Widescreen switch problem

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Reg

RE: Widescreen switch problem

Post by Reg »

I haven't seen any complaints on the forum about wide screen from people running XP. (It worked just fine first time on my XP laptop running an external 24" monitor).

This appears to be an operating system/driver thing....
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
WLockard

Post by WLockard »

I have noticed that on full screen I have some problems with the screen not refreshing when making mouseovers. It does not happen in windowed mode. In full screen the screen will refresh if you scroll the screen a bit. I am running XP sith sp3, a Nvidia 8800 GTX and the 195.62 driver set from 11/09. k What I haven't tried yet is different command line switch settings to see if they affect the problem.
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: Reg

I haven't seen any complaints on the forum about wide screen from people running XP. (It worked just fine first time on my XP laptop running an external 24" monitor).

This appears to be an operating system/driver thing....

There have been failures and successes with XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Definitely not an operating system issue. However. some users have found that getting the latest drivers for their video cards solved the problem. For those who are still having problems I would just patiently wait for the official patch 3.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
WLockard

Post by WLockard »

In regards to my post above, I found that by not using the -dd_sw switch in full screen mode fixed my graphics glitches.
Marc

Post by Marc »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: Marc
So my proposal for the developers is to add a switch/parameter to force the resolution change. (example: -px1400 -py0900 -f)
This should help at least when I understood the problem correctly.

We already have fix that works - are you suggesting that we shelf our solution and try yours instead? [:D]

I just tried the new official patch with my Win7 64-bit machine. There is some progress but it is still not working as I would expect.
I have a 1680*1050 Display. If I set the game to -px1680 -py1050 and fullscreen it works. If I set the game to -px1440 -py900 (or 0900) it doesn't. But it does work (1440*900) if I change the resolution in Windows to 1440*900.
The same goes for the "Window Mode". Only the set Windows resolution is working.

Now back to my "force-switch" proposal [;)]
Sorry, but I couldn't resist. [8|]
IJN Chokai
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Well you would have to tell us how your "force" proposal works!.

In the mean time - we realize the screen parameters will not work for everyone - and obivously we cannot test every combination - not even close - we only have about 30 people with about 45 machines. There are many combinations we do not have. As per the documentation - if using the parameters is causing problems - then the best solution is to remove them.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Marc

Post by Marc »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Well you would have to tell us how your "force" proposal works!.

In the mean time - we realize the screen parameters will not work for everyone - and obivously we cannot test every combination - not even close - we only have about 30 people with about 45 machines. There are many combinations we do not have. As per the documentation - if using the parameters is causing problems - then the best solution is to remove them.

Is there anything I can do to help you make this work on my machine too?
I hope you did not misunderstand me. I don't know how it works. I just thought it could perhaps be possible to force the settings because I understood that AE does check which resolutions the machine supports and only accepts these settings. [&:]
Anyway thank you for your work in the past and future. [&o]

The last escape would be to go back to XP. Not that there are many advantages of Win 7 as far as I am concerned.
IJN Chokai
A Oskin

Post by A Oskin »

Just for the record. I'm running a HP wide screen laptop with XP and an ATI Radeon card and nothing works.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Someone mentioned about creating a new shortcut earlier.
It is what I did to make widescreen work.

Go to AE main directory.
Right Click on the main .exe and create shortcut.
Right click the shortcut, select properties and put in the commands.

None of the start menu and original desktop shortcuts work with the commands.  Hope it works for you guys as well.

Return to “Tech Support”