Jon's 42 Posts

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

PyleDriver

Jon's 42 Posts

Post by PyleDriver »

This may take some time, my wife has a honey-do list for me this week...lol...This ss is the 42 start. Why in the world would you go south when you have this mess up north. Yellow points to the problem areas, the other colors is where I plan to force the battle. I have the power now and will move with it...

Attachments
M1.jpg
M1.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
wiking62

RE: Jon's 42 Posts

Post by wiking62 »

Looking forward to this. Let's hope your wife does not keep you too busy this week!
[;)]

PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Ok, the area around the Moscow front takes a while to clean up. The OKH plan calls for a punch in the center and roll the line north. 1st and 4th PzA's have done that in 2 weeks...The punch that is...I will say this game is already played, I now the results...lol...

Attachments
M2center.jpg
M2center.jpg (156.71 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Before you ask, I'm in the "E" hotkey mode on the ss's. It shows what you had and what youv'e taken. Cool huh...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Before you ask, I'm in the "E" hotkey mode on the ss's. It shows what you had and what youv'e taken. Cool huh...

That's a useful mode to have, especially for AAR's.
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

One more thing I will add is breakdowns of units. No they don't breakdown, you take a division and make 3 regiments. It is such a plus to use it correctly. There are pros and cons here. A regiment or brigade has a zone of control but won't excert one. So if you look close, you will see that...So how far do I take my division and breakdown to regiments?. Ah the game goes on...We can't have those nasty little holes where T-34's pop in can we...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

How many men/divisions and how much equipment did you lose in the first winter?
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

I was hoping that you could breakdown units into regiments. I currently own all but one of the HPS Panzer Campaign titles (sorry to mention a competitors games) and in many of the Eastern front titles this is the only way the Axis player can hold a cohesive frontline.

I understand from elmo in his AAR that divisions do not exert a zone of control in what i would term the "normal" way. Exactly how do ZOC's work in this game?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Well comrade, this is the 42 game. It starts historical...So from here we just see what we can make happen...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

I was hoping that you could breakdown units into regiments. I currently own all but one of the HPS Panzer Campaign titles (sorry to mention a competitors games) and in many of the Eastern front titles this is the only way the Axis player can hold a cohesive frontline.

In PzC, battalions are the only way to hold a frontline, but considering the difference in scale, we'll have to use regiments in WitE.

Judging by some of the comments in other threads, it seems we'll also still be putting units in hexes just to make sure the enemy has to fight to move in. It will be an enjoyable Eastern Front experience.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Hart, btw whats your name? I hate handles...Anyway divisions do excert ZOC's the same. Where it differs is where 2 opponents have the same zone. Makes sence, you didn't take it yet...Now what Gary and Joel came up with, which at first I didn't like, but have grown to love is a unit can't be surrounded and surrender the same move...So it makes you secure a pocket then destroy it the next turn...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

In PzC, battalions are the only way to hold a frontline, but considering the difference in scale, we'll have to use regiments in WitE.

Judging by some of the comments in other threads, it seems we'll also still be putting units in hexes just to make sure the enemy has to fight to move in. It will be an enjoyable Eastern Front experience.

It certainly will be an enjoyable experience.

I would love to see this carried over to the Invasion of Normandy and beyond. My all time favourite board game is Avalon Hills - The Longest Day (which i still own). PzC Normandy is the closest computer version i have found so far, but i believe this game engine would definately suite the campaign from the Normandy landings through to the end of the war in the West.

Getting carried away now. Lets get this game finished first!
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Look at our other posts hart, there has been talks...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Well its been a month in hard fighting, but the salient is being pushed back...I like to show the hole picture so you see the date and turn...Opp's thats the center...

Attachments
m4central.jpg
m4central.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

I've asked this before in a different thread, but never received an answer:

Is the distance a unit routs limited in any way?

And what are the game mechanics for recovering from a routed state, morale, proximity to HQ etc.?

(Woohoo - 50 posts. It's only taken me four years!)
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Routed units go to the nearst town, or HQ. Recovering is based on moral and the commanders leadership....I was about to post this on the other thread...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Routed units go to the nearst town, or HQ. Recovering is based on moral and the commanders leadership....I was about to post this on the other thread...

Thanks for the answer.
[;)]
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

OK, I thought you played from June 22 to the starting point of the AAR PyleDriver. I'm guessing a mid-1942 start will more or less force you to go on the historical push in the south because most of the quality forces will be there/depending on the starting date Fall Blau has already started through Fredericus?
I would love to see this carried over to the Invasion of Normandy and beyond. My all time favourite board game is Avalon Hills - The Longest Day (which i still own). PzC Normandy is the closest computer version i have found so far, but i believe this game engine would definately suite the campaign from the Normandy landings through to the end of the war in the West.

I have read a lot of AAR's and the like of the PzC series, but don't actually own any HPS title, I might be missing out on a good deal of fun.

As for Normandy: I like SSG's Battles in Normandy. If you download a full (custom)campaign like On to Paris and can get used to 4 unit divisions, with most of the support abstracted, or can wait until someone updates the Normandy scenario to the latest engine (Kharkov:DotD and soon Across the Dnepr 2), it's a blast.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
wiking62

Post by wiking62 »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

OK, I thought you played from June 22 to the starting point of the AAR PyleDriver. I'm guessing a mid-1942 start will more or less force you to go on the historical push in the south because most of the quality forces will be there/depending on the starting date Fall Blau has already started through Fredericus?

I have read a lot of AAR's and the like of the PzC series, but don't actually own any HPS title, I might be missing out on a good deal of fun.

As for Normandy: I like SSG's Battles in Normandy. If you download a full (custom)campaign like On to Paris and can get used to 4 unit divisions, with most of the support abstracted, or can wait until someone updates the Normandy scenario to the latest engine (Kharkov:DotD and soon Across the Dnepr 2), it's a blast.

I bought Korsun Pocket and Battles in Normandy and i really disliked both titles. I just think that four unit divisions are far too simplistic. I had really high hopes for Battles in Normandy, but was sadly disappointed. I find the HPS titles to be more akin to the good old board wargames which i still enjoy playing even now. I for one can really recommend the HPS titles.

I guess we ought to have this conversation elsewhere as we are detracting from Jon's AAR.
[;)]
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

does the game as is have soem flexibility in on map deployment for either in 42 start?

"Tanks forward"

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”