Map Editor

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Ghstbear

Map Editor

Post by Ghstbear »

Hello. I am just arriving. I love this game. Fantastic. I could go on, but no.
I have been working on creating maps. I am having difficulty with getting timed events to occur. Actually the only one I have need of thus far is producing text on the screen at the specific time requested. What would you list as the event? Any idea why it would not post the text?
jureidinim

RE: Map Editor

Post by jureidinim »

Hmmm - haven't used the editor in awhile - just checking and it seems the MapEditor with the download version of the game doesn't allow Events (at least mine doesn't [:D]). If it did, there would be an "Event" button you can click on to set them. In your case, you would set the message and then the trigger/time it is to be displayed.

LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

What ? The free download should include editor v7.5.0 with events enabled. Can you check ?

If you have v7.5.0 then click Event -> Text and enter a text. Then click Time and select the text. Keep event type 'none' if you just want to display text.

jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB
What ? The free download should include editor v7.5.0 with events enabled. Can you check ?

If you have v7.5.0 then click Event -> Text and enter a text. Then click Time and select the text. Keep event type 'none' if you just want to display text.

It is possible i have mixed up the versions on my machine - but the version i currently have here in the TOS folder is 6.3.1

I DO have the latest - 7.5.0 - so again, it may just be me having multiple versions since the early days of TOS.

@Ghstbear - what version do you have? You'll see the version under HELP --> About.. menu option.
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

I do have 7.5.0.  I had an older version of the game and wept sadly to leave my comrades behind, but the ability to create missions and campaigns is worth it.  LarkinVB was helpful.  I wasn't sure if that was the problem.  I have tried it both ways.  I have set the timed event with text only, then I gave  it an event type.  Neither worked for me.  I know I read somewhere the minimum trigger is 1 sec.  I have it set to after 2 and before 3 seconds.  I have a sound set as well to incoming transmission, and number of times set to 1.  Any ides?  It just trudges right along through those game seconds as if nothing happens.  I made a work around by making sure it activates when the ally reaches a certain hex on there route, but I know some situations where I might like it another way.  It is admirable the way they made all of this free.  It really shows the purest motive.  I will post my first mission and see what others think.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I have it set to after 2 and before 3 seconds.

Random trigger times are not working with v1.2.1 ! Try setting before and after to same values. Some more features of editor v7.5.0 did not make it into v1.2.1 of TOS. This includes NOAI hex flags for different teams as well as random times for airdrops and team airdrops.

I fixed this for 1.2.2, PM me your email and I can send it to you.
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

Ahh - you were using the random triggers. Larkin is right. That feature wasn't working. You have to set both (after.. and before..) times to be the same.
He has patched this in his unofficial patch 1.2.2 - and it works great!
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Thanks, friends.  It worked.  Now I really must tell you, I used to play Battletech many years ago.  The map version, without computers.  I loved the complexity of it, and I loved the accuracy of all the calculations that had to be considered.  The details can bog down the excitement, though.  I often thought it would have been great on computer.  When I stumbled upon this game I was so impressed.  It did the same things, but also looks like it has become it's own idea.  You have made a fantastic game.  I hate all the mindless "action" games out there.  Let the battle be a game of chess!
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

Yes - once you get the hang of this game, it hard to stop.. lol

If you need any more help with the map editor just give a shout. I'm a bit rusty, but with the new changes in 1.2.2, I feel another campaign brewing... heh heh
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Campaign ready ? [:'(]
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

Campaign ready ? [:'(]

Sadly - no. Life got busy (my 2 daughters have now come to live with me - second one came in January). Trying to be a decent dad and all :-)

However - i would ask - anyone still playing:
1) What jock level would you like a campaign for? My earlier ones targeted the lower levels. This was mainly due to my (lack of) experience with higher levels, and the the lower level play seemed more intense - higher levels the fights seemed to be slower - slower titans, tougher titans taking more damage (my personal observation - i truly have not had that many higher level encounters).

2) does everyone have the same version of the game? I know Larkin has been doing unofficial updates - this may be a problem (or not?).

3) There was a campaign format i was toying with and I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing it. Basically, it would allow some form of branching in campaign stories. It wouldn't be based on a total win/loss (of course that may be included), but maybe partial wins/objectives met.

An example could be the story has you looking for a certain titan type. The earlier missions could have a randomized titan appearing in them. If at any point it appears (randomizer picks it), and you defeat it, you would then LOAD another mini campaign to continue the story. As long as you do not find/defeat this titan, you continue the existing campaign (which would eventually end in a mandatory fight against this titan anyway to continue the story).

Another example could be on a certain mission, the player is told told to start a new mini-campaign (name given) if you lose your leader in the upcoming fight.

