RANDOM SHIP COMMANDERS

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Herrbear

RANDOM SHIP COMMANDERS

Post by Herrbear »

When you look at a ship commander in the game that a Random commander is assigned, the name shows as Smith J.

When looking at assigned leaders for a ship, the name shows as Smith, J.

The random leaders do not seem to be listed in the Leader section when looking at the editor for a scenario. I assume that there is a separate random leader database? If you wanted to create more random leaders could you just type Smith J. in the editor and would the game use them as a randomly assigned leader?

It appears it works that way for any type of leader, air, sea or land.

Thank you.
Buck Beach

RE: RANDOM SHIP COMMANDERS

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: Herrbear

When you look at a ship commander in the game that a Random commander is assigned, the name shows as Smith J.

The random leaders do not seem to be listed in the Leader section when looking at the editor for a scenario. I assume that there is a separate random leader database? If you wanted to create more random leaders could you just type Smith J. in the editor and would the game use them as a randomly assigned leader?

Thank you.

Seems like no one knows the answer Brum.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

More broadly I have the same question for all commanders.

Is it possible to run out of commanders of any type in the campaing scenarios? I am doing a Mod off the campaign that adds a good amount of Jap ships. If I do a random commander assignment for these incremental ships, will I also need to add commanders to ensure the pool does not deplete by the end of the scenario?

Thanks
Andy M
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

I've been working on an Free french controlled Indochina senario. I've added some ships and just found out I'm gonna have to add some french ship leaders, because the shisp are all coming up with Staff Officer. The only choices i get are those that i'v created for the French. I've added some IJN/Thai forces but have not seen the same problem.

Any one else see this yet?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Thank you.

If you choose the 000 Random Leader option for a ship captain, the game will assign one to it at game start. It will usually pick the best suited one, but not always. But there is no separate list, the leader is chosen from the right nationality and service branch from the regular leaders table.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Norm3

I've been working on an Free french controlled Indochina senario. I've added some ships and just found out I'm gonna have to add some french ship leaders, because the shisp are all coming up with Staff Officer. The only choices i get are those that i'v created for the French. I've added some IJN/Thai forces but have not seen the same problem.

Any one else see this yet?

Staff Officer means you are out of named officers of the proper service branch and nationality in the leader table, and you are just getting a generic officer to fill the slot. Not really sure of the stats on staff officer, or if they are randomly generated.
Distant Worlds Fan

topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Thanks

This helps.

To interpret your comments, I can auto assign commanders to my incremental ships in the Mod I am working. If I come up with a "Staff Officer" then I know I have filled out the pool and probably want to put more in.

Andy M
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Thank you.

If you choose the 000 Random Leader option for a ship captain, the game will assign one to it at game start. It will usually pick the best suited one, but not always. But there is no separate list, the leader is chosen from the right nationality and service branch from the regular leaders table.

I could be wrong but as Herrbear has stated the Random Leaders seem to have a different entry format than that of the assigned leaders (eg Smith J and Smith, J.-notice the coma separation). Check it out!

Buck
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Thank you.

I could be wrong but as Herrbear has stated the Random Leaders seem to have a different entry format than that of the assigned leaders (eg Smith J and Smith, J.-notice the coma separation). Check it out!

Buck

Actually, I've always seen the generics come up simply as 'Staff Officer'. Of course since I usually play the Japanese side and not the Allied, that doesn't mean the tables aren't different.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”