded up with simple drag and drop.
ImageImage
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I have been considering getting a iPad to act as a photo album.
&nbsp;
I have no interest in music.
&nbsp;
I have learnt I will need a iTunes account!
&nbsp;
If iTunes is a DRM like Steam then no thank you!
&nbsp;
-
&nbsp;

Return to “General Discussion”