The text stating what the conditions are, and which missions/campaigns to load based on what results, would of course be in the Briefing and end results text for the appropriate mission. Where none is found, you continue on the campaign as per normal.
Some surprise could be done here by ONLY putting this text in the end results screen. Example:
"If you leader survived continue this campaign"
"If your leader died, load campaign XXXX"
"If you were able to salvage an enemy Titan, load campaign YYYY".

Something like that... [:)]

This means:
a) More work for the designer to make all these branches and mini campaigns and keep the story consistent.
b) A bit of a "disjoint" for the player as at certain points they would have to manually exit a "campaign-sequence" and load another.
c) The replayability may be extended as your path through the campaign could be different the next time through based on the objectives met.

thoughts?
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

1) I'd like to see a midlevel campaign, starting around 4 or 5.

2) Should be no problem if you write: at least v1.2.2 beta required with download link in the briefing.

3) I really like the idea. Sad enough I do not have the editors code to make it work with branching.

Cheers mate.
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Jureidinim,
Did you mean doing all of this within the current programming? Do you think it is possible?
It is similar to 'choose your own adventure' books. You would be using mini-campaigns to "add up" to a larger campaign, and relying on the user to keep themselves honest. Then again with those books, what stopped a reader from reading other pages, except that they wouldn't make sense?
Do I understand your idea?
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

@GhstBear - yes - using the current editor. It would be like those books, and you are right - there would be no way of "forcing" a player to follow the sequence. The game does a good job of keeping you honest within a campaign, but if i give a choice for the player to start a secondary campaign/mission, there is no way (currently) in the code to enforce that. I hope the players will follow the path laid out as it would be the best way story-wise [:)]

It is a lot of work for the designer - as I am finding out in this campaign i'm doing [:D] - but i hope it pays off with a good player experience.

Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

I like it. It gives me ideas too.
You seem to be a man who has quite an active imagination. Have you ever turned a mission into a who dunnit? It seems possible. Or maybe just making a certain large, nearly impossible to defeat titan appear only if you did not enter a certain hex? You have to manipulate terrain to keep final objectives secret until the right time. Any thoughts, or advice?

I am going to try a campaign soon, too. But I want to finish someone else's very long campaign first. I think it was Reliable Royce. His is 12 missions long.
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

ORIGINAL: Ghstbear

I like it. It gives me ideas too.
You seem to be a man who has quite an active imagination. Have you ever turned a mission into a who dunnit? It seems possible. Or maybe just making a certain large, nearly impossible to defeat titan appear only if you did not enter a certain hex? You have to manipulate terrain to keep final objectives secret until the right time. Any thoughts, or advice?

I am going to try a campaign soon, too. But I want to finish someone else's very long campaign first. I think it was Reliable Royce. His is 12 missions long.

A who dunnit campaign ? hmm.. the closest i've come to that would be my Rebel Hunter campaign in the last (official) patch.
There *is* a little of that in the campaign i'm currently doing so stay tuned [:D]

The events are pretty cool for this game and you can manipulate them to do quite a bit. Text messages helps to get the meaning of your events across to the players, as the same event for say an explosion could be many things in any given mission depending on the designer - it could be artillery strikes, bombing runs, or a ... hmm.. i'll save that one - it'll hopefully be in my final mission in my current campaign.. heh heh [:)]

I think those texts are really essential so if a player hears an explosion and sees his jock making a pilot skill check - he would like to know exactly what just hit him!

Two things i would have loved to have seen:
1) Multiple events on the same hex
2) The ability for an event to trigger another event. Example: Set a field event on a comm array for a friendly titan to call in an airstrike some seconds later. Once the hex is entered, show the appropriate text and then trigger an explosion event on the map say 30 - 60 secs later (time set by designer).
Right now, to accomplish that, you have to do some tricks like have a hidden titan run a set patrol route, and set field events along the way for it to trigger.
That titan would start running (CALL TITAN) only when the player enters the comm array hex.
Make sure to hide him well behind some high mountains or some far off island the player can't reach or see.
(I did this in my Hold Out campaign).

If you have any specific questions when you start your campaign, ask away. I'll be glad to help.
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

I did confirm that when you have multiple versions of the same mission in a campaign, after you do one of them the others disappear too. This is an interesting (accidental?) feature. Basically it means that you could branch a story line at each mission in the campaign. Of course, you would have to find a way to tie them into each other at the end, or the whole thing could get quite complicated for the user. Also, in the mission briefing you need to make clear which story line it is, because there is no way to do that from the selection menu. Do you follow?
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Now that I am done the campaign I was working on, I did try out your Rebel Hunter campaign. It was nice. You do well with the mission conversations. The first few missions were pretty easy. I liked the sixth mission. When you are all organized, and someone throws in a bunch of enemy titans it surely is a surprise that makes you scramble! You seemed to know right where to put them. Very nice. The last mission was definitely the best, and a bit more challenging. It is the equivalent of establishing a beachhead, and I hadn't seen that done before.

Return to “Tech Support”