Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Baleur

RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.

Post by Baleur »

They look better than in any other space 4x game i can think of to be honest. Give that artist a raise! (if the game sells well)
I wish all indie games had this good artwork =)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Do the race portraits move ala CIV4 or are they static?
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

I would also like that players have wide varieties of choices for sealing with populatio on planets, colonies, newly conquered planets... genocidal, less genocidal, mind control, hearts and minds... we should have a choice! Leaders of space civilizations have and will have all those choices, and it is up to player to build reputation of his empire. It woul'd be a good thing to postpone release of DW to implement those features... and a few more of those excellent races (it is really refreshing that most of them are not humanoid). And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

@Elliot: thanks for your reply, but how would a player behave that is very cautious, but at the same time very aggressive? Seems contradictionary to me.
Duckfang

Post by Duckfang »

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

@Elliot: thanks for your reply, but how would a player behave that is very cautious, but at the same time very aggressive? Seems contradictionary to me.

My guess would be they're quite willing to use violence to enforce their will, but only when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour? Like a playground bully, I suppose.
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?

You can create your own races. Hopefully there is some way to import pictures/art for custom races and for custom ship graphics............. like space empires 4 and 5.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

We don't know.. they aren't in our copy. Elliot will tell you.
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

I would also like that players have wide varieties of choices for sealing with populatio on planets, colonies, newly conquered planets... genocidal, less genocidal, mind control, hearts and minds... we should have a choice! Leaders of space civilizations have and will have all those choices, and it is up to player to build reputation of his empire. It woul'd be a good thing to postpone release of DW to implement those features... and a few more of those excellent races (it is really refreshing that most of them are not humanoid). And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?

Aside from heads and upper torsos we don't know what the alien body styles are. Though, from creative guessing, it appears that the 4 known races ARE humanoid. If by humanoid, you agree with my understanding as meaning a head, up-right torso, two arms, and two legs. But, if you are used to Star Trek aliens or other similiar popular culture science fiction then , yeah, you might understand "humanoid" to mean a face and biology/DNA similiar to Humans.
Maybe I should use "bi-pedal" instead of "humanoid"; but that might be misundertood by some also.

I am still hoping for some variety in the body shapes other than just humanoid.

Even if they could include them, I would dislike classic or popular culture aliens races in a new setting game. Uhg.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Race portraits are still images only - time and resources don't allow more than that I'm afraid.

But on the bright side, that makes them pretty easy to mod and add your own [:)]
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Duckfang
ORIGINAL: Gertjan
My guess would be they're quite willing to use violence to enforce their will, but only when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour? Like a playground bully, I suppose.
Yeah, that's pretty much it: aggression drives what they want to do (e.g. eager to take over their neighbors territory), caution determines when they're willing to do it (e.g. only when they have weak neighbors).
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

Race portraits are still images only - time and resources don't allow more than that I'm afraid.

But on the bright side, that makes them pretty easy to mod and add your own

Agreed, we don't need moving images
Huh?
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

I agree as well!
morbug

Post by morbug »

I simply had to register to the forums just to respond to this (and other similar posts):

You do realize that the game is almost done, right? And that it's a game and as such an abstraction/simplification of the "real world", right? Also, most of you (including me) haven't actually played the game yet.

What I want to say is that the game designer probably have the best overview of how the game is supposed to work, a vision if you will. He and the testers have been playing/designing the game for months, trying to make it a fun experience for as many people as possible while still being close to his vision. I think we at least want the game released, want to read some AARs, watch some more movies etc before we declare that "My Favourite Feature (tm) has to be in the game". I'm not a games designer but I do know about feature creep and bloated and unnecessarily complicated software. Sometimes you need to eliminate features, simplify things or make things more abstract in order to make them usable/fun.

It's perfectly good to have opinions and express them, but there are at least one thread with suggestions for future expansions already. I'm sure that many of your ideas will be considered for a future expansion, or perhaps a patch, but nothing new will be added to the release version of the game since the release is so close. I know that if I were a cook and a bunch of people stood around me shouting what ingredients I must use in my meal when it's almost done I'd be slightly annoyed, no matter how good advice it might be. Elliot seems to have more patience than me though ;)

That said I'm really looking forward to the release and will buy the game the second it's out.
Okim

Post by Okim »

Very well said!
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I am eager to see what the Humans look like,and their backstory.I hope the picture does not have a orange suited bold man.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

ORIGINAL: morbug

I simply had to register to the forums just to respond to this (and other similar posts):

You do realize that the game is almost done, right? And that it's a game and as such an abstraction/simplification of the "real world", right? Also, most of you (including me) haven't actually played the game yet.

What I want to say is that the game designer probably have the best overview of how the game is supposed to work, a vision if you will. He and the testers have been playing/designing the game for months, trying to make it a fun experience for as many people as possible while still being close to his vision. I think we at least want the game released, want to read some AARs, watch some more movies etc before we declare that "My Favourite Feature (tm) has to be in the game". I'm not a games designer but I do know about feature creep and bloated and unnecessarily complicated software. Sometimes you need to eliminate features, simplify things or make things more abstract in order to make them usable/fun.

It's perfectly good to have opinions and express them, but there are at least one thread with suggestions for future expansions already. I'm sure that many of your ideas will be considered for a future expansion, or perhaps a patch, but nothing new will be added to the release version of the game since the release is so close. I know that if I were a cook and a bunch of people stood around me shouting what ingredients I must use in my meal when it's almost done I'd be slightly annoyed, no matter how good advice it might be. Elliot seems to have more patience than me though ;)

That said I'm really looking forward to the release and will buy the game the second it's out.

Don't know what is the problem .I was not trying to offend developers or their efforts. I even wouldn't care about any features if I thougt that this game is bad. So I believe that Matrix will do an excellent job as usuall. If I am correct you don't like the idea of postponing the release... and that is your right. I really wouldnt mind the postponent if that means more polishing, features and bug elimination. We waited WITP-AE for years, there were many release dates... and were moved a few times... and I got mad about that two or three times... but when they finally released it- it was a gem. So, I really don't mind waiting a bit more for more polished gem. Because I plan to play it for years and scrap buggy Space Empires 5 (which is excellent and awfull game on the same time). And since the Matrix post release support is excellent, I'm sure there will be many new features in future patches.
And do you really think that I have such an influence on developers that they are going to listen to me??! [;)] We are all just making suggestions...
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

I am eager to see what the Humans look like,and their backstory.I hope the picture does not have a orange suited bold man.
A "bold" looking man would be fine, but not an Orange suited "bald" one. [:D]

Sorry Ash I couldn't let that one pass by. lol

So what you're really saying is that Armada's human pic doesn't suit your tastes well? I kinda agree.

JosEPh [;)]
"old and slow.....Watch out!"
morbug

Post by morbug »

Don't know what is the problem .I was not trying to offend developers or their efforts. I even wouldn't care about any features if I thougt that this game is bad. So I believe that Matrix will do an excellent job as usuall. If I am correct you don't like the idea of postponing the release... and that is your right. I really wouldnt mind the postponent if that means more polishing, features and bug elimination. We waited WITP-AE for years, there were many release dates... and were moved a few times... and I got mad about that two or three times... but when they finally released it- it was a gem. So, I really don't mind waiting a bit more for more polished gem. Because I plan to play it for years and scrap buggy Space Empires 5 (which is excellent and awfull game on the same time). And since the Matrix post release support is excellent, I'm sure there will be many new features in future patches.
And do you really think that I have such an influence on developers that they are going to listen to me??! [;)] We are all just making suggestions...

I'm sure you're not out to offend anyone, I'm just saying that you might want to try the game itself before deciding that you have to be able to do this or that. For my part, I can wait for as long as it takes to get the game finished. But I do want to see and try the game Elliot has designed, not a game that's designed by the forumites. It might not be perfect but it will be his vision and it sounds like I'll enjoy it very much. After we've seen it in action, we can easier decide what we'd like Elliot to add etc. What you're saying in the quote above is that you don't believe the game is finished: that it needs carriers, fighters and ways to commit genocide to be complete. This is where I disagree; I don't think any of us can tell when the game is complete, it's up to Elliot and Matrix Games.

All this is IMO etc, etc
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

A "bold" looking man would be fine, but not an Orange suited "bald" one. [:D]

Sorry Ash I couldn't let that one pass by. lol

So what you're really saying is that Armada's human pic doesn't suit your tastes well? I kinda agree.

JosEPh [;)]

I agree. I stated this when I first saw the screen shot before Armada 2526 was released. I knew it would be mocked in the future. I had thought that they might change it but I guess they were short on time to change it...or they like it. Funny that that Human portrait design was approved.

tm.asp?m=2275250&mpage=1&key=silly? : thread of

http://www.ntronium.com/Armada2526%20Gallery.html : screen shots
quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
The human picture looks a little silly, as does the smile of the three eyed alien. I guess I like more seriousness in these types of games. Jokes in Galactic Civilizations 2 were annoing(as was it's awful, though applauded by some, external ship design).

Couldn't agree more about GC2. The human does look like an action man or something, and the AROM is also weird. If you think the Teyes are silly, wait till you see the Walden :D

quote:

I hope there are alot of "high" technologies like destroying and creating planets and stars; terraforming; gigantic planet sized stations, maybe even Halos/Orbitals, Ringworlds, and Sphereworlds. I'd be disapointed if the major planet hitter was only an asteroid weapon. That seems kind of backwards for "high" technology civilizations portrayed in much science fiction.

The game is mainly about ships, and tactical and strategical aspects. There are some impressive ships, built from impressive materials ;)
There's some "magic" too. Hehe.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: morbug

I'm sure you're not out to offend anyone, I'm just saying that you might want to try the game itself before deciding that you have to be able to do this or that. For my part, I can wait for as long as it takes to get the game finished. But I do want to see and try the game Elliot has designed, not a game that's designed by the forumites. It might not be perfect but it will be his vision and it sounds like I'll enjoy it very much. After we've seen it in action, we can easier decide what we'd like Elliot to add etc. What you're saying in the quote above is that you don't believe the game is finished: that it needs carriers, fighters and ways to commit genocide to be complete. This is where I disagree; I don't think any of us can tell when the game is complete, it's up to Elliot and Matrix Games.

All this is IMO etc, etc
Many of us DO know what is not in the game. Thus this thread. It's not that difficult. Plus, thread like this are fun.

We have read the forum and articles. We have seen the screen shots and videos. Developers and testers have answered questions.

tm.asp?m=2379285 : Facts about Distant Worlds

I sort of DO think the game would be incomplete without genocide options and planetary bombardment.

tm.asp?m=2391696 : wish list thread
Any game of this genre without planetary bombardment and post conquest genocide options seems like an unfinished product. Games that I can think of in this genre all had it and those games that did not have it upon release later added it. Thus, it seems, that any game of this genre should be released with it.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”